I Drive a Seven ...

Discussion in '1998 Caterham Super Seven' started by Slartybartfast, Aug 9, 2002.

1. The model shown is the "entry" level model - it's pretty much the one I have (except mine has nicer looking "cycle" wings and a decent paint job). As many people have said in the other threads - this is not a representative vehicle for demonstrating what it can do.

I have one of these and drive it every day. I take people out for rides and when I stomp on the loud pedal or the brake, the response is usually "F(*&!!", "Oh my $&$!!!" or "SH*&!!!". And people usually wet themselves when I take a corner posted "10" at 35mph. It can *sustain* well over 1G lateral acceleration.

As far as I am aware, the superlight R500 still holds the 0-100mph-0 record for *ANY* production road car. It smokes Porsches, Corvettes, Ferraris, Vipers and just about anything else.

The only thing the Seven doesn't have is flat out speed. Even the R500 tops out at about 140mph or so. The Seven isn't about speed - it's about getting there.

I must get my act together and submit an R500 data sheet. It would shut the critics up.

2. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

good point, this ain't a muscle car ppl can't seem to get that <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

Yeah, people don't respect the feeling of an open roadster, slung about an inch off the ground. I bet this, and the Lotus version it is based on, would be astonding to drive.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

the westfield mega busa is faster than this:
    R500 0-60:3.4
    mega busa 0-60:3.2<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

So, who cares which is fast in 0-60? Also, .2 seconds can easily come down to the skill of the driver.
    Also, do note that the Caterham's are reputed to have a much better build quality than the westfields.
    If you really wish to pick nits, then the Tiger Z100 or whatever does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

6. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

I wasn't aware that 0-100-0 time was all that great due to braking deficiencies of the Caterham. Still it's a PURE and great vehicle.

7. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bobbybrown</i>
    <b>I wasn't aware that 0-100-0 time was all that great due to braking deficiencies of the Caterham. Still it's a PURE and great vehicle.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Braking deficiencies ?!?!?

I have a bottom of the range Seven with "standard" brakes - and it brakes as well as any Porsche (60-0 in about 120 feet). The Superlight R500 has 4-pot, vented and drilled disks!

I don't think braking is the problem ..... ;)

8. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

In any Caterham or light weight sports car like this, it doesn't matter how fast you are going because you feel as if you are going 10 times that of the speedo reading. (Apart from when you are stoped)
    That is why they are great cars.

9. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

SO TRUE ABOUT THE TURNING.THIS CATERHAM CAN TURN GREAT!

10. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

i drive a seven...
    PUNK!

11. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

This car is #$%#king ugly, and it has a slow 0-60 time than a lawn mower. I hate this car.

12. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

for 20 grand this is one hell of a sporter

13. Re: I Drive a Seven ...

You Lucky