I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

Discussion in '1993 Mazda RX-7 JM1FD' started by vacanyols, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Hi guys i am proud to say that I am going to buy a jap supercar :p (within my range of cash) probably at ebay , anyways i `ve being told some pretty harsh stuff bout rx-7`s and supras seem to be alot more expensive. is it true that is hard to maintain mazda engines? and that the engine nees to be COMPLETELY CHANGED at 80k miles and a whole lot of stuff like they heat up alot and blow up on you!! :(

2. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

Man, don't listen to that bull shit. The rotary engine that they have in the RX-7s are basically the engine of a small Cesna airplane. My friend down the road has an older version of an RX-7 and the only thing he's got to do is fix up the front end 'cause his dad was, how to say... not with the program at the time and hit a tree at the end of his driveway. Other than that, the engine is still perfect. Don't listen when they say that the engine will overheat and blow. The only way that'll happen is if you decide to redline it all the time and the oil pressure goes down to nothing. Just watch out for that though, because it is a five speed standard transmission. Good luck with your decision. ;)<!-- Signature -->

3. #3 JinAtWork, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

The Rx7 is a great choice depending where you live and your climate, this will be your ultimate factor of your engine. If you live in a Hot weather climate all the time, I suggest you get a Koyo or Floidyne(not sure spelling) Radiator before doing anything else and also make sure to CHECK ALL THE HOSES for LEAKS. The Problem for Rx7 is that after one overheating you will need to change the O-ring and practically a engine rebuild around ~$3500. If you get the Koyo Radiator it will be fine due to it is 2 1/2 times larger then stock and will cool down your engine a lot better. If you want more cooling which I suggest you do if you are going to race, I would change the front bumper due to the design is not very adaquate for the amount of Air the RX7 needs. Another thing to change is the pre-Cat, it is know for failing and as result in Massive over heating and engine fire, simple soulution is the change it with a downpipe and getting rid of the pre-cat completely(Mazda have 2 catlyic"spelled wrong" converters and you will probably gain a few hp from removing the precat too!! =D). Last thing to change to make it really safe is the Air Separator Tank (AST), Mazda try to save money and made this part with plastic and is know for cracking. When this tank cracks you will loose all your coolant less then 2 mins and your piece of $#!^ temp guage will not tell you until is too late (change the stock temp guage too, is garbage). DO NOT OVERHEAT your RX7 and it will treat you fine. All these parts together should be less then $1000, if you live around NY then I suggest you bring it to Dave in PA, he will probably charge you less then $1000 including labor.

You want to talk to the real pro- go talk to Dave at www.KDrotary.com.
    He is the only one I trust with my car with and I drive 5 hours to see him, DONT EVER GO TO A DEALER, THEY TRY TO %$#% ME OVER BY SAYING THAT I NEED TO REPLACE THE WHOLE ENGINE WHEN ALL I NEEDED WAS NEW HOSES AND GAVE me A ESTIMATE OF $3600 WHEN DAVE FIXED IT FOR $60! THE DEALER DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR DUE TO LOW PRODUCTION AND ALMOST NONE GO BACK TO THE SHOP FOR THEM TO PRACTICE ON!!! BEWEAR OF THE DEALER!!!!

4. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

Nice post Jin, its good to see there are actually people who know about somthing about the cars they are posting about, you basically summed it all up, if you treat the engine well, the engine will perform. But you just need to be aware of what is happening in the engine, check your gauges, dont put tremendous boost or pressure on a stock engine, its just simple stuff that everyone should do anyway. Its just that piston engines just take the abuse better (in my opinion anyway)

5. #5 Phanofmuzik, Aug 26, 2002
    Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

if ya happen to live in texas, in garland right outside dallas theres a really nice rx7 shop called rotary proformance ( www.rx7.com) they seem to know wtf they doin. also, nice post man!

6. #6 SRCE, Sep 1, 2002
  7. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

Well heres some unusual advice.
    Since the apex seals are the critical things that fail and have to be replaced shell out for the top of the line ceramic or carbon composite apex seals. Have your housings and your end plates coated with something like titanium nitride (fairly in expensive to have done). Now what use is shelling out a grand or two for some seals and coatings?

You'll never have to replace the seals for the life of the engine which would be extended to about 300,000 miles ...

8. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

I love you!

lol, nobody else would answer me when I asked about higher quality apex seals, thank you!

9. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

But what about the other things on the car? I have heard stories that things such as the air conditoner and the turbos will fail quickly. I would love to get an rx7 over a supra so I could save quite a bit of money. (I saw a stock tt supra on autotrader the other day with 56k miles on it going for $60,000. Now that is just excessive.)

10. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

"I judge a car based on what's under the hood, not what badge it wears."

one of the VERY VERY few who agree with me, nice to see

11. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

The motor doesn't need to be changed at 80k. It needs to be rebuilt BEFORE 80k. Just make sure the Rx7 you buy has had that done. A clean FD3S, with a perfect interior, and a freshly rebuilt motor, should run you under 25k. A friend of mine recently purchased one, and it has 77k miles on it, with a full engine/turbo rebuild done at 70k, and he paid 20k. Has had no problems with it, except he added too much oil once and blew out the front seals.

12. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

Will the BS never cease. WHERE do you guys get this crap? A small Cessna has a flat 4 or 6 cylinder engine with 1950's technology. And my 1979 RX 7 had stock apex seals that would go 300,000 miles. Just the facts boys!

13. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

I have a second generation RX-7 with 157,000 miles. The engine has never been replaced, or rebuilt. I drove it from CAlifornia to Idaho in a day without problems. So that is proof to the reliability of these rotary engines!

14. Re: I need help from expert mechanic or previous rx 7 owner

If and when you do rebuild the motor, I highly suggest not installing carbon apex seals and just go with stock ones from mazda.

15. Re:

carbon apex seals are race only...i have some 2 peice apex seals for sale. good prices, send me an email: rx7parts11@hotmail.com

16. When I first start the car and step on the gas it runs real rough and then it dies,I repeat this about 3 times,once it stays running and I give it gas say at a stop sign it will sound like it's choking and some black smoke will come out of the muffler.any advice would be appreiciated.

17. im currently looking for a 1998 RX-7 manual i really want to hook up with a Fortune body kit and ya set it up for fun weekends any ideas???