I SPIT on your "Masterpiece"

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by beliveinfiction, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Re: I SPIT on your

Hence the turbos. (i.e. greater displacement of air in chamber). But those are resticted too. Is there an unlimited class? That would be insane!!!!!

2. Re: I SPIT on your

I dun't think so.

3. Re: I SPIT on your

So what's wrong with reving it to 8000rpm,I love doing that and shit this revs up to 9000rpm.

4. Re: I SPIT on your

He's reffering to off the line RPM. You like dumping your clutch at 8000 RPM!? Who says torque is overrated?

5. Re: I SPIT on your

read the very frist post in this fourm thats whats wrong with reving to nine grand.

6. Re: I SPIT on your

It's nothin wrong since this car is well engineered.

7. Re: I SPIT on your

He was not reffering to damaging the engine buy more to the fact that it sucks having to dump the clutch at high rpms to get a good start. And also the fact that it is a pain in the ass to not have power at all RPMs.

8. Re: I SPIT on your

There is not a car that has a perfect powerband, american cars tend to lose a lot of grunt in the last few thousand RPM's. Speed is speed, cars with lots of torque, tend to get a really good start, higher revving vehicles like the ones from our friends at Honda, generally you have to rev them higher to get all the power out of them, the only gear that you should have to worry about speed in if your a bad driver is 1. If you feather your clutch out (dont dump it) at 7500 you still get a good launch. Thing about the high revving engine is that it is good for daily driving, do you know how fast these cars are at higher speeds? Considering they only have 240HP which is still a lot for a car that doesn't weigh dick all. Do you how good this car is on a track? Did you know that it is technically a midship engine as the engine itself sits behind the front axle, did you know the car has perfect 50/50 weight distribution, do you know how fun it is to drive this car, the shifter is in the perfect place, have you heard the notes this engine hits its like a 50,000 dollar Ferrari, did you know that this car is as fast as a Boxter S which costs 90,000, did you know that Honda makes some of the worlds most reliable cars thats why they cost a little more then some of you would like, they hold there value much better then american cars so they arent that expensive when it comes time to buy a new one, I mean really people, stop comparing shit like this to shit like american musclem they are built for totally different purposes. This car is truely an engineering marvel, if you don't like it fine, but dont be a hater.

9. Re: I SPIT on your

Again I will argue that this car is not an "engineering marvel". Its well built and an excelent preformer but the technologies that are used to acheive its power have all been used somewhere else before.

10. Re: I SPIT on your

"Thing about the high revving engine is that it is good for daily driving"

-Wouldn't you figure that a car that had power at any RPM would be a better daily driver. My 'Black silverado' has lots of grunt off the line but when it gets up in the RPMs it definately doesn't run out of power. In fact, quite the opposite.

Sure its great that the S2000 can a achieve such a high efficeincy rating and that it is quick and good at handling and not overly expensive.

11. Re: I SPIT on your

i'd agree with most of what was said there. as a technical excercise in how far you can push a naturaly aspirate motor honda has done well.
    I've driven one of these cars and I have to disagree with Car & Drivers exagerated claims, it's not that bad. Also lots of magazines rave about how flexible it really is (there may be a huge difference between US-spec and jap-spec i don't know, the latter has more power too).
    S2000 does have good power delivery, you can use the engine right from down around 1500rpm, its just you have to wait for VTEC to get anywhere extra quickly.
    Having driven one, the engine was still fun, but even a ferrari 3.5 V8 has a much more flexible powerband. You get what you pay for no doubt.
    Honda should have gone turbo, as to make the same power a small low pressure turbo would have done the job, and kicked in very low down in the rpm range. A turbo is more interactive and controllable (addictive :D) compared to the on-off of vtec

I've driven a car with a single large T88 turbo once, and you had to wait for 6000rpm for the turbo to spool and make 35psi of boost, which only lasted till around 8500rpm. S2000's incarnation of VTEC has the same effect except you get around 10-20% more torque instead of 300%.
    S2000 is entirely different to say a older 2.2 litre VTEC prelude, where those engines mades good low end torque, and the VTEC is only there to continue that torque up to where it can make horsepower. However stretching anything past that level VTEC runs out of steam.

In my opinion honda neglected to investigate variable intake geometry systems, and variable valve timing in adition to VTEC cam changing. These would have completely cured s2000's asthmatic low speed pace.

12. Re: I SPIT on your

The car is good for daily driving because even in low end it has more acceleration then the vast majority of cars in the road today, and unlike the cars with lots of torque this car can still be winter driven, by bro drives his in the winter with no serious problems.

13. Re: I SPIT on your

My dad had 13 sec 66 Mustang with a 289. It was close to stock. He drove it every day no matter what the conditions. He said second gear starts is the trick. My truck runs around 350 lb/ft of torque with no weight in the back and (until next week) worn tires. I drive it thriugh Canadian Blizzards every single day. Sure it likes to spin the tires but it is nothing major. Anything with rear wheel drive will behave the same way. Even 240 SX's like to get a bit sideways in the worst of weather. If you run winter tires on a car then should be able to drive it through almost anything.

14. Re: I SPIT on your

Yes but the more torque you have the better a driver you have to be, comprende?

15. Re: I SPIT on your

In terms of driveabilty I usually think of things like being able to idle on a hot day, and being able to with stand constant driving. While torque does provide a bit more of a challenge in the winter its not that big of a deal as long as you have radials.

16. Re: I SPIT on your

if you own a viper your in trouble, no winter tires are made that big

17. Re: I SPIT on your

I actually, back to what I said before, I heard vipers tend to overheat too. Even with winter tires I wouldn't run a viper in the winter. Too many crazy drivers out there.

18. Re: I SPIT on your

So, you're telling us that you're 1990 Civic Si, with a 1.6L, non VTEC, all of 108hp bone stock 4 banger can beat a V8 powered car? PUHLEEZZZZAA.
    I run into idiots like you all the time in my Grand Am, let alone in my Vette. One thing you guys need to learn is that most guys with fast cars don't want to waste their gas/tires/clutch racing a little shit box. Just because you're racing doesn't mean the other guy is, you pull away because they can't be bothered. I could put Schummacher ( I think thats how you spell his name-sorry if it's not) in your Civic and my mother in my Vette and she would smoke him. Wake up man, you're dreaming, unless you have those stickers on your car, then I can understand how your car is faster. LOL at you and your kind.

19. Re: I SPIT on your

So, you're telling us that you're 1990 Civic Si, with a 1.6L, non VTEC, all of 108hp bone stock 4 banger can beat a V8 powered car? PUHLEEZZZZAA.
    I run into idiots like you all the time in my Grand Am, let alone in my Vette. One thing you guys need to learn is that most guys with fast cars don't want to waste their gas/tires/clutch racing a little shit box. Just because you're racing doesn't mean the other guy is, you pull away because they can't be bothered. I could put Schummacher ( I think thats how you spell his name-sorry if it's not) in your Civic and my mother in my Vette and she would smoke him. Wake up man, you're dreaming, unless you have those stickers on your car, then I can understand how your car is faster. LOL at you and your kind.

20. Re: I SPIT on your

So, because you "know your car", and you think you can shift better than EVERYONE else on the road, your 108hp 1.6L 1990 Civic Si can beat a V8powered car. RRRRIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTT...........

OK, listen carefully, just because you're racing, doesn't mean the other guy is. Most idiots in cars like yours think they're fast, while people who drive cars that are fast, won't waste their gas/tires/clutchon a POS econobox like you car. Unless of course you have stickers all over your car, then I apologize, you are the fastest.......

By the way, what about those guys in their 80s Camaros with 5.7L/automatic powertrain, they don't have to shift, can you beat them too?

Did it leave a mark when you hit your head, or was it all internal damage??

21. Re: I SPIT on your

I like this car, it's very good looking and from what I've heard, a great handling machine. The only problem is the lack of low end grunt. I read in Motor Trend that they launched it at close to redline, and it hit 0-60 in 5.4 sec. Wow. That's incredible for its displacement. But how many people will drive their own S2000 like that? They also said they launched at (a still pretty high) 5,000rpm, and it took about 11 sec. Their words, not mine. If you like a car with razor sharp handling, and don't mind the noise this car makes to get the performace out of it, then this is your dream car. But it is compromised, just like every other car out there, I know, I drive a 96 Vette, (talk about a love/hate relationship, all you Vette guys, you know what I mean), but with all the stupid things I hate about my car, I love it for what it does right, just like honda guys love this car for what it does right. Isn't choice a wonderful thing?

22. Re: I SPIT on your

Try driving an 84 on original tires. Its like driving my truck in the snow.