If Donald Trump becomes president...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by V8stangman, Mar 5, 2016.

1. The problem with Clinton isn't that she's corrupt (it is a problem, but) it's that she's as corrupt as our current government can be but she makes it so damn obvious how much corruption there is. Most politicians like to be secretive about their dealings but she is 100% unapologetically transparent about how corrupt she is.

It used to be that we'd have to wait 50 years to find out someone sold uranium to Fuckistan but she'll just come right out and say that she did because, if you really think about it, it's in our best interests. It's scary, but it isn't any scarier than the way things currently are. It's just in our faces now.

2. Or you could think of it as; if this is the corruption we know about, imagine what we don't know.

MooSquad likes this.
  3. If he becomes president, I wonder if he will lift the sanctions on Putin#1.

4. The economy of USA#196 didn't perform so well previous quarter. Two consecutive quarters of near zero growth. Worries about another recession has gone up a notch.

Not good news for career politicians like Hillary who said America has never stopped being great.

5. He can't be elected, that'd be the worst possible outcome for USA #63. Unfortunately, Hilarious Hillary has a plan and its a bad one. You guys are fuckt :mad:

6. https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-taxes-wealthy-133248024.html

I still don't know what to make of him yet, but I must give him credit for pointing out that it takes negotiations with Congress for things to actually get done. The others try to pander to the thought they can wave a wand and magically make changes.

7. An awful trend in politics, at this appears from my perspective to be pretty global, is this weird sort of tribal warfare where each group attempts to present huge-umbrella populist parties (both their own and their rivals) as neat, homogenous stereotypes. And in the case of the primaries, this extends to the branches of the party. This has seen me, frustratingly, feel the need to defend people like Stephen Harper and George Bush in the past, who I nominally take huge disagreement with. Of course, none of the three major candidates fit their party's stereotype particularly well. But instead of recoiling, the response has been, remarkably, to double-down on this same tired sophomoric cliche. What is really disappointing is that an election that really should have served to reframe the current broken pattern of debate turned out to re-entrench it.

8. not only was this painful to read, it made no fucking sense

thx for wasting my time

Vanilla Ice likes this.
  9. This block of text is like one from a standardized exam or angry letter generator

If I understand correctly, I think your concern is with stability, and whether x thing harms the republic, which is why you're seeing the mess within both parties in the US, and you seem to find comfort in the old elite. I used to think it is a bad thing, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with a changing of the guard - as long as the republic remains stable.

10. I wasn't talking about politics at all, but how people talk about politics. How people (especially common people) attack, not a set of policies or principles, but politicians as symbols; increasingly unfaithful symbols at that. For instance, there is a Hillary Clinton, the human being, who has long and detailed policies that you can read. But this is uninteresting. It is only interesting when Hillary Clinton the person happens to coincide, no matter how briefly, with one of the things she has come to represent symbolically.

11. This has been the case since time immemorial. Some people are indolent and turn to other human beings as beacons of hope and go as far as to idolize them. They have become disenchanted knowing what may be behind the emerald tower

Just to be sure, what are you referring to when you mention the old "broken pattern of debate?"

12. it seems that the people who support trump believe the stuff that he says he believes and will do
    I feel like there is no reason to believe any of that. He says what a certain type of person likes to hear. And can you imagine the guy in foreign policy? If he is elected, I hope he has the intelligence to rely on people who are aware of how other cultures operate.

I mean, I guess I should just relax. He already says he has the best words and is going to get the best people. He also has a terrific plan to close the internet up. Hes going to get Bill Gates on it.

source: http://fortune.com/2015/12/08/donald-trump-bill-gates-internet/
    At a campaign rally aboard the USS Yorktown in Mount Pleasant, S.C., Trump suggested that Microsoft founder Bill Gates, could possibly help censor parts of the online world. “We’re losing a lot of people because of the Internet,” Trump said. “We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what’s happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way.”
    “Somebody will say, ‘Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech,'” he added, dismissing the objection with an arm wave. “These are foolish people.”

Brilliant

13. There is no reason to believe he will do anything of what he says IF he becomes the nominee. Campaign promises are just that, and if he does become the nominee he will be moulded into whatever the party wishes.

That said, this guy is unpredictable and so is the election cycle.
    Things may get complicated.

14. yeah i know the typical 'campaign promises' schtick
    but i feel like its a little different because he has no track record in politics at all. This guy has never been a politician (i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, but when it comes to foreign policy id say its bad)

I really just want a guy like bill nye to become president. or nb. i believe in science

15. He can very well keep campaign promises, but he has to navigate around the GOP first. With that comes a whole lot of issues, including the dissolution of the GOP itself. The guy is a "deal maker" so its possible things will reach a compromise, but for the time being he is viewed as adding an element of instability since he has never held office and is solvent. Regarding foreign policy, there would largely be no change unless there was overwhelming support in his campaign policies, and that will be tough.

Angela Merkel is your candidate. The closest the US has been to seeing a scientist as president have been doctors like Ben Carson and Rand/Ron Paul.

16. Ben
    Fucking
    Carson

Kill me
    Have you guys heard what he believes? Unbelievable in such a brilliant md

17. Or maybe I'm the rube

18. fkin love the word "rube"

19. Just me thinking at the minute all we need is one spark to set off the World into the next big crisis?

If you lot elect Trump he's absolutely stupid enough to be that spark.

Feels very much like the 1910's and 1930's.

20. I feel like Trump could have a great administration. He may or may not be a maniac, but I can see him assembling a decent group of people to get work done. On the other hand, he may be the only person able to light enough of a fire under both sides of the government for them to stop bickering about stupid shit and start working together, whether it's against Trump or with him.

All the hemistages in America like to go on about how Obama is such a failure, but the failure lies in how much was not done over the past 8 years because of how focused they were to not work with the president.

ETB4U and Tree Fitty like this.
  21. Reminds me of an old Dan Mintz joke. What we need in these trying times is for aliens to invade, because then everyone - whites, blacks, hispanics, asians will all put aside our differences and join forces. With the aliens, against the arabs.

Veyronman likes this.
  22. Doing more isn't necessarily a good thing. Sometimes the best thing is to do nothing. Also, no reason to work with a president if the decisions he makes are bad. In fact, I think we need to repeal a lot of laws.
    Part of me feels that Trump is just hype, like Obama was. Just on the other side of the field.

23. At Least I'm not a loser that uses multiple accounts! with this one you are supposed to be from France. But I guess it's hard to remember that with all you different accounts. right Mc777 aka Driftking?

24. Trump has insulted virtually everyone, giving them first-grader insult nicknames ("Goof Bernie", "Crazy Elizabeth Warren"... really?) and everyone hates him. The left and the right. So many Republicans won't even publicly endorse him and many others have gone out of their way to say they won't endorse him. He has virtually no political/world knowledge (he said he wouldn't be opposed to the US claiming bankruptcy... I mean, come on), he says a different thing every day and the things he really rallies behind are complete nonsense.

The wall. The wall that would be monumentally expensive to build and would never be paid for by anyone other than the United States. The wall that would be completely ineffective at keeping anyone out. The wall that would prevent a nonexistent problem (more Mexicans left the US than came in last year). The wall that is simply a way to drum up support/votes from racists and xenophobes.

I know everyone says "all politicians" are full of shit, but he takes it to another level. He's said time and time again that he would release his tax records, now he's saying he won't. Something he's demanded of other people running for office. Why won't he release it? It can really only be for one reason, because it will show just how full of shit he is. His wealth and success are EVERYTHING to him and he's likely not worth NEARLY what he claims. He talks and talks about what a great business man and how rich he is and neither are true.

I said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who supports him is either ignorant of who he is or is ignorant (and bigoted) to the world around them. He's an awful, awful candidate and would be a disastrous president.

CitroenSM likes this.
  25. Trump is nothing but hype, but I don't think you can say that about Obama even if you look at nothing but marriage equality and "Obamacare".