ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstrosity

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by Jadotch, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Ford also hand builds its SVT Cobra engines, I don't kmow if they take a loss, but they do hand build the engine.

2. This is probably best car hoda came out with but it SUCKS!!!

3. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Care to elaborate on just how it sucks?
    <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

hard<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

is ti the best honda can come up with?

6. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Your not qualified to say this car sucks. I have one, its the most perfect car ive ever been in. The fact that it holds the world record for hp to displacement ratios says something for it too. Who else could get 125hp per litre out of a normally aspirated engine? Only Honda. I have nothing but intake and exaust on mine, thats all it needs. This car in its stock form, can out-handle any domestic for the same price. Imagine, if Honda built this car with a 5.7 liter V8, it would have 712hp, now isn't that impressive? The only reason its as small as it is, is the japanese emissions regulations. By the way, domestics suck, I haven't met one that can beat me. I raced a Camaro SS, Mustang SVT Cobra R, a few Corvettes, and many other of your "fast" domestics. Even if one is faster, i can outhandle them hands down. I know your just going to find some way to diss me...but, thats just going to prove you more stupid. So, to all narrow minded domestic fans out there...ill see you on the road.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from IS300andS2000</i>
    <b>seansvettes...where to start with you...first of all, get that stick out of your ass and loosen up. second, your laugh is annoying.
    ok, for real now.

1. i have beat corvettes, like yours, more than once, its no accident. The cobra R launched too high, and sat at the light burning his tires, which is how i won. but hey, a win is a win.

2. According to supercars.net the S2000 has 250hp, making it 125 per liter, even though the factory states 240, however, with my mods, 250 is more likely.

3. If America has the sticktest car regulations, then why can we have Civics with 4 lug wheels, and in japan they all have to have 5? Thats how you tell a real Type-R from a fake. Also, japan is a small island, and its very polluted, for environmental reasons, they use smaller engines. I know this because i am japanese, and i have been there a few times.

3. The 5.7 liter 712hp engine thing was purely hypothetical. So, if its so much easier to get power out of a small engine, why doesn't ford do it? I also never said they could do it for the same price as a Camaro, but if they wanted to build a million dollar showcase car, they could do it. And since you think you know everything, you know that Honda handbuilds every S2000, and loses about $20,000 on every one they sell too, right?

4. Dont f*ckin call me stupid, im not the narrow minded kid who searches Supercar.net forums looking for kids to make fun of. I prefer actually driving my cars, not just talking about them.

5. Once again, in your narrow-minded stupidity, your going to find a way to make fun of me...i welcome it, your pretty funny when your mad.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

If my laugh is really annoying, then you should stop giving me things to laugh about. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

1: Even if you weren't lying about doing 13.7 1/4 miles (which you are), any C5 Corvette can beat that. The slowest automatics with a standard rear axle can do an easy 13.5 second 1/4 mile. Even the most avid S2000 supporters aren't stupid enough to claim they're faster than a C5 Corvette or Camaro SS in a straight line. Oh yeah, let me guess, your 10 extra horse power worth of mods gives you a full second advantage over a stock S2000, right?

2: If Japan has more strict smog laws than the US, then why hasn't the Skyline been sold in the US all this time? Um..Uh...Oh... US SMOG LAWS.

3: I didn't say it's so much easier to get more power out of a small engine. I said it's easier to get more horse power PER LITER. Why doesn't Ford do it? Because small engines have dick for torque.

4: I promise to never again call you stupid, if you promise never say something stupid (fat chance of that).

5: I'm glad you welcome me to make fun of you, as I really enjoy doing it. <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from IS300andS2000</i>
    <b>Your not qualified to say this car sucks. I have one, its the most perfect car ive ever been in. The fact that it holds the world record for hp to displacement ratios says something for it too. Who else could get 125hp per litre out of a normally aspirated engine? Only Honda. I have nothing but intake and exaust on mine, thats all it needs. This car in its stock form, can out-handle any domestic for the same price. Imagine, if Honda built this car with a 5.7 liter V8, it would have 712hp, now isn't that impressive? The only reason its as small as it is, is the japanese emissions regulations. By the way, domestics suck, I haven't met one that can beat me. I raced a Camaro SS, Mustang SVT Cobra R, a few Corvettes, and many other of your "fast" domestics. Even if one is faster, i can outhandle them hands down. I know your just going to find some way to diss me...but, thats just going to prove you more stupid. So, to all narrow minded domestic fans out there...ill see you on the road.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Damn you're a liar! You beat Corvettes? Camaro SS? and a Cobra R? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! MAYBE, you can beat an SS around corners, but you get killed in a straight line.

And for your information, it's 240 divided by 2 is 120, not 125. Let me reply to something else.

"The only reason its as small as it is, is the japanese emissions regulations"
    The United States has the most strict emissions regulations in the world, and we are able to have high displacement engines.

"if Honda built this car with a 5.7 liter V8, it would have 712hp"
    First of all, it would be physically impossible to build this exact engine design (enlarged to 5.7 liters). Second, if it had a V8 that would be a totally different engine now wouldn't it. If you really think Honda can easily make a 5.7 liter engine with 712hp for the same price as a Camaro, then why haven't they? I mean, Honda is so great at horse power per liter, they should be able to get 120 hp per liter into a 350ci engine, right? If they did that they could make billions of dollars, because a 700hp car that everyone can afford would sell like hotcakes.

You get it now? Your statement was rediculous, and you're too stupid to realize that it's much easier to get HP per liter from a smaller engine.
    <!-- Signature -->

9. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

seansvettes...where to start with you...first of all, get that stick out of your ass and loosen up. second, your laugh is annoying.
    ok, for real now.

1. i have beat corvettes, like yours, more than once, its no accident. The cobra R launched too high, and sat at the light burning his tires, which is how i won. but hey, a win is a win.

2. According to supercars.net the S2000 has 250hp, making it 125 per liter, even though the factory states 240, however, with my mods, 250 is more likely.

3. If America has the sticktest car regulations, then why can we have Civics with 4 lug wheels, and in japan they all have to have 5? Thats how you tell a real Type-R from a fake. Also, japan is a small island, and its very polluted, for environmental reasons, they use smaller engines. I know this because i am japanese, and i have been there a few times.

3. The 5.7 liter 712hp engine thing was purely hypothetical. So, if its so much easier to get power out of a small engine, why doesn't ford do it? I also never said they could do it for the same price as a Camaro, but if they wanted to build a million dollar showcase car, they could do it. And since you think you know everything, you know that Honda handbuilds every S2000, and loses about $20,000 on every one they sell too, right?

4. Dont f*ckin call me stupid, im not the narrow minded kid who searches Supercar.net forums looking for kids to make fun of. I prefer actually driving my cars, not just talking about them.

5. Once again, in your narrow-minded stupidity, your going to find a way to make fun of me...i welcome it, your pretty funny when your mad.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

First of I hardly think this car sucks. Its a nice car, and a very neat little engine which I respect what it can do.

But Using the logic that you did Chevy makes one of the most fuel effiecient cars per liter. If they used the same technology that they use for the corvette Z06 in a 2.0L engine, you'll be getting 80 miles per gallon while still getting 140 Hp and 140 lbs of Torque. No Japanesse production import can do that. Dang chevy has one of the most fuel effiecient cars on the market, due to superior engineering using traditional technology. See how dumb that sounds? Well, think about the whole 5.7 liter honda engine you were talking about.

The smaller the engine, the easier it is to produce more HP per liter. Take a honda Dirt bike engine getting around 130 Hp/L, why isn't he NSX getting around 390 HP/L? Or what about a RC planes engine, they can make around 240 Hp/L, if they made full size car engines would they only need a 1.0L engine to match Hondas? I don't think so. The larger the displacemet, the less hp you are going to get per liter using the exsact same technology.

11. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

As for number 3 of your post, he was talking emissions regulations.

12. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Your the one saying domestics suck. You are fairly narroe minded yourself if you believe all domestics suck.

13. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Seansvette, what, you thought I wouldn't see this post? You're taking my insults. And by the way, the quality of your comments haven't improved at all, so your "you're stupid" argument is pretty much a moot point. Although I will more readily side with the S2000 supporter, both of your comments are somewhat uneducated. And some of them have some truth. It is true that it is harder to get more hp/l out of a larger engine. but it is also true that American engines on the whole are on a different, less advanced technological level than those in most Japanese cars. And, btw, just because it does nothave torque, it does not mean the car is slow. it means that the car is more challenging to drive than a car w/ a 94.73L V8 with 65000lb-ft of torque and 190hp (and yes, I know these aren't the stats for any American car, but I'm using it as an example to make a point). And you American road hogs may have the straight line thing down (hell, the engines are almost triple the size, they'd damn better be fast), but any S2000 w/ $500 suspension mods will beat most American competitors w/ $1000 suspension mods. You must also remember that the Mustang nor the Camro are sports cars in my opinion. muscle cars? yeah, pony cars? sure, GT cars? yep, fast cars? maybe, BUT NOT SPORTS CARS.

14. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Actually, i dont hate domestics, ive owned a few. I had a Camaro Z28, an 96 Impala SS, and...ahem, mercury sable(well it was my moms.)
    America can produce a huge engine, but not efficiently. Every time they test a viper GTS, something goes wrong, small or large, it stops running. I watched a show where they ran all the top tuner cars against eachother. The only car that didnt break, was an RX-7. A hennessey viper, a calloway corvette, even a 700hp toyota supra all broke in some way. The point of this being, that engines wont run at maximum power efficiency, if they arent capable of it. The S2000's engine is the peak of performance for a 4 cylendar engine. Even supercharged ive never heard of any problems. However, back to the point, i choose to not own any more american cars, when there are much better ones out there. It's almost a fact that Germany makes the best cars in the world, in all aspects. BMW, the sporty/luxury cars, Mercedes, the high class/comfort cars, porsche, The high performance cars, Audi is even in there with middle class luxury cars.
    How come there isnt a huge debate on america vs. germany? Anyway, Youll never see me in a corvette. Im going for porsche, ferrari, or maserati, when i have the money to spare.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from funkadelicpyro</i>
    <b>Seansvette, what, you thought I wouldn't see this post? You're taking my insults. And by the way, the quality of your comments haven't improved at all, so your "you're stupid" argument is pretty much a moot point. Although I will more readily side with the S2000 supporter, both of your comments are somewhat uneducated. And some of them have some truth. It is true that it is harder to get more hp/l out of a larger engine. but it is also true that American engines on the whole are on a different, less advanced technological level than those in most Japanese cars. And, btw, just because it does nothave torque, it does not mean the car is slow. it means that the car is more challenging to drive than a car w/ a 94.73L V8 with 65000lb-ft of torque and 190hp (and yes, I know these aren't the stats for any American car, but I'm using it as an example to make a point). And you American road hogs may have the straight line thing down (hell, the engines are almost triple the size, they'd damn better be fast), but any S2000 w/ $500 suspension mods will beat most American competitors w/ $1000 suspension mods. You must also remember that the Mustang nor the Camro are sports cars in my opinion. muscle cars? yeah, pony cars? sure, GT cars? yep, fast cars? maybe, BUT NOT SPORTS CARS. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

LOL! Yeah, I posted a message clearly so that EVERYONE could see, and I "thought" you wouldn't be able to see it. Ok, now that makes sense!

#1: Please, don't flatter yourself!

#2: As far as me "taking your insults", refer back to #1

#3: When it comes to accelleration torque is the MOST important stastic of all. In EVERY case, high torque also mean high horse power. If you have 350 lbs of torque which peeks at 3000 RPMs (extremely low for ANY engine), you still have about 250 horse power. That shoots down your 65,000 lbs of torque, 190 hp theory. You did admit that no American engine has those stats, but also those stats are physically impossible.

#4: The S2000 engine has a very weak output. The fact that it will only propel a 2700 lbs car into the mid 14s is an indication of that.

<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<b>BR>America can produce a huge engine, but not efficiently. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

care to answer why Camaro's Corvette, and Mustangs, all with V8's mind you... get equal or better gas milage than the S2000, NSX, 3000 GT, RX7, WRX, Prelude SH, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, and have a hell of a lot more power. They are only

The Viper gets gas milage on par with the 911 GT2 (with nearly the same HP), and a HELL of a lot better milage than the 360 Modena while having more HP.

You need to do a little research before you make such ignorant statements.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

i wasnt talking about fuel efficiency. Even though the Viper's 11 mpg kinda sucks in my opinion. But, i realized this is all stupid, because none of the cars we are comparing are in the same category at all. The S2000 is a bang-for-buck sports car. The Viper is an expensive toy. Camaros and Mustangs are pony cars, or, useful GT cars. They compromise speed and handling for comfort and economy. The S2000 has no compromises, as you can tell from the very limited factory options. The only things you can add are a few body touches, and the colors of things. It comes with a 6-speed transmission, only one engine is available, one suspension option, if you don't like it, then dont get it. And, if you don't like it, then just don't talk about it.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<b>i wasnt talking about fuel efficiency. Even though the Viper's 11 mpg kinda sucks in my opinion. But, i realized this is all stupid, because none of the cars we are comparing are in the same category at all. The S2000 is a bang-for-buck sports car. The Viper is an expensive toy. Camaros and Mustangs are pony cars, or, useful GT cars. They compromise speed and handling for comfort and economy. The S2000 has no compromises, as you can tell from the very limited factory options. The only things you can add are a few body touches, and the colors of things. It comes with a 6-speed transmission, only one engine is available, one suspension option, if you don't like it, then dont get it. And, if you don't like it, then just don't talk about it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're saying the S2000 is more of a bang-for-buck car than American pony cars?? What are you high? They compromise speed and handling?

Yes it handles well, but a for $10,000 less you can get a FASTER Camaro Z28. For a couple thousand dollars less you can get a FASTER Mustang Cobra that also handles very well.

And just to show you more about your "bang-for-buck" take a look at this....

from edmonds.com
    In terms of price, the S2000 slots between the Miata and cars like the Z3 and Boxster. It looks to be (and is) an extraordinary performance buy. But at the time of this writing, the popularity of S2000s and the limited production of 5000 units has allowed dealers to charge thousands of dollars over sticker. Take this into consideration before you run down to your local Honda dealer waving a freshly minted $32,000 check.

Even IF you pay sticker for the S2000 you can still easily get more bang for the buck buying American pony cars.
    <!-- Signature -->

19. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

I did pay sticker for my S2000. And i am saying its more bang for buch, mustangs and Camaros feel slow and don't handle nearly as well. I know because i had a modified camaro Z-28, and have driven a few Mustangs. But, you can fit a golf bag or two in a pony car. The S2000 doesn't have the room, its like, if you want a ferrari's performance and feel, at a smaller scale and price.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

I just realized, a Stock RX-7 can match a covettes 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. Though RX-7s use rotary engines, there only 1.3 liters. So, 800hp RX-7s get about 615hp per liter, and still get crazy torque. If that doesn't work, there are 1200 and 1300hp Toyota Supras in Japan, i dont think many cars would want to try against those. The Veilside Supra even beat a Mclaren F1...that's insane. They were almost street legal, except they needed slicks to keep traction. The Veilside Supra can break 200mph in 26 seconds, can any domestic beat that? (Non-drag cars only.)<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

Uh, is there a link to this Veilside Supra doing 200 mph in 26 seconds? Or a link to the Supra beating the McLaren F1? Closest thing I've heard (actually, read) domestically is the 800TT fishtailing, shortshifting in the wet to 193 mph in 28.23 seconds.

22. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

i have some video of the (supposed) veilside supra LOSING to the mclaren in the quarter. just thought id throw that out there. im not a big fan of the supra.<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<b>I just realized, a Stock RX-7 can match a covettes 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. Though RX-7s use rotary engines, there only 1.3 liters. So, 800hp RX-7s get about 615hp per liter, and still get crazy torque. If that doesn't work, there are 1200 and 1300hp Toyota Supras in Japan, i dont think many cars would want to try against those. The Veilside Supra even beat a Mclaren F1...that's insane. They were almost street legal, except they needed slicks to keep traction. The Veilside Supra can break 200mph in 26 seconds, can any domestic beat that? (Non-drag cars only.)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Supra, even with Veilside tuning, is an ugly piece. There is no way that it ever beat a McLaren F1. Don't insult Gordan Murray like that; he's way smarter and better funded than anyone at Veilside.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

#3: When it comes to accelleration torque is the MOST important stastic of all. In EVERY case, high torque also mean high horse power. If you have 350 lbs of torque which peeks at 3000 RPMs (extremely low for ANY engine), you still have about 250 horse power. That shoots down your 65,000 lbs of torque, 190 hp theory. You did admit that no American engine has those stats, but also those stats are physically impossible.

Sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Seansvetter, BUT, your statement about torque being a so big factor in acceleration is somewhat not true. A 4 liter V6 with 240 hp@4150 rpm and 306 lb/ft@3750rpm will fair just as well as the S2k engine if the S2k gearing was reduced in half. They will produce exactly the same torque at the wheels. That is why high revving engines are so great, you change the gearing the get globs of torque using the horsepower (thanks to its revability).

HP= Torque*RPM/5252

25. Re: ignore the thing at the bottom, but It's Another Jap Monstro

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from kuckimonster</i>
    <b>#3: When it comes to accelleration torque is the MOST important stastic of all. In EVERY case, high torque also mean high horse power. If you have 350 lbs of torque which peeks at 3000 RPMs (extremely low for ANY engine), you still have about 250 horse power. That shoots down your 65,000 lbs of torque, 190 hp theory. You did admit that no American engine has those stats, but also those stats are physically impossible.

Sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Seansvetter, BUT, your statement about torque being a so big factor in acceleration is somewhat not true. A 4 liter V6 with 240 hp@4150 rpm and 306 lb/ft@3750rpm will fair just as well as the S2k engine if the S2k gearing was reduced in half. They will produce exactly the same torque at the wheels. That is why high revving engines are so great, you change the gearing the get globs of torque using the horsepower (thanks to its revability).

HP= Torque*RPM/5252

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah, give it really short gears, that'll lower its quarter mile time. You'll be in sixth by eighty and you'll be capped at 85. Your theory works great if two things were true: (1)that it takes no time to make a shift and (2) that you don't need top speed to go fast.

It would be great to have a 32-speed sequential on an S2000; you'd be really fast. The problem is that it's just not practical.

On the other hand, a Toroidal transmission with a very low gearing and a wide range (perhaps you'd need two in series) would be perfect. Infinite gear ratios controlled by computer to give you the maximum amount of torque that the tires can handle! That, however, won't be in cars for some time.<!-- Signature -->