Inevitable decline of suburbs and car culture?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by F50Fanatic, Nov 20, 2015.

1. #1 F50Fanatic, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    It appears to be this way in my country. I found this article online, a lot of you might have already seen it. It's an interesting read and gives us perspective of how the society is changing.

Cruising toward oblivion: America's once magical - now mundane - love affair with cars:

www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/09/02/americas-fading-car-culture/

2. I'm not going to read all of that right now, but it certainly feels alive and well to me where I am (and where I live, too).

3. That's because you live in an urban area with more car stuff (hot rods especially) than just about any other place except L.A. The Goodguys Scottsdale events are huge.

It feels alive at my place (NorCal) too. Lots of weekly gatherings. Events like Goodguys and Sacramento Autorama are bigger than ever. But look more closely, it seems it won't last long. Majority of people attending these events are older people, especially the ones with vehicles to show. Among people born after the 80's here, there is far smaller percentage who are interested in this kind of stuff compared with older generations.

Things are going to be quite different by the time I reach retirement age.

4. Even the boy racer scene back home has virtually disappeared compared to what it was ~10 years ago. I wonder how much house prices soaring has made people rethink their priorities. Would surely be responsible for some people deprioritising cars.

5. Home prices are going up all over the place here in the US. But some are more extreme than others, especially cities with lots of foreign buyers buying up homes like crazy, driving up real estate prices to ridiculous levels.

6. I read it all. I like some points the author made, especially regarding the 2008 crisis. Things changed after the recession and exposed cars for what they really are: status mobiles. Growing up most of us on this site knew that the cars we liked were costly but that didn't dissuade us from seeing cars as more than just vehicles but something of an art in engineering where each car had a "soul." I don't think most people really see them in that manner.

7. i can definitely see house prices having a big impact on spending money on desirable cars. driving laws and road infrastructure also wouldn't help - speed cameras, busy traffic conditions etc. it doesn't seem as attractive to young people as what it once was.

in the future it prob will just be robot pods moving people from location to location. i don't really buy smartphones as being something that strongly contributes to this, access to money and government regulation shape what people do more than anything else.

a lot of american cities in particular have very poor public transport infrastructure, somehow i don't see the trend reversing that public money would be spent on increasing the infrastructure.

interesting times ahead in terms of how people will move around. its all well and good to live in a city that has great public transport, which allows people to not lean on owning a car so much. cities where people want to live are going to have expensive housing (more than likely fuelled by foreign investment if were talking usa, uk, canada, australia, nz) and if people can't afford to buy or rent they will move where they can which 9/10 won't have the same amenities has the desirable city, further dividing the haves and the have nots.

muslim overran europe will be suited best to deal with this issue with densely populated cities supported by public transport and continental-wide train networks. suburban america, australia, canada etc...not so much.

8. #8 add lightness, Nov 21, 2015
  9. #9 add lightness, Nov 21, 2015
  10. here they just posted a shitload of new mobile radars so you can't speed anywhere,

11. I think it's also become more expensive to own a car, or have less cash around for a car. A car is a financial 'black-hole', you have to pay down quite a bit of money to buy one (2nd most expensive purchase), then you got depreciation which is big, insurance, taxes, maintenance. And that's the good/standard scenario. Imagine if something expensive breaks down which is not covered? More money to pour in. And then plenty of red-tape (tickets, increased taxes maybe etc) and so on and so forth.
    For me now, I've saved some money and want to buy a nice small sportscar (GT86 or MX5), I'm still not feeling sure about doing this, although I always loved the idea of owning a fun-to-drive car. I will do it probably sooner or later but I believe 5-10 years back if I was in the same position, I wouldn't have given it any second thought really.

12. Mass transit is never going to be palatable to the majority of Americans until you can do something about the out of control hoodrats that infest it in most major US cities.

13. I've driven a car like twice since early 2013

14. its slightly dying around here. but there are younger folk who are into it they just can't afford cars that would fit the stereotype.

15. I still see modified 6th gen civics and gsrs around here

16. youngest guy I've seen at car shows around here has an 80s rabbit GTI. another younger guy has a very early 70s barracuda but between the 3 of us we bring down the age of the rest of the folk that own cars by about 25 years

EDIT: and 2 guys with Chevy Aveos with a bunch of stuff done to them. not sure why as I've never asked

17. Where I live the modified car scene declined with the economy.

In the late 90s / early 2000s nearly every one of these cars was built by someone working at places like Circuit City or Best Buy but as these places closed I started seeing less and less modified cars.

Honestly I can go two or three days without seeing so much as aftermarket rims or a lowering kit. And wild bodywork is pretty much non existent. A week or more without hearing an aftermarket exhaust.

18. Thats actually a very good point. There is always going to be some way to differentiate one class from the other. Civilization is becoming more centralized however and perhaps those who don't have the means to live in mass centers won't be a factor.

19. yeah that's a sign. Can't remember last time I went to show, think it was with V8.

I think the crowd has shrinked and went from F&F esthetics (wheels, spoiler, etc.) to sleeper-oriented mods (engine, suspension, etc)

20. I'm more worried about the decline of horse culture

21. Probably because someone realized that ruining a car's ride to make it slower isn't a good idea.

The same person might also have realized that attaching random pieces of plastic to one's Civic and removing the exhaust muffler are inversely proportional to one's chances to copulate except with the trashiest 1% of women.

22. The modified import scene here in NorCal got really popular around year 2000, and reached peak in 2006 / 07 with popularity of movie F&F Tokyo Drift among Asian crowds, but started to decline after that. Several magazines have since then disappeared, including HCI and Sport Compact Car.

Later on, I think started in 2009, the old Custom Culture with classic American cars was starting to make a comeback after a decade of decline, with more magazines, more car shows, bigger car shows, and more of them appearing on the streets. Nowdays if you are a fan of muscle car / hot rods, there are so much more to see here in NorCal compared with 10 years ago.

23. man i think the classics are going to remain niche and awesome until 3d printing or something replicates them

24. i've heard more than one that the new generation also has no interest in driving. driving was an important part of coming-of-age because it gave you the freedom to get out and only be with your peers. kids today feel like all the way they can talk between the internet and phone apps is more than enough so they aren't interested in learning how to drive

also cars are expensive and new generations are earning less instead of more like they should

25. pretty much. I've also found that younger people who own older cars get really moany about how much things cost to fix them. a friend of mine deals with older british stuff still and he has a couple folk my age who have them but they refuse to spend any money on anything. also they assume that if they buy a car for 300 dollars it'll only take about 1k to get it back on the road.

that or the folk who do want said cars just wait for their relatives who own such cars to die off before they get them.