inline-4? V12!!!

Discussion in '2000 Lotus Elise 111S' started by Bukem, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Neogoatboy,

I agree that it is fine in standard spec, but if I had my time again, I'd go with a VVC powered 111s as a minimum. I don't think its more of a handful, to be honest - I think that the greater torque range is better for speeds above 80mph - especially on track. The CR 'box would not be fun on motorways though...

I know of a couple of sport 190s on the road (one in the US actually) and they are quite fun. The VPHD can be a biit lumpy at idle, and its no fun in traffic - but you're right - its a track tool that demands high revs.

2. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

puttin a V12 in here is like puttin NOS in a go kart<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

most definately not ! how much do you think the bits in the v12 weigh !!! ??? !!! i take it that you dont know Donald Chapmans philosiphy about every single part in th elise weihghng less than 12 kilograms. the elise just seems to me that it is so unique that it muust follow its traditions, because if it didnt, it just wouldnt be an elise. so i say that there is no room for a v12(not even a physical possibility ) nor a turbocharger.

4. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Who's Donald Chapman? *S* Colin's brother? *giggle*

5. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

ya know, if you look at the dementions of this car (im probably the only one who ever does) youll realize that this car isnt big enought for a V12, well, only if it was only like 2 liters. but then you loose the lightness and the fuel economy. its awsome the way it is. i want one sooooooo bad, i love this thing like i love my balls.

6. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Has anyone seen any specs or prices of the new Elise sport Mk2 190? <!-- Signature -->

7. This car needs more power and 124.3 mph is not enough for this car!!

8. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Read some of the posts in other forums and you will see why it does not need a v-12 or a crazy high speed.

9. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from need4speedF50</i>
    <b>This car needs more power and 124.3 mph is not enough for this car!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Of course it is retard. For the price and build quality the Elise is certainly a supercar, It doesn't need a high end top speed because of its speed off the mark, and its superb handling and braking. Not only that it looks much prettier in real life, those images do it no justice.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

True.
    Look at the Top Gear evaluation of this car. It is beutiffffful. Also, they praised its surprisingly gentle ride yet great handling traits. Their only complaint was the dumb rag top setup, which apparently is hard to use. I love the idea behind this car, the no frills fun machine. I am dissapointed that they are putting air conditioning in it, kinda dilutes the idea.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

i wouldnt mind if lotus put a turbo on here (that makes a lot more sense than a v12) but this is one of the few cars that doesnt need extreme ammounts of bhp to have fun while driving

12. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Whoa!!! Idiots!!!

Listen Up.

First lemme say, this is a great car.

Next, with a car this light, having any more horses will make the wheels spin like crazy. Cars like this are meant for people like me, who drive on short, brake and go, winding, sharp turning, neck muscle fatiguing, wheels flying off the ground, Backroads. Do you go 125MPH on backroads? Hell no (unless you have a death wish). You go 80MPH , maybe 90, TOPS!!! You want 125MPH, drive on the autobahn. You want great handling, braking, and fun-to-drive performance, this is the car for you. You want a dragster? Go buy an old Chevelle.

Another thing, lighter cars, with small engines (4 cylinders) get great gas mileage, so this can be your daily driver car to work, yet still be your "take a hairpin turn or two" kind of car. Besides, this is a mid-engine (engine on top of the rear axle, not behind it). It's perfect for hairpin turns.

And seriously, has anyone here ever taken their car to its top speed on american roads? NO (way too many cops and traffic jams).

13. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from fieroturbo</i>
    <b>Whoa!!! Idiots!!!

Listen Up.

First lemme say, this is a great car.

Next, with a car this light, having any more horses will make the wheels spin like crazy. Cars like this are meant for people like me, who drive on short, brake and go, winding, sharp turning, neck muscle fatiguing, wheels flying off the ground, Backroads. Do you go 125MPH on backroads? Hell no (unless you have a death wish). You go 80MPH , maybe 90, TOPS!!! You want 125MPH, drive on the autobahn. You want great handling, braking, and fun-to-drive performance, this is the car for you. You want a dragster? Go buy an old Chevelle.

Another thing, lighter cars, with small engines (4 cylinders) get great gas mileage, so this can be your daily driver car to work, yet still be your "take a hairpin turn or two" kind of car. Besides, this is a mid-engine (engine on top of the rear axle, not behind it). It's perfect for hairpin turns.

And seriously, has anyone here ever taken their car to its top speed on american roads? NO (way too many cops and traffic jams).

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The factory will produce a turbo version for an owner for an extra few thousand pounds sterling. This doesn't degrade the performance aspect of the car.

<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Mack,

You reckon that: "The factory will produce a turbo version for an owner for an extra few thousand pounds sterling. This doesn't degrade the performance aspect of the car."

No they won't - the factory don't sanction any turbo variant of the Elise. The only factory approved modification (and note it's being sold as a modification - not a separate model) is the new S2 135. No doubt they'll do some tasty sport 160 and sport 190 variants (as with the orignal Elise) but no turbos.

But... you can get turbos bolted on - Turbo Technics do an upgrade that's fairly well regarded for the S1 Elise, they're even working on or have produced the kit for the S2.

I still think that the car is great in original trim - yup with 120bhp. You want to improve on it, there's only one thing to do: get some driver training, because I promise you that the car's abilities will outpace yours - no matter how good a driver you think you are *S* I know this from experience!

15. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bukem</i>
    <b>Mack,

You reckon that: "The factory will produce a turbo version for an owner for an extra few thousand pounds sterling. This doesn't degrade the performance aspect of the car."

No they won't - the factory don't sanction any turbo variant of the Elise. The only factory approved modification (and note it's being sold as a modification - not a separate model) is the new S2 135. No doubt they'll do some tasty sport 160 and sport 190 variants (as with the orignal Elise) but no turbos.

But... you can get turbos bolted on - Turbo Technics do an upgrade that's fairly well regarded for the S1 Elise, they're even working on or have produced the kit for the S2.

I still think that the car is great in original trim - yup with 120bhp. You want to improve on it, there's only one thing to do: get some driver training, because I promise you that the car's abilities will outpace yours - no matter how good a driver you think you are *S* I know this from experience!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I stand corrected.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Mack,

interesting factory development today - on a UK Elise owners forum that I subscribe to someone posted some stuff about a Lotus MotorSport factory modification for the Elise S2 - the fitting of the VHPD 190bhp unit from the Exige / 340R. Its not cheap (about £6000 + local VAT - 17.5%) but it looks like a nice option for the time being. Its only SVA for the UK (i.e. you can't even get it on mainland Europe), but its the only way to get 'decent' power in the S2 currently.

Aparently the S2 190VPHD mule has been putting in serious track time at Hethel recently - people I know who have visited the factory in the last few weeks have been steered politely away from the car and the track (which is unusual at Lotus, believe me)

Still no announcement on the engine for the US Type Approved Elise - except that it will be a four pot with around 190bhp...

17. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from need4speedF50</i>
    <b>This car needs more power and 124.3 mph is not enough for this car!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Just tell where you'll find the place to put a V12 in the Elise...

Lotus intends on building race track typed cars , no way to have a V12 to be quick on a race track.

18. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

This car really dosen't need more power. The car is great in standard spec. With the VVC Engine in the Mk1 it was a handfull. The 190 version was to powerfull for road use. Before anyone makes any stupid remarks look at the power to weight ratio. I understand that for some this car is out of their spear of understanding. If you want a car that is great at straight line racing like in the fast and the furious this car is not for you. If you are looking at getting into track days this is a great car to humble people in Porsche, BMW and the like.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

Will the 190 be a road going version?.....I mean it won't just be an Else for track days like the last 190bhp.

Specs.....well the Elise Sport 130bhp has a 0-60mph time of 5.3secs so I'm guessing sub 5 secs....prices......I reckon £29000.....don't quote me on that though<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: inline-4? V12!!!

I've put my deposit down for one of these at Thousand Oaks Lotus (1k)
    I'll get the third one the dealer gets when it shows up in the States.

I got fed up of waiting for TVR to get over here.

I'll take it regardless of the engine... I can't wait.<!-- Signature -->