Inline 4?

Discussion in '2002 MG EX257' started by SuperGuyMan, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Inline 4?

As for the 1300 hp that BMW got out of a 1.5 liter turbo engine, you have to consider the fuel that was being run at the time, at lemans the teams are restricted to 95 octane gas, which is very low, considering that sunoco sells 94 octane gas from the pumps, and most other racing organizations allow fuel that is at least 100 octane.

2. Re: Inline 4?

Hmmm..that is true.
    LeMans is tough on cars in all aspects =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

3. It says that it has an inline 4 does anyone know if that is true or not? And does anyone have any performance numbers on this machine.

4. Re: Inline 4?

It's a turbocharged I4.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Inline 4?

The LMP675 class have a displacement limit of 2 liters and turbocharged I believe. But most of these cars are putting down around 500 horses which combinded with the 675kg weight limit would be a great power to weight ratio

6. Re: Inline 4?

very right.

7. Re: Inline 4?

Fast and Econo-Wise!!<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Inline 4?

If you have a power limit (like GT racing does) does it not make sense to use a lighter engine than a bigger one to achieve the same power? 2.0 liter I4 turbos have been made to produce well over 1000hp so power is no problem (thank you Turbo power!) Even if the car is under the weight limit, they can and will use ballasts that can be placed where ever it is best for weight distribution and handling (put the weight where its needed).<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Inline 4?

Yes good for turbo power making a inline four produce 1000hp but do u realize what it is doing to the engine???<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Inline 4?

For 675 class, the force induction motor have a displacement limit of 2 liter, normally aspirated engine has a limit of 3.8 liter. This engine is capable I think of 550bhp, I don't know what is the restrictor rule on the 675 class though....<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Inline 4?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Vipersrule</i>
    <b>Yes good for turbo power making a inline four produce 1000hp but do u realize what it is doing to the engine???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Good point, but considering that this is a custom job and there are factory 2L blocks that can handle power like that, its no prob. They can always just do a rebuild on it if they need to or replace it I think.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Inline 4?

I never knew these type of race cars had Inline-4s.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Inline 4?

Hmmmm..all very true =)
    Thing is about the 1000hp is that it's rarely achieved with only 2 turbos..and if it is..Turbo Lag would kill!!
    Not to mention the intercoolers would be the entire size of the engine compartment and you better have some good ducting to get air in there too!
    also..the 1000hp 2.0L cars also run on NO2. So it can't sustain the 1000hp.
    I know the Blitz R34 GTR car do the 1000hp runs on turbos only though..but it's a 2.6L I6 with 2 turbos I believe.

Anyways..this little car kicks ass! Might be small..but then it handles way better than the large 900 class cars.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Inline 4?

Sorry, I meant that there were factory blocks that could handle 500 hp+, not 1000. I dont know anything about that.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Inline 4?

the cars in this class are limited to a I-4(turbo) or a V-6(na) engine for power.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Inline 4?

Hmmm.
    Yeah Sparetire..good point.
    500hp I think..but 1000hp on stock blocks would usually kill the engine, but then it's what ya considered stock.
    These engines are damned modded as soon as the car gets it =P

Also, the other guys is right.
    Class is limited to 2xTurbo I4..or a NA 6 cyl.
    Thing is I'm not sure how big the V6 can be.
    i mean there are some huge V/I6 out there like the Vortech 4200 series from GM =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Inline 4?

80's f1 cars had 1.5litre inline four turbos. Supposedly, a BMW got up to 1300 then broke the dyno<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Inline 4?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacingManiac</i>
    <b>For 675 class, the force induction motor have a displacement limit of 2 liter, normally aspirated engine has a limit of 3.8 liter. This engine is capable I think of 550bhp, I don't know what is the restrictor rule on the 675 class though....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

43mm.
    2.5 bars of max pression in the turbo.

19. Re: Inline 4?

Thats is some serious boost. Guess it would have to be. But hell, with the RPMs these run at, they have that turbo spooled all the time.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Inline 4?

I don't think they are limited to V6 though....last year's Dick Barbour ALMS 675 class winning car was powered by a 3.4 liter Judd V8....which is the same design as their GV4 V10 engine with 2 less cylinders...<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Inline 4?

I guess any N/A engine less than 4.0L goes then right? =P
    HONDA 2.5L V8 or V10 from the car series!! =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Inline 4?

looks mean<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Inline 4?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacingManiac</i>
    <b>I don't think they are limited to V6 though....last year's Dick Barbour ALMS 675 class winning car was powered by a 3.4 liter Judd V8....which is the same design as their GV4 V10 engine with 2 less cylinders...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

This year the rules for LM 675 are :

atmo : 8 cylinders max of 3400cc max , with a restrictor of 44mm.
    turbo: 6 cylinders max of 2000cc max , with a restrictor of 43mm and 2.5bars of pression in the turbo.