Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Discussion in '1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo' started by lurbo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Reading Spyders posts just shows that he/she is only reading the information on this site, and has no experience in the other cars, nor looked up any information about the other cars. I looked a lot into the 3000GT, Supra, RX-7 and 300ZX because I was looking to buy one. On the internet you can find a lot of conflicting information. But after finding about 10 different sites with the information on you are able to work out which information is wrong. And I can tell you the information on the 300ZX on this site is one of the worse.
    My finding where as follows.

The RX-7 is the fastest 0-60, but will then not pull as well as the Supra and 300ZX above that. Its the lightest but the least powerful. Its light weight, some say, is its let down. Its not able to accelerate round corners than the others becuase the rear end comes out. Due to its unique engine, most mechanics will stuggle to do internal engine work. Looks good and is large that is seems.

The 3000GT is about 300bhp, but the 4WD system means you will lose about 27-30% of power in the diffs. Fast car, but is NOT faster than the ZX 0-60 or 1/4 mile. People also say that thier is no feel to the car because of all of the electrics. However the 4WD means it grips the best round corners and is easy to pull of quickly. Looks quite good. But it looks like the person who was desiging it got bored when working on the rear. Stock Boost is 12psi

Toyota Supra is a very fast car, but most people have jumped on the band waggon after the film, The Fast and The Furious, but I would like to say that the real person who the character of Dom was based on, drives a ZX. I hear that the car drives very well and has very good handling. The engine is solid and smooth. Inline 6 engine is perfectly ballanced. Looks quite good, but is not the most streamlined shape in the world, and the front lights look ugly. Rear wing is over the top for me.

Nissan 300ZX. Voted best in the top 10 best cars in the world for 6 years and best looking car of the 80's. Confused? Well the car was released in 1989. The first 12 where in 1988. The 1989 release is 4 years before the Supra and the RX-7 and 2 years before the 3000GT. The engine is smooth and has the unique V engine sound. The handling is very good, with its unique suspention and SUPRER HICAS 4 wheel steering, the same used on the Skyline. The engine lasts forever if you look after it, my one has done 150,000 miles and still pulls like a train. Its got generous leg room for the front passengers, and the boot/trunk is large enough to put in a large suitcase and a few smaller bags, or fit you golf clubs in. It looks like a Super Car should look. Low and sleek.

Its all down to personal taste. The 300ZX is the oldest of the lot but it is not the slowest. If you are talking 0.1 or 0.2 seconds faster, that is made or lost in a gear change. Bring the 300ZX up to spec of the Supra and GTO/3000GT with 12psi and 555cc injectors and its will be over 350bhp.

NinjaAssault person. My 300ZXTT has rear seats. I have fit two 6'4" people in the back of mine. Not much room after but they got in.

I also agree with RavenZX, that the Nissan technology is second to none. Imagine the shock when an 80's had 4WS, it was also one of the first cars to have Variable Valve Timing, you know, the great technilogical brake through that most moden cars boast about. The Skyline had to race in its own class of race in Japan, because all the other manufatures refuesed to race againt it. It wasnt the most powerful car on there but its 4WS and advanced 4WD system made it leagues ahead. The ABS on the Z. All ABS before then, besides being not the best, used to get a huge vibration through the brake peddle. All the car reviewers loved it that it didnt. The 4WS turns the opposite way at slow speeds and the same way at high speeds. Speed related powersteering was also a new thing then. There are loads of technilogical world firsts on the car that we will NEVER know about. Things that make the car special.

Enough from me.

Bye
    Stuart.
    Keep Zd'ing

2. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

the few people i know dont like the supra. they say its really uncomfortable to drive. its really up to the person buying the car though.

3. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

I consider them equally matched, the ZX is cheaper so...<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

I live in Toronto Canada and I have seen liek 30 of theses in my lifetime but only 2 supras and one of the was TT. I would go 4 the supra cuz it is alot more rarer

5. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

becuase of the supras 6th gear it would eat the z but not by much

6. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

i would buy the Z in fact i did. and i bought the Z over the supra because the supra handles like an elephant on wheels. the 300zx's all wheel steering even though every limited helps a lot at high speeds. i agree about what the other reader said about the interior, none of those cars compare to the comfort and ergonomics of the Z is just amazing. Buy the Z if your trying to choose its cheaper and its worth every penny.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

I'd say that both ish the same but then the supra just costs more and also th upgrade and the seating is uncomfortable becuz my bro got's one but it depends on if u want it or not.

8. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Go the 300 route. Very very comfortable on long journeys and very well put together. I think it looks more sleek than the Supra. And its true, the Supra doesn't handle as well.
    If you do go for a Z, then a boost upgrade is a must.
    <!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Definitly have to go the way of the fairlady Z. it is a very promising car not to metion the style and looks, it has a Gt or european super car look, unlike the 3000gt or Supra which look like beefier Eclipses and Celicas. the nissan frame, parts and style are rare and seperate their own. plus u got t-tops. convertable or the sunroof. My lady Z is my dream , love to sit in it everyday just to feel all 300 ponies at work, even has gos low end torque for those passes on the highway cruisn in 4th or 5th, yes it doesnt have a 6th gear nor as much power as the supra, the only reason i would recomend a supa is becuase its 2JZ-80TT power plant and tranny can handle 600 to 700 horse with no problem stock. but u can still get zx's up to those numbers too, i lov my cvar, for looks, Smoke shows and the fact i know i can eat up V-8s anyday.so my advice is go wit the ZX cuz of price, handling, ride quality, looks, and best of all top 5 finishing power.

10. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

WTF!!! The supra is 100 times better. They look so much better, they have a back seat, they weigh much less and are a lot faster.

"besides the supra the 300zx is by far faster then the mazda and 3000gt." - CreamOfTheCrop7

Sorry chief, but the rx7 is much faster with a 0-60 of 4.8 or 4.9 and a quarter mile of below 14 as opposed to 0-60 6.5 and 1/4: 16.5. and check out the 3000gt vr4, its quicker than the Z too.

continuing.... supra was rated the most reliable sports car ever by consumer reports, they are easy to mod out and build to a supercar. The handling is some of the best in the world. The depreciation rate is very low. need i go on?

11. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

If u really want to get into detail about the Japenese Super car, Performance war, the best car overall , indeed is the Supra, one , cuz as stated before, the 2JZ-80tt powerplant and tranny can take 600 horse without a sweat and the car would still perform better wit most stock component, looks wise i dont know, the Mazda RX-7, The Mitshubishi 3000GT VR4, Supra TT and ZX TT are all beatiful cars. the RX-7 weighs the least, followed by the supra then the ZX, then the VR4 cuz of all wheel drive,(the shittest system ever). but we all have neglected the Acura Nsx T. a beatiful car, but a piece to me.
    but if we were to judge the ultimate car it would be between the Mazda and the supra. Vr4's are garbage woow off the line they'll whoop any car here but after 50 60, they dogg like granny old junk. the 240 horse non turbos are faster highway wise to me, i saw one eat up a newr z28 wit the Lt1. the Nissan 300zx will alwas be my Fav becuase of looks, style. power and cuz of performance, plus i feel they are rarer then supras, cuz before the fast and the furios came out, or the import mags became big, Suras were never looked at performance wise. it was deemed the beefy older celica brother. Honda's new S2000's FUCKING HUMILATING.
    its a big nasty two seater wit a honda vtec bike motor, what crap , no low end torque or power, a real true perfomance car would be the 2002 BMW M3,,, 333 whp, rivals and eclipses the 911 turbo and 405 hp Z06, so u tell me this car cant whoop?
    imports are fine pieces of machines but when it come dow to which is the best of the Jap performance cars, leave it to Nissan there technology was far advanced at the time, of the race, and the Zx is a mid class mans sports car, but if u remeber the MAzda , 3000GT, Supra And 300zx all went down becuase of thier prices and cuz no one anted all that power!!!!!!!

12. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Depends what you like. The Z looks outdated to me, and with no back seat its not as practical (yes I can fit college kids in the back seat of my supra). And the Z handling better than a supra? Where do you guys come up with that? The supra has even outhandled the RX7 in some comparisons scanned below (ya theres no Z, but the RX7 is usually considered the best handling due to low weight). I dont understand where that comes from. And Zs are alot more common. I can go a week without seing a supra on the freeway or anything, and I see Zs everyday and usually C5s even. As to drive comfort, well my supra is more comfortable than my accord EX. And the supra engine is more durable under heavy modding. <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Hey CreamOfTheCrap7, you just like to make up information and pull shit out of your ass don't you?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CreamOfTheCrop7</i>
    <b>unlike the supra and 3000gt. the 300zx is smaller and offers a feel the others cant live up to. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ummm the 300ZX is HEAVIER than the Supra, so how can it be small you dumb #$%#?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CreamOfTheCrop7</i>
    <b>they are all fast cars, but besides the supra the 300zx is by far faster then the mazda and 3000gt. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

In terms of what?

The Supra TT BEATS the 300ZXTT in the 1/4 mile
    The 3000GT VR-4 BEATS the 300ZXTT in the 1/4 mile and it has a higher top speed.

Spyder757

14. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RavenZX</i>
    <b>i would recomend a supa is becuase its 2JZ-80TT power plant and tranny can handle 600 to 700 horse with no problem stock. .</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

AHAHAHAahHAHHAHAHA a stock Supra transmission handling 700hp?

You've watched the Ric3 And The Rediclous one to many times you #$%#ing idiot.

Did you know that the majority of the drag Supras you use in the IHRA use the GM 2 Speed Powerglide which is an AUTOMATIC transmission?

Come on you dumbass ric3boy, if you don't know something, do go and make it up.

Spyder757

15. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Gotta agree with cream of the crop!
    compare the 3000gt, 300zx, and the supra and you'll find that he's right!
    its lower, not as wide, not as long, and has a shorter wheelbase.
    Length: 4564 mm / 179.7 in 4305 mm / 169.5 in 4514 mm / 177.7 in
    Wheelbase: 2469 mm / 97.2 in 2451 mm / 96.5 in 2550 mm / 100.4 in
    Width: 1839 mm / 72.4 in 1791 mm / 70.5 in 1811 mm / 71.3 in
    Height: 1252 mm / 49.3 in 1250 mm / 49.2 in 1275 mm / 50.2 in
    (first numbers 3000gt, then 300zx, then supra)

16. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

Well said Stuart. Having owned a 300ZX TT, your comments are spot on.
    -- Its down to personal choice at the end of the day --<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

why would you want the egr valve (unless you're in a emissions testing area) stupid government crap... the supra has an I6?? i never knew that. kind of funny people are saying the engine handles 600 to 700 hp easily and nissan's I6 can handle 1000 hp EASILY... toytoa is really slow too. go drive one of their suvs then drive a nissan suv... you'll choose which you want then. (i say suv's because they don't have any new sports cars out right now)

18. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mtcookson</i>
    <b>why would you want the egr valve (unless you're in a emissions testing area) stupid government crap... the supra has an I6?? i never knew that. kind of funny people are saying the engine handles 600 to 700 hp easily and nissan's I6 can handle 1000 hp EASILY... toytoa is really slow too. go drive one of their suvs then drive a nissan suv... you'll choose which you want then. (i say suv's because they don't have any new sports cars out right now)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Exactly what "nissan" I-6 would that be? Certainly not the one in the ZX because its a V6...<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

The Manual Gear box of a Nissan ZX is good for around 600bhp. The engine internals are good for 1000bhp. The Jun ZX that broke and still holds the front engine rear wheel drive land speed record still used the Nissan stock Crank Shaft.
    Imagine the strain on that doosy.

Also I would like to say about the 0-60 times. The officials ones would have been made by a pro driver with slick tyres on, on a private strip which would be perfect, with no washer water in the car, on a perfect day and hardly any fuel and attempted about 100 times to get the best one for the OFFICIAL STATS.
    Little different with us with heavy fuel load, washer water loaded, road tyres on a normal road, with warm dry air and usually 2 people in the car. No unmodded show room car I know you can jump into it and get the official times.

20. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

get a Dodge stealth TT, if possible, you'll like the 4wd that actually works<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Is it better to take the 300ZX or the SUPRA

it has better grip for cornering.<!-- Signature -->