Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Discussion in '2002 Pontiac Grand Prix G-Force Concept' started by NismoMasta, Aug 10, 2002.

1. My god, someone tell me is that cast iron 3.8 the buick 3.8 v6? thats a 15 year old engine. 280lbft is pityful from a supercharged 3.8, any DOHC naturally aspirated engine of same size can make more than that.

0.85 skidpan is nothing special, most hot hatches would be beating this car in the twisties

i wouldn't pay a whole dollar for this car<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Auto World listed the 3800 Series II V6 found in Grand Prix's as one of the top ten engines of the past 100 years.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

people calling this car crap dont know what they are comparing it to. sure it doesnt compete with supercars. its marketed twords people that want an everyday driver that has some balls. 280hp and 280 ftlbs is good. if this car comes out it will compete with BMWs that cost 10 to 20 thousand more. i agree with the people that want a RWD or an AWD would be even cooler.

4. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

I wouldn't even say it counts as a performance car, notice the four doors, it looks more like a family sedan with a little bit more power and handeling than normal. This car is nothing special, just another car that looks like everything else out there.

5. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MR2Man</i>
    <b>I wouldn't even say it counts as a performance car, notice the four doors, it looks more like a family sedan with a little bit more power and handeling than normal. This car is nothing special, just another car that looks like everything else out there.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oooook....
    I dunno but 280bhp is pretty reasonable to start out with, and if it's anything like the current incarnation then that bodes well for it, besides, a 10 year old engine that can still hold it's own with other cars of its class is pretty dang impressive.

6. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Once American engineers get their dicks out of each others asses, and start using aluminum their non supercar cars will start to come accross a lot more power. The .85 skidpad looks pretty good though, I guess "wider is better".

7. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

OK, for all of the stupid people on this planet i think that GM is going for a conservative start for the introduction of a new model of the grand prix. Anybody with any kind of common sense knows that you can't just put all your chips out on the table when you introduce a new model car. 280hp is really respectable. Even if the engine is an old design, the engineers at GM prolly thought it would be a good idea to go with an engine that is already tested and proven reliable. About the .85g skidpad being crappy, i think you people are freakin crazy. The E36 M3 only pulls a .91g on the skidpad and costs a hell of a lot more money than this car ever will.

8. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

HA! the 3.8 is the biggest hunk of crap ever, GM should stick the new 4.1 Litre I-6 from the envoy into this car and slap on a blower<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Anyone who says this engine is crap has never seen a Buick Grand National at the strip or has been smoked by one. The 3.8 might be 10 or 15 years old but it still is making good power in it's various applications. The engine is the best thing going for this car.

10. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

No kidding. The Grand National is one of the greatest cars ever built. And for the GTP being pathetic with it's 240 hp, I don't think a four-door sedan beating a Mustang is pathetic. Well, pathetic for the Oval, maybe...<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

This post by NUMBNUTS really shows how #$%#ing stupid import owners are. If 280 FT LBS of torque sucks then the Nissan Skyline R34 - GT-R with 276 HP and 216 Ft Lbs is damn pathetic or how about The NSX-T with 290 HP and 224 FT LBS!! what the hell is going on here THESE CARS ARE LESS CAPABLE THAN A PONTIAC!! Your a damn idiot. That's why I love to see a Supra pushing 1,015 HP with .....WHAT!! 760 FT LBS??? and running 10.4 1/4's when a 650 HP vette or SS Camaro with NO NITROUS runs the same 1/4's you know why numbnuts? TORQUE. Hate american cars all you want and their 50 year old technology but stock for stock or equally modded you STILL LOSE. Pathetic ****

12. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GTRS C5</i>
    <b>This post by NUMBNUTS really shows how #$%#ing stupid import owners are. If 280 FT LBS of torque sucks then the Nissan Skyline R34 - GT-R with 276 HP and 216 Ft Lbs is damn pathetic or how about The NSX-T with 290 HP and 224 FT LBS!! what the hell is going on here THESE CARS ARE LESS CAPABLE THAN A PONTIAC!! Your a damn idiot. That's why I love to see a Supra pushing 1,015 HP with .....WHAT!! 760 FT LBS??? and running 10.4 1/4's when a 650 HP vette or SS Camaro with NO NITROUS runs the same 1/4's you know why numbnuts? TORQUE. Hate american cars all you want and their 50 year old technology but stock for stock or equally modded you STILL LOSE. Pathetic ****</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Go and suck a big black cock. You Dipshit.
    <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Hmmm..actually Lambo, numbnuts is quite right bout the Supra vs Vette/SS/Camaro...etc..

But about the skyline, it runs a 2.6L I6 engine dude!! much smaller in every aspect. As for the HP..well guess what..it's just extremely restricted. All the people I know who own R32-34s unrestrict..and even @ stock pump bout 450hp =) not little, and the AWD helps rocket the car down the street.
    The Supra.. Idunno..never really been a true fan..prefer the MR2 =P

This engine is old.
    The ones running now are the SeriesII. It is truly tried test and true, but you know what, people keep on ricing imports, this car and engine is very riceable. The 3.8L SeriesII with stock components tuned can get bout 400hp-450hp according to the 2001 GP my friend owns and that we tuned =)
    Very sweet =)
    now imagine strapping on a Eatons or Vortech charger?..that's easily 650+hp =)
    not to mention this car has a huge as engine bay, and yes it's covered by a plastic panel that can be removed. you can strap two HKS turbos too if you want =)

Get this car with the Getrag manual..or one of GMs famous 5speed autos that they make for BMW and you have one mean ass FWD sedan..and for much less compared to the Euros.

As for the people harping bout handling and comparing this too all the other cars..learn some physics!! This car is considerably larget than all the ones you compare it to. It's wider, longer, heavier!!, but then the passengers sit in comfort. In comparison, the M5 is the same size as the GP!! =P But then it'll be stupid to compare the 2.

Yes..I agree that GM needs to update engnes, but I am not sure it's truly wise to go to DOHC and SOHC engines. Sure those cars have higher rev lines, but then they have lower torque...which is very important in US car heritage. Not to mention torque does win races when it comes down the 1/4...hence the kickass top fuel cars with like 1500hp and 1600lbs/ft or whatever they run @. And Lambo owner, if you truly own one, then you should understand how important torque is since the Lambo V12 operates on the principle of alot of HP and torque...or else the car won't be going anywhere since Lambos are usually the heaviest of all the supercars.
    Back to the engine talk..the GM 4.2L I6 is good..but look @ the figure..270HP and 270lbs.ft.....dun ya think das kinda pathetic too? Well you can always tune it after.

GM sells with much less hp so that insurance is less of a killer, and so that it could compete with competition selling cheaper car =)

hmmmmm...did I miss anything?
    oh yeah...MR2 man..ummm.you say something with 4 doors is not considered performance car...I'll love to see your MR2 run with M5s =P and WRXs....Evos...umm..what else has 4 doors and rocks? Lotus Vauxhall Carleton? ummm...Opel Calibra?....MB/AMG C32, S55, CL55...
    yes..those cars have 4 doors..and it'll eat the MR2 alive =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

I like the afct that it is wider. It has some awesome handeling.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Hehehe..yeah..
    I love the handling of this car.
    It's amazing how flat the GP stays when doing some heavy cornering, but I wish all the seats had better bolstering.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoMasta</i>
    <b>My god, someone tell me is that cast iron 3.8 the buick 3.8 v6? thats a 15 year old engine. 280lbft is pityful from a supercharged 3.8, any DOHC naturally aspirated engine of same size can make more than that.

0.85 skidpan is nothing special, most hot hatches would be beating this car in the twisties

i wouldn't pay a whole dollar for this car</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    your an idiot, we aren't talking about "hot hatches". We are talking about a full size 4 door sedan. Who cares how long the engine has been around, if its good don't replace it. I suppose you think the nissan altima is great with 240hp. What? It only has 240, and its dohc? How can that be, a pushrod with more hp? The stats must be wrong, right?<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

Alfa-romeo, probably one of the best front-wheel-traction-car builder, said, by the time they launched the 156 gta, that the maximum power a front-wheel drive car should have is 250 hp, normally aspired (which implicates a maximum torque of 255-260 Nm). Anything above that whould have traction problems. Not to mention the pre-historic engine this cars has (nothing new from an american builder...), it would never have future has a sports car, since it can't put all the power on the ground has it should. At least it should be rear-wheel drive, and half the problem whould be solved.

18. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Linchpin</i>
    <b>No kidding. The Grand National is one of the greatest cars ever built. And for the GTP being pathetic with it's 240 hp, I don't think a four-door sedan beating a Mustang is pathetic. Well, pathetic for the Oval, maybe...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Fear Factory broke up :(<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Louis XIII</i>
    <b>HA! the 3.8 is the biggest hunk of crap ever, GM should stick the new 4.1 Litre I-6 from the envoy into this car and slap on a blower</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yah I agree somewhat. Why didn't they use the 4.1litre inline 6? Thats a destroyer of an engine<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Is pontiac 10 years in the past? crap torque too

I think this car has all the power it needs, it's a 4 door family sedan. It's not made to go head to head with Vipers and Ferrari. It's a good everyday car with some power to it. You have to compair it to cars in it's class, for example; Chrysler 300m (253hp), Dodge Stratus (200 hp), Ford Crown Victoria (200 hp with a 4.6 V8), Toyota Camry (194 hp), or the Honda Accord (200 hp) these are the cars that are in it's class, not these supercars. This car is a pratical car that u can drive to the store. If u want more then 280 hp then get a Corvette or something else.