Is the Koenigsegg CCX engine unique

Discussion in 'Technical' started by lt4, Jan 14, 2007.

1. I read an article in a magazine and checked Koenisgegg.com and found that the CCX engine performance varies on the fuel you use.
    806hp and 678ft lbs torque is achieved with 91 octane (US Rating)
    825hp with 95 octane (US Rating) and...
    900hp on bio fuel.Is this common in the Supercar world,and how much would this dramatic change in power increase the top speed of the CCX? (dethrone the Veyron?)

2. most cars vary in the fuel you use... it would be proportional so your 100hp 4cyl isnt gonna jump more than 10hp with an increse in 10octane points. in most countries 95 octane is standard or at least optionaly with up to 98 and 102 on many countries at the pump. i wouldnt be supprised if the factory claims and top speed runs were done on at least 100 octane.

3. nothing special for supercars, the rating for i.e. the 16/4 Veyron also vary as well as others

4. Keeping in mind the 599 recently dyno'd over 620 at the wheels.
    Also, VAG claims the 1001 horsepower rating is quite the understatement.

5. Well, an engine usually can't increase its power ouput when given a higher octane fuel. It can however decrease the power output if given a lower octane fuel in order to prevent detonation.

Biofuel, I suppose they talk about E85, and an increase in power output by 10% is not uncommon when going to ethanol. Here the engine management system must be able to adjust for the different fuel, taking advantage of the different fuel properties of E85 in order to get that power improvement.

Supercar engines running on E85 is quite uncommon and I believe that the Koenigsegg engine is currently the most powerful flexible fuel engine sold in a car.

6. thanks for the info.

7. Ethanol is a good way to bump up power.There are lots of people who have tuned their cars to run on Ethanol and have seen considerable power increases. The only downside is that E85 uses more fuel.

8. Doesnt make that much of a difference for a high speed run.. The higher octane, if not recommended would proabbly do worse performance if used.

if a car is recommended 91 octane, I wouldnt put anything higher.. maybe 92 at the most.. using higher octane has to do with compression ratio, boost (if any), timing, etc..

9. lets just say it's the most awesome engine in production

10. well it's not really, is it? you're just a fanboy.

11. Yeah, except that it isn't even close.

12. I think they call the ethanol version CCXR, and it appears that the engine output actually is closer to 1050 hp.

13. Mercedes Benz M120?

14. weak and it's mercedes

15. MONKEY MAIL FOR ALL!

16. The Koenigsegg engine is a Ford 4.6 knock off. The company used it for its original development and morphed it from 4.6L to 4.7L and developed their own castings and design changes. The cars and the engines are incredible. Octane is a rating that gives a value to the speed of the flame front in the combustion chamber. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns=ability to have higher compression and more timing. Fuels such as E85 and Methanol require less oxygen/fuel for optimal burn ratio which means there is more liquid fuel per air ratio. The increase in liquid provides substantial cooling effect, allowing more boost and higher compression before detonation. The Koenigsegg, like any car would require re tuning to take advantage of a fuel change. If a an engines timing, fuel/air ratio, boost is not altered with a fuel change there will be little performance change. Sorry for being so long winded.

17. One reason to put high than recommended octane fuel is that its usually more refined and cleaner. Even if the performance difference between 95 and 98 is barely noticable (although my mate claims it is noticeable on his GTS-t, maybe because of the turbo?), its still better for your engine.

18. it's Ford. but apparently it's been redesigned.

19. Ford is shit…Thankfully Koenigsegg started making their own and created the most incredible engine I've ever seen.

20. Why are you bashing Ford? Without them, Koenigsegg wouldnt be where they are today. The current engine is still based on Ford architecture.

21. It was the older engines that were based on Ford architecture and even then it was mostly made by Koenigsegg, the current engine is all Koenigsegg.

22. The octane rating has nothing to do with flame speed. The octane rating is only about detonation/knocking. The reference fuel used is n-heptane (0 octane) and iso-octane (100 octane).

When it comes to flame speed, E85 has a slightly higher flame speed so ignition timing is usually retarded somewhat at full load to avoid excessive combustion pressures.

E85 has a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 10:1 vs. 14.7:1 of gasoline. Octane rating is said to be somewhere around RON 104-109. The higher octane rating means that for example more boost can be used without knockning. The cooling effect (which for ethanol is much smaller than with metanol) together with the increased octane rating means that the fuel mixture at full load can be slightly leaner without havin any problems with knocking or high exhaust temperatures.

A slightly cooler spark plug is usually needed.

23. I guess you've never seen a Bugatti, Deusenberg, or Alfa Romeo Supercharged straight 8, or a Bizzarini V12, or a Speed 12, the CLK-GTR V12, or even the new Ferrari V12. There are many more incredible engines.

24. Please show some sources that show that the CCX engine is completely bespoke. Everywhere I look says that, although it is designed and built by Koenigsegg, the block design is still based on the Ford Modular architecture.

25. It's based on the Ford engine, but there aren't any Ford parts in it.

The engine used in the first Koenigsegg prototype was an Audi V8, and the engine in the production version was supposed to be a Motori-Moderni flat 12 (3.5 liters, ex F1). As a F1 engine it was never reliable, it was also overweight and underpowered (by F1 standards), so I suppose there was some reason they picked the Ford engine instead.

The Ford engine is quite heavy though. Even with Koenigseggs weight reductions the engine weigh about 215 kg. Ok, that isn't that much more than a BMW M3 engine (the latest M3 V8) with twice the output, still it isn't that light. With a different base engine I suppose it would be possible to shave off another 50 kg without any loss in power.