Is the Koenigsegg CCX engine unique

Discussion in 'Technical' started by lt4, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Wait, octane rating has nothing to do with flame speed? I've been seriously mislead. Do explain.

2. i think he's sirius

3. Aluminum block hemi engines from Indy cylinder heads or Keith black racing can run over 600 cubic inches and take up to 40 lbs of boost. They weight a little over 500lbs and can easily make 2000hp. These are the same engine designs that make over 5000hp in 1/4 mile drag cars. These engines have been modified and improved for over 50years. There is mo more powerful engines generally available for street cars

4. but do they last more than 402 meters?

5. at least any combustion engine can be modfied to run on other than just leaded fuel like bio fuel, ethanol etc... , nothing special by Koenigsegg

6. indeed. in fact the ususal reasons an engine cant are because of things like fuel lines, fuel injectors, and computer tune.

7. Octane rating is measured on a single cylinder test engine equipped with knock intensity detectors. The reference fuel used is based on iso-octane and n-heptane. For example RON 95 indicate that it performs like a mix of 95% iso-octane and 5% n-heptane regarding knock. RON referes to Research Octane Number which is a standardized method for the measurement.

Flame speed (meters/second), is usually given as laminar flame speed at a specific air fuel ratio (most are given at lambda 1). If I remember correctly the flame speed of typical gasoline is around 0.35 m/s, methanol is around 0.40-0.45 while nitromethane burns with a flame speed of 0.5 m/s. The flame speeds are highest at lambda 1 or slightly richer, at richer or leaner mixtures the speeds go down. In a running engine the turbulence increase this value many times. In a high speed engine the mean flame speed can exceed 50 m/s.

8. With ethanol usually the whole fuel system must be replaced; this means fuel pumps, fuel tanks, fuel filters, fuel lines and so on. In addition the intake valves and valve seats may need to be replaced with tougher versions.

New software functions must also be added which can detect the amount ethanol in the fuel. Additional hardware may also be needed, especially if the cars are supposed to run mainly on ethanol (this is still quite uncommon, most cars are optimised for gasoline).

9. Unfortunately the Ford modular engines are not very amenable to increasing displacement. The 4.6L engine is only 280 cubic in, the 5.4L is 330 CU IN. Both the Chevy and the Chrysler can be built to over 600cu in. The Ford engine are good, but their inability to make bigger displacement is a problem. Its hard to compete with other engines that can make almost twice the displacement. They all can have a lot of boost thrown at them.

10. Raging Balls needs to STFU.

12. Strangely, the higher a fuel's octane the lower its energy content. Jet fuel(kerosene) if it were rated by the same octane method as gasoline would have an octane rating of around 20. Methanol used as a fuel by drag cars needs twice as much fuel as gasoline to run. One of the reasons it's used is that its increased liquid amount cools the combustion process substantially alowing for more boost, and ultimately more power.

13. There is no relation between octane rating and energy content.

The main reason to use methanol is due to its high octane rating at about RON 115-130 and MON 95-103.

14. "there is no relation between octane rating and energy content" WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

91 octane gas has 114,000 btu's per gallon, e85 has an octane rating of around 105 and has 83,000 btu's per gallon, straight ethanol has an octane rating of around 113 and has 76,00 btu's, diesel fuel has about 140,000 btu's per gallon.

Usually the higher the octane rating a fuel has the lower it's btu's.

In case you don't know, A btu is the amount of heat "energy" needed to raise the temp of 1 lb of water 1 deg F.

Get your facts straight dim bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Johan is correct. He was not talking about ethanol that is a totally different situation. He was talking about normal petrochemical fuel of different octane ratings.

Your aggression in this post will not be tolerated, especially when you are incorrect.

16. the modular v8s are a band aid measure ford has been using for 15 years. It was origanally desighned as a northstar fighter for FWD lincolns so it has horrible bore spacing. Ford decided to run with what they have and pretty soon these little v8s are powering mustangs and super duty pickups. I think is was a total jew move by ford and I cant beleive another company used it as a basis for a new engine. I cant wait till the boss/hurricane engines come out.

17. I heard the hurricane engine was cancelled.

18. The original question concerned the Koenigsegg, e85 fuel, pump gas, and more hp. E85 has a higher octane rating and lower btu's/lb than pump gas. I am not wrong.

19. Johan was correct is saying there is no relation between octane and energy of the fuel. You have yet to post any proof of a relation between octane and energy, what you have shown is that petrochemical fuel has different energy than ethanol. That is not the same thing as showing octane ratings tell you something about energy content. You are adding another variable, type of fuel.

You are not wrong in that E85 has a lower energy content than normal pump fuel, but that has nothing to do with Johan said.

20. The n00b has awoken a monster.

21. If you saw a blue Ford and a red Chevy would you then conclude that Fords are generally blue and Chevys red? That is exactly what you have done here!

Ethanol contains 26.8 MJ/kg, that's the net energy content (heat left in water vapor is considered lost). Regular gasoline contains 42.7 MJ/kg and premium 43.5 MJ/kg. The high octane fuel used in NASCAR Nextel cup has a even higher energy content, about 47 MJ/kg if I remember correctly. Diesel contains 42.5 MJ/kg, slightly less than gasoline while it also have a much lower octane rating. Avgas contains 43.5 MJ/kg and kerosene 43 MJ/kg, kerosine is of course low octane So, by just using these few examples you can see that there is no relation between energy content and octane rating.

The energy content per volume can however differ some from mass basis, for example diesel contains more energy per liter than gasoline due to its higher density.

22. Are you sure about the energy content of diesel? Is this a measurement for the energy content for engines (Mechanical energy) of general energy content (Heat)? I heard the main reason why diesel engines "extract" more mechanical power from a certain volume of fuel is the fact that thermal efficiƫncy goes up with higher compression ratio's (it says so in my course of thermodynamics).
    Maybe i'm confusing two things or i misunderstood something?

23. in my opinion, there is no V8 that is more incredible than a V12/W12 nor a W16 from a bugatti...

24. Yes, these are the same values specified in "Bosch Automotive Handbook".

The net energy content is the heat released during burning (chemical reaction) of a fuel minus the heat left in the water vapor produced by the fuel.

Higher compression ratio is one reason for why diesel engines can produce more power per volume of fuel. Other reasons include smaller pumping losses at part load and a fuel with a higher energy content per volume (due to higher density).

25. you are correct about content but are a noob for not understanding the relationship between the energy content and stiochemetric....if you cant keep up stay out