Is there a replacement for displacement???

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by skylineman123, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Let me explain my background first. I am a mechanical engineer currently employed in a custom construction equipment manufacturing firm. My first job out of engineering school (I went to drexel) was designing performance parts for domestic V8s. There is definitely a substitute for cubic inches.

There are six things that make up fast acceleration times, in order of importance they are
    1.) Weight, Inertia is acceleration's biggest enemy.
    2.) Power, approximately 3/4 of the horsepower out put number should be torque. And yes, the faster the crank spins the more power you will make. At high rpm crank inertia is a rather effective substitute for torque.
    3.) Gearing, the peak power of an engine should be transmitted to the drivetrain as continuously possible. CVTs are the most efficient transmission, Period. (personally I prefer a six speed manual.) Also remember that no matter what transmission you have, you will still loose anywhere from 14-26% percent of crank power due to internal frictional and torsional losses inside the drivetrain. 5-6% for a sportbike.
    4.) The limits of Adhesion, exceed the limits of your tires and acceleration suffers in a big way.
    5.) Geometry, the angles and planes that make up a driving suspension must be aligned so that any flex and/or twist is absorbed by the pavement, not the frame or drivetrain.
    6.) Aerodynamics, even at thirty miles per hour, the aerodynamic forces acting on your car will significantly slow it down compared to the theoretical vacuum. Remember that every time you double your speed, the resistance to forward motion squares.

Here comes the final pitch. The driver, Smooth equals speed, no exceptions. If you go to track school, the instructors will drill that into your head. Smooth on the shift/brakes/gas/wheel. Don't be a fool and slam the clutch in and out. If you have a good transmission you can change gears seamlessly just as quickly as by slamming the clutch, only you can do it smoothly so you won't kill a good bit of your momentum by creating an abrupt opposing force acting on the drivetrain. Your car will last longer if you are smooth because you are putting far less mechanical stress on it.

If that whole dissertation was not convincing enough, then explain why a 1000cc sportbike will run mid nines in the quarter mile with a professional rider. and an 8000cc plus Hennessey viper will run low tens with a professional driver.