Israel attacks Libanon

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dahlis, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Erm, yeah......

The UN granted jews a homeland on someone else's homeland. That is f**ked up. They had no right to kick Europe's 'problem' out of Europe - They should have bloody sent all the jews to Poland or something. And I assume you do agree about Israel f**king around because of religion.

2. Fcuked up or not, they're there. And most of the people in Israel weren't even born the country was formed. Perhaps all the people living in the United States, regardless of their ethnicity should just leave and go back to the homeland of their forefathers? I mean, it's only fair to the Native Americans. While we're at it let's tear down the buildings and infastructure so we can leave it just the way we found it.

3. What you dont get is that this happened in modern time, it happened 58 years ago..not 580 years ago meaning that more than likely when your parents were born it was still 'Palestine'. Now, imagine if you are a elder palestinian and you grew up living in Palestine but today it is Israel which was taken by force....its a totally different story to the one of the American Indians and the Yanks.

4. LOL, the most ignorant, conspiracy-ladened post ill read all day. so Israel is just there so the Jews can conjure their messiah? and the USA, with a jewish population larger than all of israel hates jews? riiight.

nice ignorant little cop out at the end there, too by the way.

5. is that supposed to be some hare-brained case to say that israel should wholly be returned to the palestinians?

6. No dumbass, its a case to illustrate that its still fresh and it still hurts.

7. It was never "Palestine". There are no "Palestinians" and there never were.

8. So you're saying we should try and achieve a certain status-quo for some time until the hate wears down?

9. Actually bucknutz it is pretty significant, as I stated in a previous post there are three aquifers that are of interest to Israel, the Eastern Aquifer, the Nablus-Gilboa Aquifer, and most importantly the Yarkon-Tannim Aquifer. With the exception of the first two, Yarkon-Tannim is regarded by Israel as one of its three main sources of water and what makes it even more important is that it supplies the Jeruslem-Tel-Aviv area.

Now that being said, Israel is already faced with a problem of a growing water shortage, with an estimate increase in demand of about 30% by 2020. This causes a serious issue to Israel, which is really why I don't see them leaving the West Bank at all.

10. Ok, So what was the country called before 1946.

11. There never was a Kurdistan; does that mean there are no Kurds?

As far as the Palestinian people are considered, you are a serious ignorant idiot to make a statement like that.

12. So what other factors are there? It can be easily shown that Israel had stopped the occupation until the militants did something stupid.

13. PLEASE NOTE : It's never ok to kill civilians.

Quote from bbcnews.com;

Last Updated: Saturday, 15 July 2006, 16:40 GMT 17:40 UK

Israel kills Lebanese civilians

An Israeli air raid has killed at least 17 Lebanese civilians who were fleeing southern border areas.

Women and children were among those killed when the convoy was hit. "Bodies litter the road," an eyewitness said.

Israel has expanded its campaign launched after Hezbollah militants seized two Israeli soldiers. More than 70 Lebanese have been killed.

Hezbollah has responded with rockets. Several have hit the town of Tiberias in the deepest such attack in Israel.

Three Israeli sailors are missing after their ship was hit by a Hezbollah missile on Friday. The body of a fourth was found, according to Israeli media.

The ship had caught fire after it was hit by an Iranian-made missile, the Israeli military said.

sraeli jets have also fired rockets on the Lebanon-Syrian border.

The exact location of the Israeli action is not clear, but Syria has denied that Israel hit targets in its territory.

"The air force is bombing roads and bridges on the border between Lebanon and Syria to prevent Hezbollah from taking our captured soldiers out of the country," an Israeli army spokeswoman said, quoted by the Agence France Presse news agency.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said the offensive will continue until Hezbollah releases the soldiers and stops firing rockets at Israel.

At least four people have been injured in the Tiberias rocket-fire, which came as Israel deployed Patriot interceptor missiles in the northern port city of Haifa.

In other attacks:

* Israeli planes struck the northern port city of Tripoli, and carried out raids in north and north-eastern Lebanon for the first time

* They targeted the port and a lighthouse in the capital Beirut and destroyed the headquarters of Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah amid a series of strikes on the southern suburbs, which are a Hezbollah stronghold

* Three civilians were killed in an Israeli attack in Hermel, on the border with Syria, Hezbollah's al-Manar TV said

* Israeli warplanes also targeted sites in the eastern city of Baalbek.

Nowhere to flee

A number of families were fleeing their village of Marwahin on the Israeli border when their convoy was struck by missiles on the coastal road to Tyre, a UN spokesman told the BBC.

Local residents told al-Jazeera TV the villagers had been hit after being told to leave Marwahin by the Israelis and then refused shelter by the UN forces.

The main road had been under continuous bombardment, Ahmad Ali Ubayd said.

"Where is the international justice when children, women, and the elderly are killed?" he said.

The Israeli Army said the responsibility for endangering the civilian population rested with Hezbollah, and they regretted civilian casualties while targeting areas used as a launching ground for missiles.

Correspondents say there is nowhere safe to go for many trying to flee the south.

In past hostilities, much of the mainly Shia population of the south has sought refuge in Beirut's largely Shia southern suburbs, which are now under attack too.

A number of bridges, petrol stations and key roads have also been hit, including the main road linking northern Lebanon to Syria.

Thousands of foreigners have fled Beirut, leaving its economy in tatters.

Countries including the US and France are making plans to evacuate their nationals from Lebanon.

The presidents of the US and Russia have differed in emphasis in voicing concern about the Mid-East crisis at the G8 summit in St Petersburg.

George W Bush urged Lebanon's Hezbollah to disarm while Vladimir Putin called for a "balanced" use of force by Israel.

ISRAEL IN LEBANON
    March 1978: Israel invades to stop Palestinian attacks
    1982: Full-scale invasion; Israel occupies Beirut; pro-Israel militias massacre Palestinian refugees
    May 1983: Israel pulls back, but keeps "security zone"
    February 1992: Israeli air strike kills Hezbollah leader
    1996: Israel launches "Grapes of Wrath" raids on Hezbollah; 100 civilians die under Israeli shelling of UN base at Qana
    May 2000: Israel withdraws troops from Lebanon
    January 2004: Prisoners-bodies swap agreed between Hezbollah and Israel

14. So you're saying that if Israel sticks around for another 100 years or so, everything will be okay and the Palestinians will stop attacking them? Sweet.

15. It wasn't a country. Your question is void.

16. Wow man, the situation is #$%#ed there

17. Check your PM's man.

18. It was called "Palestine", but it wasn't a country and never was. When it was a country before, it was called "Israel". Palestinian isn't an ethnicity. They have no separate language, or cuisine, or customs. Their ethnicity is Arab. The Romans gave the name "Palestine" to that area. They named it after the Greek settlers who lived there.

19. Yeah.

20. OK, Thanx for the info,

21. Even the resident Israeli said it wasn't significant...

22. Who you talking about as the resident Israeli? Idol? Well why don't you judge for yourself.....

Israel's total water consumption is about 1800 Million Cubic Meters (Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs). As per my previous post, I stated that about 495 Million Cubic Meters comes from the West Bank area. While, I'll admit I my previous statement saying "supplies the majority" was wrong, are you going to tell me that a source that supplies almost 30% of the nations water supply is not SIGNIFICANT?!

Now take these numbers and understand that by Israel's own estimates, the total amount is going to increase by about 30%. Again, are you going to tell me that Idol is right by saying this is not significant?

One other note you should also know is that about 80 to 90 percent of the water being pumped out of the West Bank goes to Israel.

23. It's significant, but it's not a deal-breaker. And besides, like I pointed out earlier, it's not as if the proposed country of Palestine would not have any contacts or trade with Israel. They'd have to if they'd want to survive.

24. Can't say I agree with you on that, if Israel leaves they would end up giving up these water facilities to the control of the Palestinians.

However seeing Israel's dependence in the water I can see them demanding to be able to have their own military forces remain in the West Bank to protect these facilities and ensure that water continues to flow. Further conditions would also be demanded such as ownership, staffing, pricing, and volume that must be sent. Then other issues will also be raised on how far Israel's own forces would be able to move with in the West Bank.

Think also that the West Bank will also continue to grow (especially once the Israel occupation has ended) and their dependence on this Water will increase, and currently Israel requires 90 percent.

Now, look at those few points I've raised from a Palestinian view point. Could you really accept that? Also seeing as how Palestine is supposed to become a democracy, can you see any Palestinian minister accepting this?

25. If it's a West Bank with an Israeli presence (at least a temporary one) or no West Bank at all, I don't think it would take too long for them to come to a decision. Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but giving up the West Bank isn't exactly ideal for Israel, either. You have to give a little to get a little.