It about respect...

Discussion in '1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C' started by myn08, Dec 2, 2002.

1. It's intresting to see that out of all the cars on this site, this is one of the least bashed on! Does anybody know why? It's obvious but I'd like to hear what you guys think...

2. Re: It about respect...

why is it the least bashed on? cuz this car is a classic that will never die. when carrol shelby started on this car in the early 60's, he knew exactly what he was doing. he made a marvelous car that won tons of races. it was truly one of the most powerful of its time, and it still gives a helluva lot of power for such a small roadster. i have never gotten the priveledge to drive one, let alone sit in one, but i have seen the shelby cobra on several occasions, and it is still probably the most beautiful car ive ever seen. my dream is to own one of these rare gems one day,

3. Re: It about respect...

I have a theory on that one.

There are 4 types of people on this site.

a)American car fans
    b)European car fans
    c)japanese car fans
    d)those who like everything and don't really care

It works something like this. American car fans go to the Euro car pages (and japanese cars such as the nsx and skyline) claiming the lingenfelter vette, hennesey viper or other such car is faster for less money. They then begin slandering that car. The European car fans (and fore-mentioned japanese fans) then go to the american car forums and complain about the lack of refinement and track ability of American cars. Both opinions are usually mis-informed and totally wrong.

Sometimes it goes the other way around, but you get the idea. Thing is, Americans aren't going to bash their own car, and seeing the cobra stemmed from the AC cobra made in Europe, the Euro car fans don't want to bash it either. And the Japanese car fans don't really want to bash it, because Japan makes very little in this car's performance bracket, and hance have little to compare it to.

Just my opinion. I'd group myself in group D.

4. Re: It about respect...

well, another thing would be......what is there to dislike about this car? if you're talkin luxury, get a brain that's not what this car is about. if you're talkin looks, well, maybe the looks aren't for you. but you really can't argue with performance can you? being that this car is badass in that area, no1 can do anythin cept stare in awe at what might be muscle car perfection.

5. Re: It about respect...

This car is a classic. It will never die as long as it lives on in our memories.

6. Re: It about respect...

i usually dont like american cars i myself am a fan of most euro cars but i dont compare cars like an idiot (ferrari f50 to a corvette) thats for stupid people but i like euro cars and this is one of the only american cars i like. i just think carrol shelby is a big hustler to have made cars like the 427 the daytona coupe and most of the muscle cars and funny cars hes crazy

7. Re: It about respect...

Ye but this isn't an American car!

8. Re: It about respect...

has anyone seen the remake of this car; its called the phantom cobra cuz it has a cobra painted on the fender the same way that they do gohst-flames. the car is awesome: it has a 725 horse 427! this would make the car run a 1/4 mile somewhere in the low 9's! I don't understand why this website doesn't have the phantom cobra or either of the new elanors.

9. Re: It about respect...

One of the best stats for the original 427/SC Cobra is 0-100-0 in 14 seconds. A real nice Ferrari 275 GTB/4 from the same year can do 0-100 in about 15 seconds. Now if you got a real nice 427 Corvette from 1967, the 435 hp version, and had a clean pass, when you got to 100mph,the Cobra would already be parked, pipes and brakes sizzling, having already been there and back.
    The stats on this web page are incorrect. 0-100 in about 9 secs, 100-0 in about 5 secs. I'm a Ferrari man myself, but the Cobra and the GT-40 are two legends that require minimum research to establish their position of grandeur in motorsports. Regarding this American/European thing: park an A.C. Ace from 1961, the year before Mr. Shelby jammed a 260 into the first Cobra, next to a 1966 427/SC and try to say it's the same car. European roots? Yes. American? Damn right it is.

10. Re: It about respect...

this car is badass and you guys can't say shit about it. i think that this is the best car ever made. it is the best in more ways then one

11. Re: It about respect...

I totally agree, this is an american classic. This car is and always will be a head turner, ive driven some bad ass cars in my day but still have yet to try this one... I love this car and I am almost anti-ford but this and the GT40 are two of the best yet most underestimated cars out there.

12. Re: It about respect...

What the hell are you smoking?

I think people dont bash it cuz it has European roots, American Muscle, and somethin the Japanese cant match for its power to weight ratio.

13. Re: It about respect...

I got to sit in a real 289 at a carshow in Ohio. I had goose bumps and I felt like I was going to pass out with joy even though it was parked with like 70 people crammed around it.

The reason I'd say it doesn't get picked on is because you can't argue with Big Block powered go kart

14. Because you touch yourself at night.