its a Ruf not a Porsche

Discussion in '2001 Ruf 911 RTurbo' started by YyCloaknDaggeryY, Jan 21, 2003.

1. yes i know they look the same, but ruf only cuts costs by buying already made porsche bodies. Even in Germany they're listed as seperate manufacturers. and no there's never gonna be a Ruf SUV. engine stays in the back where it should be for these sports cars.

and a V? what the hell is up with Vs? stay pure, stay flat.

2. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

from what i understand, ruf is an aftermarket modding company sort of like steve saleen withthe mustangs, or lingenfelter with vettes and vipers and such. i was pretty sure that the ruf's were porsches with mods done to it. but i could be wrong.

3. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

4. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

I think even though a manufacturer builds a car, once it gets so moded that the original performance is altered then I think it becomes proprietory to the Mod Shop.

Like Software....code is available, but you alter it and make it your own....just a thought. Saaaaweeet car though nontheless.

5. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

i understand that RUF is much closer to porsche then lets say lingenfelter. more to the idea of AMG to mercedes, but not as close as being owned by em like SVT is to ford. thats what i have heard.

6. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

The German government acutally recognizes Ruf as a car manufacturer. From Ruf, you can get buy Ruf automobile (which always starts as a Porsche and then undergoes major remodification).. such as the Rturbo, the 3400S etc... OR after if buy a Porsche you can have it sent to Ruf for some choice modifications.

If the car is one of those designated Ruf models that you buy from Ruf, it actually has it's own serial/VIN number that Ruf gives it after they modify it. If the car is a Porsche that you have chosen to modify with Ruf parts, it is still registered as a porsche.

Becareful after winning the lottery and buying that shiny new Ruf Rturbo. When you register it with DMV, make sure you write "Ruf" when it asks for the make of the car. ;-)

7. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

Ok sorry, I just butchered that first paragraph of my last post. What I meant to say is:

...The German government acutally recognizes Ruf as a car manufacturer. From Ruf, you can either buy a Ruf automobile (which always starts as a Porsche and then undergoes major remodification).. such as the Rturbo, the 3400S etc... OR if you buy a Porsche you can have it sent to Ruf for some choice modifications...

the rest of what I wrote should make sense... i hope.

8. Re:

Not just Porsche bodies, but with the flat-six, too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Meanwhile, this car is a Porsche modified by RUF, just like Dinan does bmw, koenig does ferrari..

9. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

i found this out to answer this, germans are wierd. the reason they do that is because "they mod the cars enough to where they are not that close to factory"
    i learned this from the top gear vid for some brabus mercedes, the germans call brabus a seperate manufacturer too, its juss cuz they mod the cars to the extent where it cannot be called porsche, so they list it as ruf.
    sorry if its confusing, only way i could think of sayin it.

10. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

actually they dont mod the porsches much... they really build everything but the body.

11. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

If you think that that's not a porsche go to an eye doctor.
    and correct your big mistake.
    Favorite cars
    -Porsche
    -Porsche
    -Porsche...ect.

smoke the crap off any ferrari it strips. ha ha!

12. Re: its a Ruf not a Porsche

Guys do your research... RUF does both.

They can mod your pre-purchased Porsche, and it will remain a Porsche with RUF mods (keeping the original Porsche VIN)
    OR
    They can send you a complete car, custom made to your specifications with a RUF VIN.