its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

Discussion in '2000 Marcos Mantis GT' started by NismoMasta, Aug 10, 2002.

1. some styling details there look a little viperish don't they?they obviously set out to make 'better' viper... forced induction shows you don't need ludicrous displacement, and TVR-like weight means it hauls ass, and gosh it doesn't appear to cost much more than a viper too!

well blow me (pun intended) ...
    they've out vipered the viper<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

I agree with you on performance but this car looks like a piece of shit whereas the viper is a god damn master piece of art

I really think this car has been designed by a blind person.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

yeah don't know about that rear end! ick<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

true....but this things not all that big remember. and being made of ligtweigt materials it goes like shit. It would be an experience driving one I dare say.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

dont agree, the viper is much heavier and has a V10, and the rear end is way more aerodynamic than the vipers rear end

6. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

you are so #$%#ed in the head this car is way better than the viper if you have driven this thing you would agree
    when you go in a viper it is very shit compared to a marcos mantis

P.S Mother#$%#ers
    Like all of
    You people
    Dont know what
    You are on about!

7. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

this still looks crap though..and i think looks are mostly what cars are about (50% performance 50% looks) and the viper has good performance and excellent looks this has excellent performancr and crap looks... VIPER WINS ITS A CLASSIC A DREAM COME TRUE.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

the mantis was designed before the viper, but wasnt produced until later for financial reasons.
    the mantis is an evolution of an early 1980's model (mantula 3.2 i think) but i cant remeber its name and that one was an evolution of an 1970's model (a GT race car)

so really you could say viper copied the marcos.

9. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

Looks are subjective. What is good for some people isn't for others.

"As for performance being only 50% of the make up of the car" It took me a while to stop laughing from that one. <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Nicklin</i>
    <b>the mantis was designed before the viper, but wasnt produced until later for financial reasons.
    the mantis is an evolution of an early 1980's model (mantula 3.2 i think) but i cant remeber its name and that one was an evolution of an 1970's model (a GT race car)

so really you could say viper copied the marcos.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

hes right, i have picks of the very first mantis ever made way back in 1969, i dont think there were any vipers back then and they have kept the original basic shape of the car since then.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuperSonic</i>
    <b>this still looks crap though..and i think looks are mostly what cars are about (50% performance 50% looks) and the viper has good performance and excellent looks this has excellent performancr and crap looks... VIPER WINS ITS A CLASSIC A DREAM COME TRUE.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Er? Viper's don't look that good man.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

""As for performance being only 50% of the make up of the car" It took me a while to stop laughing from that one. "

Well, you may as well keep laughing because i agree completely.if i had to choose between a great looking car with class, and no performance, or a great performing car with no class and ugly, id go for the looker. Think about it..

Otherwise it would be easy to just buy a 84 Toyota Supra for say 10k (AUS$), and spend 20k on performance components. Otherwise u could just buy a 96 Supra for 30k (AUS$). If i had the alternative of this 84 Supra wiht 20k worth of mods, or a stock 96 supra, id go for the 96. You may disagree, which is allowed as one has the right to their opnion of course, but i know which id choose. (96 model)

13. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

this picture makes the car look al weird... the mantis is an old design... and if you lok at other pics.. you may notice that the look is not as much as viper as it is porsche on the front :p anyways.. this is a fun car to drive since its so light ... it must be fun U-turning :D anyways... <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

Most people who have seen my Mantis GT seem to like it.

15. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

i dislike it's looks, and i have a deep seeded hatred of visible when folded down canvas roofs. at least the 2003 hides it under a cover, this just lets it hang out, that can't be good for Cd ratings. the 2003 viper looks a lot better and even though the engine r comparable in power i think the viper would probably still be better, more torque and no lag assocaited with forced induction, although it is pushrod and long stroke so dunno how quick it would rev neways with all it's inertia. however the marcos' lightweight is really good, that's what i luv about small british manufacturers(caterham, tvr, tridentetc.) - their absolute abhorrence of weight.

16. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAA!!!
    YEAH RIGHT, ITS ALSO A PORSCHE 911 TURBO COPY, LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE CAR....., IT ALSO HAS SOME MCLAREN F1 PARTS...Ž

GO **** YOURSELF

17. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

this car rocks. a bloke in my street has one, it is mad fast! the only comparable supercars i have been in are an F355 and an M5 and this eclipses both. it might be ugly but its incredibly exotic. and besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. the sound is phenomenal but the handling makes it one of the scariest cars to be a passenger in. in my limited experience, only suprebikes are more scary. i dont know how it would compare with a viper, i live in the UK and a big american muscle car isnt exactly an everyday sight.

but just one thing... this car is almost ALWAYS being repaired. it breaks literally every 100 miles

dont knock it until youve tried it... this constant jap vs US vs european argument is bollocks, cars can be good regardless of its country of origin.

18. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

oh and another thing, why would a british company want to copy a viper? we have a tiny number of them here and there isnt a particularly big market for that type of car (american muscle) and something like a TVR is much more desirable. or this for that matter.

19. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

The Viper can never, NEVER be considered a classic.

20. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

This is a lovely car, both in performance and looks, Top Gear tested it once, look at the gague measuring g-force! (blue roadster)
    I think it looks better in fixed head coupe...

21. Re: its a viper copy.. and they've done it better

sayng that this car is a viper copy would be like saying that porsche 911 is a copy of audi tt... This car's design has passed down generation after generation, the firs one came in 1963... that was way before they even planned the viper or the C-3 corvette...
    I just say to all of you that say tis car is a viper copy: MAKE SURE YOURE BRAIN IS CONNECTED BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH!!!
    just look at it:
    (The white one is Left-Hand-Drive...!)