Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Discussion in '2002 Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept' started by greese monkey, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

yes this car does look great but would be better with a supercharged v6 in front of that gearbox. it sould be great against those jap cars and hopefully thay do put then into production at a good price.i see a hint of bmw.

2. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Looks a little too polished with the Bentley grills. 6 Spd is nice though
    <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Why is gm using SUV parts for this? It is rwd isn't it? Pontiac gonna enter rally and do some crazy spin outs or something?

4. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Id take it over a Grandam or any of the crap Pontiac is making lately...
    BRAVO!

Ohh I kinda like the Gran Prix though... But thats it!

5. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

This is a excellent choice other den da Firebird.. 'cause Firebird would have been my choice.. but now.. this would be my car... if the price is rite... but seriously... not enough power...

6. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Yeah, one has to cry that the Firebird's not going to be around anymore, but it's nice to see them "replace" it with something like this. And this really makes more sense anyway, since the Firebird and the Corvette were essentially the same car, except for the price. I'd HATE to see a V6 in here (just because I'm biased against V6s) but a straight six, or flat six might be nice ...

7. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

I'm glad that pontiac is tryin' out new stuff,to be honest they didn't have any realy innovtive cars in the last few years.
    I think this car will change that.

>>>I don't really like but it's ok

8. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Speaking of using SUV parts for the car... why don't they (GM) dump in that new straight six they're using for the TrailBlazer in there? If it had some kind of forced induction with that engine in there, that would be a nice car, especially with that 'Vette transmission in there.

9. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

LOL..do you have any idea how big that Vortec engine is?
    4.2L buddy!!
    big bore..big stroke...
    and a lil heavy.
    Plus this is supposed to be American Rice Rocket...wait...das not rite...NA doesn't have rice...ummmm..American Wheat Rocket? American Cracker? American Bread?..whatever..

They need to keep it a 4 cyl...relatively low displacement..but high hp and high Torque.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

They could stand to supercharge it though, if it isn't already.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

i'm glad GM is finally thinking Correct wheel drive in a fairly decent sports car. bout time they did look at the heritage the GTO's, Trans Am's, Catilina's and 2+2's. Although mabye a 3.8 would be nice since the rest of the drive train is so indestructable (oops did i say that) mabye a m-22 and 12 bolt and while we're at it a 455 SD now i know i'm dreamin

12. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

OK this is a nice car but why the ECOTEC L850 INLINE-4 put a 3800 V6 in it come on now and then supercharge it. but have you heard of the dodge razor, well if you have this is its compotition cuz i know the razor will come out into production and be priced low so maybe this one will come roll in to production as the F-bodys roll out of production.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

V-6s suck, keep the four

14. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

uhm yeah its nice to see Mr Lutz ordered the development of this product, there was this buzz a few years ago about Pontiac bringing a rebadged version of the Opel Speedster (which is based in the Lotus Elise mechanicals) for the States, it was a nice car though several things about its design would need to be extensively reworked due to US Safety regulations...

anywayz, the Solstice is a "different kind of Pontiac" from what we had seen lately (like the piranha, REV, Aztek, Vibe). I'd like to see it going to production soon.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

Against jap cars it would be king<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Its no Firebird, but hell I'd buy it.

correct me if im wrong but didn't car and driver say it weighed only 2400 lbs instead of the posted 2900