jay lenos 1966 oldsmobile toronado

Discussion in 'Classic Cars' started by Chevy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. will at the sema show

2. That's a nice FWD cruiser.

3. It's not FWD.

4. Yes, it is. That's the first North American FWD car.

5. This one had a RWD conversion for Leno, as far as I know it is the only RWD Toronado.

6. With all that power and torque, how would that car have traction?

7. #7 V8stangman, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  8. #8 BowtieIZBetter, Nov 4, 2004
    Yeah like I said I think it is the only RWD Toronado in the world right now.
    Edit: Also with the LS1 it has to be RWD, the trans has to be mounted behind the axle.

9. #9 catphish, Nov 4, 2004
  10. #10 BowtieIZBetter, Nov 4, 2004
  11. The Oldsmobile Toronado had a longitudinal FWD setup, meaning the engine was mounted like that of a RWD car.

12. Not if it was mounted to the factory Old's transmission stupid. Look at my pictures of the factory set up. The engine sat on top of the transmission.

13. I was right all along. Even Jay's a FWD, right?

14. #14 BowtieIZBetter, Nov 4, 2004
    It is RWD.
    http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2004_sema/leno/info.doc "– but under the sheet metal lies a modified C5 Corvette chassis and suspension, along with the sophisticated twin-turbocharged prototype crate engine and a Corvette rear transaxle."

15. Wow, that is the most beautiful formally a FWD car I've ever seen.

16. nice car but the original power plant (the 425ci starfire 395hp engine) was more than enough why replacing it by a chevy engine? I don't get it

17. originality, fun, cool, etc.

18. Because he's Jay Leno.

19. It's got twin turbos and 1070 horsepower. Not to mention, like already stated, it's Jay Leno. He's got a custom hot-rod with an engine out of an M-47 Patton tank, with 810 horsepower and over 1500 lb-ft.

20. Thanks for the info concerning the olds.I have heard about his custom hot rod last year and about his buick some months ago.

21. #21 Duesey, Nov 7, 2004
    Just b/c it has a Corvette rear transazel doesn't mean it is RWD, it could have that transaxel mounted in the front. I would put my money on the fact that it is FWD. Knowing Jay Leno, he wouldn't make it RWD, that would defeat the purpose of making a hot rod out of a Olds Tornado. He would only turn a Tornado into a screaming hotrod if he could KEEP it FWD.

22. Wasn't America's first FWD btw.

23. u know Jay Leno now?

24. Yes

25. Yes I know Jay Leno...