Just out of curiosity.......

Discussion in '2002 Lotus Elise Type 72' started by SuprJames, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Is there ever a point when a car could be too light? It seems like there would eventually be a weight where a car would get blown around, have horrible hops across bumps, and have serious traction issues (especailly in wet weather). Not saying this car has any of those problems, but do you guys get what I'm saying?

2. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

I can see your point.

As long as the suspensions , tires and aerodynamic are maid for , you can have very light cars.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

it can be light as shit but if you have downforce, with spoilers etc, it ill be fine

4. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

yeah.. well look at sport bikes (yes, I'm a fan)

they weigh 370lb's with 120 HP motors...

now if you read any reviews they talk about all that kinda stuff.. skipping on bumps, and such..

it all has to do with weight distrabution, and suspension setup.. meaning preload and damper, if set up right, the bumps barely affect your line in a turn...

however being so light poping up the front wheel is easy.. so you need to ride that clutch till you're up to speed! lol

the lighter the better... handling increases, accelleration increases...

and yes.. downforce is good, though it kills top speed.. but staying on the ground is "usually" more important. lol

-siv

5. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

I'd hate to hit a giant pothole with a sport bike going at 100mph...

6. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

Its all about the downforce.

7. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

lol

8. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

this car iz pretty damn light , but i don't think it would have those kinda problems

9. Re: Just out of curiosity.......

siv is right

The only real problem associated with lighter and lighter cars is that the unsprung weight becomes comparatively more.

Therefore the mass of the wheels/brakes becomes harder to control.
    If on a heavier car the springs just keep the wheels on the ground, the same springs on a much lighter car will be too hard for a good ride, and if the springs are made too much softer they won't control teh mass.

So you must lessen unsprung weight to keep road-holding and ride-quality high. You get forged aluminum (or magnesium or carbon-fibre) wheels, and lighter (possibly floating) brakes.

Like siv said, Sportbikes seem to do just fine.
    (but I don't think any car will ahve much trouble with wheelying, COG is too low, and wheelbase too long. Unless you have insane amounts of torque. But even the Lingenfelter Vette that went 0-60 in 1.9 still had four wheels on the ground)

The reason why the Elise does not have much downforce, is that they wanted it to be perfectly balanced and very predictable.
    It is not about pure road-holding, but about nimbleness and responsiveness and accuracy.
    (note that even though teh Vette beat teh Elise on teh skidpad on the R&T test, teh Elise had higher cornering speeds)