Kinda slow?

Discussion in '1968 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L88 Coupe' started by American HP, Aug 9, 2002.

1. With that kind of horsepower, should'nt the quarter mile time be faster than 13.56? Don't get me wrong I think this car is amazing, but that 1/4 mile time has to be wrong. I'm more of a mustang guy myself, but I love all american muscle cars. This is one of the best looking vettes ever!

2. Re: Kinda slow?

but if u think about it, its only got skinny tires, and that kind of power will let them spin for quite some time.

3. Re: Kinda slow?

Also remember that the weight of these older sports cars is much more than that of cars today. Even with all that power, this car still weighed 3419 lbs. Thats a lot of weight to move down the strip.

4. Re: Kinda slow?

Does anyone know what the numbers would be if it had some wide slicks on it?

5. Re: Kinda slow?

The car wasn't really that fast when in 100% stock condition. Since the car was intended for race use, and expected to be used with open exhaust, Chevrolet installed the much cheaper and highly restrictive exhaust option. Racers were expected to simply remove it. Direct from the factory with full exhaust the L88 didn't perfom much better than the ordinary big block Corvette. Car Life recorded a truly disappointing 14.1@106.89 while Hot Rod did slightly better with 13.56@111.10. Those cars had a three speed automatic. In their 8/92 issue, Vette tested a restored car with 4 speed and 4.11:1 gearing and got a 12.542@111.06.
    With open exhaust the car could perform much better, but many of the wild claims you see are a result of some highly modified L88 and ZL1 press cars Chevrolet set up for drag racing - they were not even close to what was sold to the public.

6. Re: Kinda slow?

With a Tremec instead of the old Muncie, and a nice pair of Mickey T's, it would probably be around low-mid 11s.

7. Re: Kinda slow?

forget that year this car was built? 68, that was over 30 years ago the car was heavy at the time. Sure stick this in a new Z06 and you'll be running high 11's<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Kinda slow?

these cars were not as heavy as you think. and they tested them with stock poly-glas tires. the 1/4 mile time is probably more like high 11s or low 12s. the times that are listed here are probably for the base model corvette with the big block in it that year.

9. Re: Kinda slow?

I have found that the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times of alot of cars on this sight are a bit slower than the true time

10. Re: Kinda slow?

Well almost every coment i was going to make has already been made by some pretty knowlegeable people. just let me say that any horsepower number listed from a '60's muscle car is in gross hp not net like the society of automotive engineers uses today, so in todays numbers you can figure 30 or so hp less.maybe even less than that

11. Re: Kinda slow?

I don't know how accurate these figures are, but I've heard times as fast as 10.90 for the quarte mile and 176 mph top end. Did you know that a standard L88 led Le Mans for a while before a gudgeon pin ended all hopes in the middle of the night?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Kinda slow?

All those times I quoted are correct - all were independently recorded and are representative of how the car actually performed with full exhaust in stock configuration. That figure you quoted from the book is nonsense - you would never get such a good E.T. with such a low trap speed unless the timing equipment was extremely inaccurate. In their October 1968 issue, Sports Car Graphic said the L-88 drag car Chevrolet had produced for the press hit an E.T. of 11.15, but trap speeds were in the 125 to 130 mph range. The ZL1 drag car Chevrolet produced was even better, Motor Trend reported the 1/4 in 10.60@132mph in their 10/69 issue. You have to remember that those were highly modified cars set up for drag racing and were very far from what was sold to the public. Duntov himself drove a ZL1 set up for road racing for Road & Track's 5/69 issue - the car did the 1/4 in 12.1@116. That race car was far slower slower than the drag cars but would be faster than any of the street cars could possibly be.

13. Re: Kinda slow?

yeah, the acceleration isn't the greatest - but the gear ratios are probably way on the low end. Resulting in blinding top speed. It takes a while to get there, but this vette is one sereous performer. It begs to be driven.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Kinda slow?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Frother</i>
    <b>I don't know how accurate these figures are, but I've heard times as fast as 10.90 for the quarte mile and 176 mph top end. Did you know that a standard L88 led Le Mans for a while before a gudgeon pin ended all hopes in the middle of the night?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    I believe it, this is one of the most amazing cars I've ever heard of. I've always had a thing for vettes, but I never heard about this one.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Kinda slow?

umm hello? were talkin bout 1960's this was a crack in the ass for all the other cars<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Kinda slow?

as compared to the zl1, the l88 was a common beetle. the zl1 has made to measure aluminium engine which was used in canam racing

17. Re: Kinda slow?

Bottom line......this car kicks ass. If the tire technology wasn't behind then, and u could replace stuff with aluminum, like driveshafts and engine parts, and body(even caarbon fiber), and the differential, etc. i bet this piece would be in the 9's.

18. Re: Kinda slow?

this car fastest times were the following
    0 to 60 in 4 sec
    1/4 miles times 11,1 sec
    top speed 170 mph