Lets clear some myths up...

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by venomGTR, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

One thing more: The exact spec of the RX-7 is not 1308cc.
    It is 654cc (x2). - That's because RX-7 uses a twin rotor engine.

2. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

the viper will probably always have it's V10-no matter what...the 2003 has an 8.3(almost everybody knows that by now...) but i heard they were thinking about bumping the displacement to 8.5 for 2004??? i'm not positive tho...

but back to my origional reason for posting...i just picked up the road and track mag, and they are now talking about a 2006 RX-7...and a new generation miata as well...i think they should definitely bring back the 7. they showed a "concept" picture, and it looks cool, but i prefer the body style of the 3rd generation rx-7. supposedly it'll have a turbocharger or supercharger, and power ranges between 260 and 325 horsepower. don't quote me on this one, i was checking earlier tonite all over the internet. i guess we'll just have to wait for the tokyo auto show or something like that....

3. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

not quite sure how i got that rx-7 pic on the bottom...hmmmm i'm really confused now...but did anybody hear anything else about the new gen. rx-7 or miata?? or am i just daydreaming again?

4. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

i really doubt the next rx-7, if there even is one will be artificially aspirated. the RENESIS had enough trouble passsing US emissions as is. and actually our US rx-8 is only 238 hp not 247 or 250 liek everybody seems to think. i guess mazda got some press stuff mixed up. and i really doubt there wil ever be a factory turbo option for an rx-8 and if there is it will probably put out like 275 horse with a very low boost. and somebody said earlier about supercharging the next rx-7, is thta even possible? maybe a centrifugial and not a roots type but im not even sure about this. and besides, a motor that can rev to ~9000 rpm needs a turbo not a S.C. thats a lot of belt strain at the red line on a S.C. that a dual ball bearing turbo could definitly handle

5. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

yeah, idk how they think it will be supercharged, that's what i read in road and track. i mean it doesn't come out till 2006, or so they say, so it's still early in it's prototype stages. the picture they did show of the "new" 7 was awesome tho...

6. #31 Alessandro, Oct 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Lets clear some myths up...

Tooltype, I think the Mazda Cosmos with 20B engine never was intended for another market than Japan, but where privately imported to Australia and some other countries.
    I saw some pic of a RX-8 with 20B engine on www.rotarynews.com
    and SevenStock6.

7. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

does n e body know the 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile

8. #33 Formula1Mclaren, Dec 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  9. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

The original Mazda rotary engines were made in 76 I believe. The main problem is the seals going bad in the engine early, a friend of mine bought one new and had to replace them after 30,000. Also, increased wear on the points of the rotor. Mazda uses an oil injector to help overcome this but it does burn a little bit of oil. Because of that I guess your not suppose to use synthetic in it? The motor also overlaps its intake and exhaust "cycles" (not really cycles) also causing the motor to be rather polluting. When the gas is ignited, it is not fully compressed causing the motor to not to be as efficient as a piston. Despite the drawbacks, it has fewer moving parts than a piston engine thus fewer mechanical problems are possible. The new Renesis engine overcomes some of the overlapping by placing the intake and exhaust valves in different positions. 0-60 in 5.9, a top speed of 150mph, and a 1/4 mile in 14.5 means it isn't a bad buy for being stock and under 200 horses. The 18 alloy rims, a 6-speed tranny and a base price of 26,680 gives me a really big hard on. Although the engine noise is a little concerning…..”huuum”(for those who don’t know about the old Mazda commercial) If I get one, I might just punch a few holes in the exhaust pipe and make myself a musical instrument. I think this would make a great car soon as I get out of college. I hope some one finds this helpful or at least amusing. Peace

10. Re: Lets clear some myths up...

Under 200hp? uhh....Engine nouse huuumm? uhhh...great you mean?