Lewis philosophical over Kimi crash

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by ajzahn, Jun 8, 2008.

1. There are three possible explanations for his reaction:

1)He crashed into Sutil just 15 days ago

2) He don't give a shit because he is leaving F1 next year

3) He don't give a shit in general

I think it's a 2-3 combination

2. Lewis philosophical about the crash even though it was his fault (which he still hasn't admitted). Good for him.

3. Him apologising to Kimi is an admission of guilt, but I still want him to say "I AM A RETARD AND I #$%#ED UP".

4. + Quote in the revised autobiography

5. Yeah, the whole headline seems wierd. Shouldn't it say "Kimi philosophical over crash"

6. Stefano Domenicali: "I am very very disappointed, but the spirit of the team is the same"

Maranello, 9 th June 2008 - Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali admitted to being "very very disappointed" after his two drivers came away with just four points from the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal on Sunday. Kimi Raikkonen was eliminated when he was hit from behind by Lewis Hamilton when stopped at the pit exit lights, and Felipe Massa salvaged fifth place in spite of an extra pit stop to refuel.

"Unfortunately traffic lights in Canada are not really our friends," said Domenicali. "Last year we had a problem, this year we've had a different kind of problem. It was also a shame for Felipe because he did a great race, and we had a problem with the refuelling system, a seal broke and no fuel was delivered so we had to call him straight back in and that spoiled a great race for him.

"So it's been a big disappointment because we have prepared for these two races in a great way. In spite of that, we took less points than last year. That was a disaster in terms of performance so we are very very disappointed."

He was, however, able to take some encouragement. "It is in these conditions when you really feel the need to react and be very strong because you see that we have all the elements that are ready for the fight. We know that our competitors are strong, no doubt, but the championship is long and we will see. We will fight until the end."

Hamilton was hit by a ten place penalty after his collision with Raikkonen, which Domenicali called "a fair decision. Honestly, I expected something. You cannot exclude him from points in the race because he didn't finish, so to be realistic, pragmatic, knowing the rules, yes, that's what I was expecting, so that will be part of the show in the next race."

The next few races are more conventional, so would this be more advantageous for Ferrari. "The near future for us is very clear," said Domenicali. "We need to go back to our standard in term of points. We need to work, be humble, we know that the others are pushing, BMW took a lot of points today, McLaren not too many, but they are strong, they will be there. We need to keep on working, no mistakes, reliability, we saw that we paid for a problem on the rig, and that's it, that's the way we have to tackle the next Grands Prix, not only France."

7. axel, PLEASE get some shots like that of the BMWs!

8. McLaren boss Ron Dennis has defended Lewis Hamilton after his calamitous pit lane accident in Canada.

The British ace had dominated the opening part of the Montreal race, only to crash out in the pit exit when he slammed into the back of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari, which was stopped at the red light while the safety car queue came past.

The stewards have handed Hamilton a ten place grid penalty for the French Grand Prix as a punishment for the incident.

While Dennis accepted that the penalty was justified, he said it had been a difficult situation for Hamilton - who had just dropped from first to third at his pit stop and was concentrating on Raikkonen and Robert Kubica racing side by side down the pit lane in front of him.

"No racing driver would deliberately put himself out of a grand prix, and the plain fact is that Lewis didn�t realise that the cars in front of him were coming to a halt until too late," he said. "It�s difficult for a driver to decide whether to focus on the lights or on the cars ahead in situations like that.
    Having said that, we accept the stewards� decision."

McLaren's CEO Martin Whitmarsh agreed with Dennis and said the team had "absolutely not" considered appealing against the stewards' verdict.

"We regard the stewards' decision as hard but fair," he said. "Hard in the sense that it clearly makes Lewis's task more difficult in Magny-Cours, but fair on the grounds that we have no argument with their contention that he did cause an avoidable accident.
    Sometimes severe consequences can be the results of split-second misjudgments.
    And, in this instance, we'll take the loss of a likely win and the 10-place grid penalty squarely on the chin."

He said the team was already considering how to amend its strategy in France to give Lewis the best chance of recovering from the penalty.

"Without giving too much away, I suspect he'll run a little bit longer in the first stint than would otherwise have been the case," Whitmarsh said. "We haven't modelled it yet, but intuitively that's what we'll probably do."

He also insisted that this year's McLaren would be on the pace in France - a track where Ferrari dominated last year, one that has seen five Ferrari victories in the last seven seasons, and where McLaren hasn't triumphed once, in 2000.

"At this point last year, the characteristics of our car meant Ferrari were kinder to the tyres in the race and had better high-speed corner performance than us," Whitmarsh said.

"This year, we've had better high-speed performance and we're going into two circuits - Magny-Cours and Silverstone - which should suit us." (ITV)

9. Interview with Martin Whitmarsh:

Q: Did you give Lewis a warning about the red light over the radio?

Whitmarsh: "Yes."

10. I still dont get why no one has brought up the fact that Hamilton swerved left into the back of Raikkonen's car. Looked very suspicious to me.

11. Come on he was trying to avoid both of them. And also the Ferrari was slightly further ahead giving more braking room on that side.

12. I still think if he was braking that hard it would have locked the fronts and gone straight on into Kubica.

13. He's not some fat whore driving on the public roads who will just jump on the brakes in a panic stop, you git. There was a gap to the left of Raikkonen and that is what he was aiming for. Poorly.

14. You sure about that? We've just seen what his dad has done in the last week, I'm starting to think its family tradition.

15. I think it is fortunate that Lewis hit Kimi before Rosberg came barrelling in. Imagine the #%[email protected] Lewis and the Brits would have done if Hamilton had have stopped in time and then Rosberg took him out.

16. RACIST

17. As a matter of fact it runs in the tradition of all living things of African heritage. Look at the way elephants will ram into trees... or hippopotamus' into small canoes with pasty white men in them.

18. #43 lambosam, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    LOLwis hamLOLton's crash...for those who haven't seen yet

19. Lewis Hamilton believes McLaren now has a fast enough package to take control of the 2008 title race - despite the double blow of his Montreal crash and Magny-Cours penalty.

The British driver lost the world championship lead when he ploughed into the back of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari in the pits in Canada, having dominated the weekend prior to his accident.

He has now been given a ten place grid penalty for France, an event where Ferrari has an extremely strong record and is the favourite for victory.

But amid suggestions that the title battle might now turn in Ferrari's favour, Hamilton said he was confident he could shrug off the mistake and penalty.

�Going forward the mood is strong,� he told a group of British newspaper journalists.

�With the car we have right now there is no stopping us."

Lewis insisted that the events of Canada will spur him on to do better in France, and that he won't waste any time dwelling on the incident.

"It is not going to take me a day to recover," he said. "I�ll be really looking forward to Magny-Cours.
    I start ten places back in the next race - it�s a bit harsh, really.
    I didn�t aim to ruin anyone�s race.
    But this makes me stronger.
    I can�t wait for France."

After Canada, Hamilton has fallen to joint second in the championship, four points behind new leader Robert Kubica. (ITV)

20. McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton believes the 10-place grid penalty he was given for crashing in the pits in Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix is too severe.

The Englishman will be moved back on the grid for the French Grand Prix on 22 June after running into the back of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari on Sunday.

"I start 10 places back in the next race. It's a bit harsh, I didn't aim to ruin anyone's race," Hamilton said.

He also condemned as "silly" the rule that led to the accident.

Raikkonen and the BMW Sauber of eventual winner Robert Kubica were stopped at a red light at the pit lane exit when Hamilton, who had noticed the light too late, slammed into the back of the Finn.

The light was on as part of F1's safety car rules.

It is used when the safety car and the F1 field lined up behind it are passing or are about to pass the pit lane exit.

The idea behind the rule is to avoid potential collisions between cars already on the track, and those rejoining.

Hamilton said: "The rule is silly. We are in the race, how can you red light at the end of the pit-lane? But that's the rule and I accept it."

McLaren managing director Martin Whitmarsh added that he felt the penalty was "quite severe".

But Whitmarsh also said that the team had specifically warned Hamilton that there may be a red light at the end of the pit lane, although he did not explicitly blame his driver for the crash.

"Frankly, we gave [the warning] to him, [but] we could have given it to him earlier," he told autosport.com. "There was quite a lot going on, obviously, as we were fuelling Lewis's car and that of his team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

When you come in first and come out third I'm sure you're anxious to see if you can jump past those people, and I'm sure that distracted him.

As Nico [Rosberg] proved seconds later [when he ran into the back of Hamilton's car], it was easy to do."

Hamilton, who lost the championship lead to Kubica as a result of the incident, has insisted he will bounce back as strong as ever in France.

"This will make no difference," he said, speaking to British newspapers.

"It hasn't knocked me confidence-wise. I'm not gutted or disappointed.

We are baffled how it came to that in the space of 30 seconds.

I had two guys in front of me and suddenly they have stopped as I have looked at the red light. But you can't win them all. This makes me stronger.

Going forward, the mood is strong. The fact is, we destroyed everyone [on pace].

With the car we have right now, there is no stopping us. It is not going to take me a day to recover or anything. I am really looking forward to Magny-Cours." (BBC)

21. I dunno, this fine?

22. Kimi Raikkonen: "A bitter disappointment"

Maranello, 11th June 2008 - It was a bitter disappointment we had at Montreal. I still can't believe it, that someone can hit you while you are standing at the red light next to another car. I can't imagine how Hamilton could not see the red lights and the two cars standing in front of him. I think that Hamilton deserved the penalty. He looses ten positions on the grid for the next race in France, which will make it more difficult for him at Magny-Cours.

Anyway we lost the possibility to have a good result in Canada. At the moment when the safety car came on the track, my car was running very fast: we could have won, or, in the worst case, become second. On Saturday we had some problems during Qualifying because of the breaking surface of the track. The same thing happened then at the beginning of the race. When the rear tyres were clean and the graining was gone and they started to work well, we were really fast: we drove the fastest race lap and we managed to do a great pitstop and we put the car in the front. I was ready to fight and overtake Kubica, once the lights were green. But I didn't have the time, as Hamilton crashed into my back and the race was over. I'm not angry. Just disappointed, surprised and frustrated at the same time. He knew that the lights were red. Accidents happen, but it's difficult not to see two cars stopped.

Seven races are done and the last two I didn't bring home any points. Nobody could foresee that. I'm not in a strong position anymore. But it's not the end of the world. We have not lost that much ground. I'm fourth in the Championships. Exactly where I was last year and just like last year there's still a long way to go. It was good for us that Kubica won. Congratulations to him and to the team! Honestly, it's better he got the 10 points than Hamilton. BMW has all the time been there this season and when something went wrong for us they benefited from that.

I came back from Montreal with a really good impression of the F2008 and I'm sure that we can win again very soon. Because now we go to circuits where we are usually very strong. You know that I don't like to look behind: I'm concentrated on the French GP, where I want to repeat last year's result, when we brought home a wonderful one-two win.

23. lol, true

24. F******K that's horrible! Kimi got screwed! I know Lewis didn't do it on purpose, but he should be docked (points) or at least fined!