Lexus goes power crazy

Discussion in 'Asian Forums' started by ajzahn, Mar 26, 2007.

1. #1 ajzahn, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Not content with challenging the luxury market with a range of hybrids, Lexus is set to join the supersaloon elite

26th March 2007
    The Japanese brand has already revealed its intentions with its V8-engined IS-F, which made its world debut at the Detroit Motor Show in January (Issue 944). This car, based on the IS compact executive model, appeared for the first time in Europe at the Geneva exhibition this month. Under the bonnet is a 5.0-litre engine delivering 400bhp, which makes the IS-F the most powerful roadgoing Lexus ever produced.

However, according to insiders, the brand's sporting challenge will not end there. Engineers are also working on a model that's being referred to internally as the IS-F Evo. This uses carbon fibre bodywork and a stripped-out interior to reduce the standard machine's kerbweight and offer even greater performance.

Set to be built alongside Lexus's forthcoming flagship supercar, the LF-A, the limited-edition machine has been inspired by the BMW M3 CSL. It's expected to arrive in showrooms here in 2009, although prices have yet to be confirmed.

With so much power and such a lightweight body, the new model is set to be capable of 0-60mph in less than 4.9 seconds, and will go on to a top speed electronically limited to 155mph.

>>> www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/207579/lexus_goes_power_crazy.html

2. remove the limiter..

3. According to C/D *I THINK* they tested the IS350 and got from 0-60 in 4.9s. This car is gonna rock that time. Wow Lexus is heading in a nice direction with the FSeries. Iz nice, I laike!

4. The IS-F makes me wet.

5. Lexus lol

6. I have driven one pretty extensively, 0-60 tests with traction on/off / /launch program on/off.. I don't think it is 4.9s car. It is fast though and performs very well. I was actually racing my friends other car, a 3.2cl type s w/ six speed. The cars were even 90-140mph on a slight downhill.

7. Does the IS-F / A have All wheel drive?

8. No, only rear wheel drive.

9. 400hp isn't crazy anymore. Welcome to the year 2000

10. I like that G35 looking thing.

11. Fact

12. 4.9 seems kinda slow for that much juice... The IS doesn't weigh like 12,000 pounds or anything right?

13. "Less than 4.9". Like someone else said, some magazines pulled similar times out of the 350. This will be significantly quicker.

And 400hp is still quite a bit of power for this type of production car. The 335i's TT powerplant only produces 300hp and the new M3 has 414hp.

14. srsly

15. Yea but usually when they do the "Less than" thing they put someting closer to what it'll actually do, ya know?

400HP is no slouch of an engine. It's just they're hailing it like it's groundbreaking, when in reality everybody has already broken the 400HP mark. I'm sure it'll be wicked... I just wish they'd done this with the old IS body!

16. lol @ 400 hp not being much

17. I'm sure they're just saying "less than" as that's what the 350 managed (though, not typical from what I can tell), so this will obviously be "less than" that. Were talking about a near 100hp/33% increase in horsepower while maintaining a similar weight (I assume) and having everything else more aggressive (trans, tires, suspension, etc). This should hit well under the 4.9s mark.

And 400hp is pretty unprecedented in a production Japanese sedan.

18. Well that is usually the case, but Lexus stated the IS350 to be less than 6 seconds 0-60, and now the fastest time has been 4.9, so we never know.

And remember Lexus has stated that the IS-F will be 0-60 under 4.9 and have more than 400hp

19. Boring.

20. Well just because Japanese sedans haven't had that much power doesn't mean it's a huge deal. They've simply been lagging behind everyone else. That'd be like saying it's groundbreaking that the new Caddys have nice interiors... No, it's not. They're just playing catch up.

But as I said 400HP is still quite a bit, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of even nowadays. Maybe it's just this one person who wrote this article is a twit or something. Perhaps he usually covers Honda cars and the 400HP number seems like 1200HP would to anyone else!

21. It is groundbreaking, considering that MB didn't break the 400hp barrier without having to resort to FI or ridiculous 6.3L engines. Even the NA 600s didn't break 400.

Obviously today, there are plenty of 400hp+ vehicles from a variety of luxury companies. But prior to this generation, as far as luxury vehicles are concerned, only BMW's E39 M5 even came close.

Also, I'd point out that groundbreaking is an appropriate term even just considering the fact that it is a performance-oriented Lexus. When these models all come to fruition, it'll signal a complete change in direction for the brand.

22. It is groundbreaking, considering that MB didn't break the 400hp barrier without having to resort to FI or ridiculous 6.3L engines. Even the NA 600s didn't break 400.

Obviously today, there are plenty of 400hp+ vehicles from a variety of luxury companies. But prior to this generation, as far as luxury vehicles are concerned, only BMW's E39 M5 even came close.

Also, I'd point out that groundbreaking is an appropriate term even just considering the fact that it is a performance-oriented Lexus. When these models all come to fruition, it'll signal a complete change in direction for the brand.