lol..."Rival the McLaren F1"

Discussion in '1999 Mercedes-Benz Vision SLR' started by LanciaDeltaIntegraleS4, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Who are they kiding? This is a great car, for a Mercedes, but this thing couldn't hang with a GT2, let alone an F1. I'm sure it has impressive performance, but to build a truly great machine, you need a truly innovative engineer leading a team of skilled professionals. That's what Gordan Murray had when designing the F1, and this joint partnership doesn't stand a chance despite its resources.

2. Re: lol...

I'm willing to bet that partnership stands a chance at making a car that will outperform the Mclaren, considering McLaren itself is part of the partnership, and the fact that this partnership is 3rd in F1 racing points might help a little. Besides, McLaren is doing a tuned version of this car with a full carbon fiber body and so on.

3. Re: lol...

yeah but do you think this car will be close to the F1? It doesnt "look" like it will, and the figures sugest it wont.

Will be interesting to see if they come close though.

4. Re: lol...

Um, sorry to dissapoint u guys but its not the same McLaren. THe McLaren thats helping with this car is just a tunning company they have also just recently tunned a Lincoln LS. But its not the same company that makes the F1

5. #5 Buster Hymen, Aug 13, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: lol...

"Mclaren Cars Ltd." is exactly the same company that built the Mclaren F1. In fact, Gordon Murray the man who designed the F1 helped design this car. Check out Mclaren Cars Ltd's official website at http://www.mclarencars.com

6. Re: lol...

You want a job working on the SLR project? :

Production Technicians

Vacancies exist for a number of experienced automotive/aeronautical assembly technicians or qualified automotive service technicians who wish to join McLaren Cars at the start of the formation of the production team for the Mercedes SLR project.

It is envisaged that these initial members will play key roles within the production team from building of prototypes to introducing the project into the all new Paragon facility.

This team will be expected to become the core group that will take the SLR project into full production.

Normal Group benefits apply.

If you believe that you have the qualities/skills required to bring this project into production then please send your C.V. including salary details to:

E-Mail: jobs@mclarencars.com
    McLaren Cars Ltd
    Unit 13, Woking Business Park
    Albert Drive
    Surrey
    GU21 5JY

Strictly no Agencies

7. Re: lol...

mclaren not even close about40mph off defintley a rival jackass

8. Re: lol...

9. Re: lol...

10. Re: lol...

i dont think it could come close to competing withthe mclaren

11. Re: lol...

no kidding this couldn't run with the mclaren.

who wrote a rival to the mclaren

12. Re: lol...

If you actually read the article about the car, you will see that it states that this car is a project to rival the Mclaren F1. Not in those exact words, but it still sez that.

JUST READ THE FUCKING THING!

13. Re: lol...

I seriously can not see this car as a rival for the McLaren F1. This car does not have the look of a true supercar - I personally think it is unfortunate that the McLaren F1 even got mentioned in this write up - the SLR will never be in the same league (except maybe for price).

14. Re: lol...

Pleaaaase!!!!!

If they wanted to build a mclaren beater they should've started by putting a mid mounted engine in it.

15. Re: lol...

Pleaaaase!!!!!

If they wanted to build a mclaren beater they should've started by putting a mid mounted engine in it.

16. Re: lol...

ooooook, so you are saying that it couldnt beat the Mclaren based soley on the fact that its front engined? sorry little kid, there is this thing we have, its called learning, and you could learn that front engined cars have the same ability to handle well as a mid engined car could, all you need is the right stuff and you could build a front engined car that could murder the Mclaren F1 in every performance category

17. Re: lol...

Mclaren F1 is going to be overthrown, its just a matter of time.

This car does have a good chance, considering Brabus alone is putting out 200mph sedans. :p

18. Re: lol...

no such thing as little kid, im based in a little fact called weight distribution... ever heard of it??

19. Re: lol...

Weight distribution can be pretty good with a front engine. The new Maserati gets almost perfect weight distribution with a front engine because the tranny is mounted in the back.

20. Re: lol...

BMWs have front engines and RWD, and they have 50:50 weight distribution. For that matter, so does the freakin' Lincoln LS. If you want a rear weight bias, it's harder with front-engined layouts, but far from impossible. Put the passengers, fuel, tranny, and most of the cabin rear of the center of mass and you've got a pretty good start. Then you can mount the engine front-amidships.

21. Re: lol...

Then most of the fastest car makers must be wrong by putting mid mounted engines, im not an engineer myself (yet)... but that sounds like the most efficient configuration to me.

22. Re: lol...

who said that mid engine cars arent good? its also not the most efficient layout, its just good for 2 seater high output cars. Its basically a total pain in the ass if you want things like space or more seats. Anyone who thinks front engine mounting is detramental to performance or handleing is a #$%#ing retard. The rest of the car is also a major factor in both of those things.

23. Re: lol...

Nobody said front engine cars were lousy, and you said it yourself mid engine layout is more efficient for high performance cars, all I said in the beggining was that if Mercedes wanted to create a McLaren beater out of the SLR they should have started by using a mid mounted engine. That's all.

24. Re: lol...

yes I said that but I didn't say front engine was worse. that was my whole point. If the car is done right you would have almost no advantage over front engine mounting. But with front engine you would have much more flexibity with placment of other parts of the car.

25. Re: lol...

In fact, the Merrcedes Vision SLR is a "mid engine" vehicle, as the engine is placed between the 2 axles of the car.