LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

Discussion in '2001 Mazda MX-5 MPS Concept' started by z28infront, Aug 9, 2002.

1. This car needs 300 horsepower!!!

2. a note worthy car

it is "so slow" because it is disigned for driving in every day life.
    not everyone can go to the race track every weekend and drive at 150+mph. and for those who can't a miata is a perfect car, light inexpensive, nimble, and fun to drive. not every car needs 300+bhp

3. Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from z28infront</i>
    <b>This car needs 300 horsepower!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Now wouldn't that be fun!

Scott.<!-- Signature -->

4. #4 4agze, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

This car needs 300HP like i need a hole in the side of my head.
    Thats like saying...hmmm, a Z06 is okay, but it really needs 600HP. Or, the McLaren F1 is okay, its just needs 800HP. Or that new Buggatti is okay....but it really needs 1600HP.

The Miatas practical limit of HP and torque should be 200HP and 200lb ft of torque. Now, i have worked with many miatas, turbod, and SCed....and several of the turbo cars put out quite a bit more than 200HP. However, after about the 200HP, the chassis is not as effective. There is some flex around a road coarse with this amount og power. The suspension geometry would need to be reworked, as 200HP often tends to make these suckers oversteer far more than they need to. They would have to stiffen up the structure. It is a very stiff strudture for a car with 145Hp-200HP, but beyond that point its questionable.
    I would personally prefer for Mazda to offer a 1.8 Liter Supercharged miata, running a modest 6-8psi of boost. In my experience, this has tended to be the most satisfying. It wouldnt be peaky like this engine. Supercharged miatas have instant responce, and tons of torque. It just plain feels like a much bigger engine. Making 180HP and 180lb ft of torque would be enough to make any true performance enthusiast smile in the miata. It would certainly be able to pull mid 14s in the quarter mile, and still be a splendid car to drive around.
    The miata is without a doubt in my mind one of the greatest sports cars ever made, and if they offered a supercharged versain, i would be in heaven.

For all the displacement junkies, here the V6 concept ford did(Ford owns mazda)
    http://miata.net/news/v6.html
    Its the Duratec 3.0L V6, and makes over 200HP and 200lb ft of torque. I dont like it. It makes the miata heavy, its too much power and weight for the miata structure. But hey, its just a concept.

5. Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

This is f*ucking shit my dads 86 mazda 626 could beat this #$%#in sucks it only has 199.9bhp what were they smoking when they designed this car? ha!

6. #6 LanciaDeltaIntegraleS4, Aug 9, 2002

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 4agze</i>
    <b>This car needs 300HP like i need a hole in the side of my head.
    Thats like saying...hmmm, a Z06 is okay, but it really needs 600HP. Or, the McLaren F1 is okay, its just needs 800HP. Or that new Buggatti is okay....but it really needs 1600HP.

The Miatas practical limit of HP and torque should be 200HP and 200lb ft of torque. Now, i have worked with many miatas, turbod, and SCed....and several of the turbo cars put out quite a bit more than 200HP. However, after about the 200HP, the chassis is not as effective. There is some flex around a road coarse with this amount og power. The suspension geometry would need to be reworked, as 200HP often tends to make these suckers oversteer far more than they need to. They would have to stiffen up the structure. It is a very stiff strudture for a car with 145Hp-200HP, but beyond that point its questionable.
    I would personally prefer for Mazda to offer a 1.8 Liter Supercharged miata, running a modest 6-8psi of boost. In my experience, this has tended to be the most satisfying. It wouldnt be peaky like this engine. Supercharged miatas have instant responce, and tons of torque. It just plain feels like a much bigger engine. Making 180HP and 180lb ft of torque would be enough to make any true performance enthusiast smile in the miata. It would certainly be able to pull mid 14s in the quarter mile, and still be a splendid car to drive around.
    The miata is without a doubt in my mind one of the greatest sports cars ever made, and if they offered a supercharged versain, i would be in heaven.

For all the displacement junkies, here the V6 concept ford did(Ford owns mazda)
    http://miata.net/news/v6.html
    Its the Duratec 3.0L V6, and makes over 200HP and 200lb ft of torque. I dont like it. It makes the miata heavy, its too much power and weight for the miata structure. But hey, its just a concept.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hey! Someone here knows something. One of the advantages to the lack of power in the Miata is that you can use the chassis to a greater extent to turn the car. The chassis of the Miata is one of its greatest aspects, so overpowering it would be like putting a marathon wheelchair racer in a power chair. You'd powerslide through corners, an act that relies much more on suspension than it does on chassis. The power balance is very important in cars like this (that's why the Elise doesn't have even 200hp) so I think this car is about as good as you can make a Miata.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

theres a company in australia which churns out converted Mx5s with the 4.0 supercharged lexas V8 tuned out to 320kw it moves...

8. Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

This car can get away with barely 200hp because of its size and weight. But how much more fun would it be with just 50 more ponys, and maybe some torque. And I dont know why you would assume that if this car had 300hp it would not be able to be drivin in every day life. What are you talking about?

9. #9 mpolans, Aug 9, 2002

Based on the fact that he says he's worked on turbo Miatas with 200+ hp, I'm guessing he's experienced one first hand that has close to 300hp (or more! Highest I've heard of is pushing 400hp!). Even with the FMII kit from www.flyinmiata.com, I'm sure tuning it to the 300+hp level can be a royal pain in the butt, if for no other reason (chassis flex, etc.)

I've tried the Greddy Turbo on my 93, it was okay...probably about 135hp at the wheels. I'd like to try a supercharger w/ TECII ignition at about 200hp though.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from whiteGT</i>
    <b>This car can get away with barely 200hp because of its size and weight. But how much more fun would it be with just 50 more ponys, and maybe some torque. And I dont know why you would assume that if this car had 300hp it would not be able to be drivin in every day life. What are you talking about? </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

10. Re: LOOKS GOOD, WHY IS IT SO SLOW???

Because it is a stupid little Mazda!!!!!