making 100hp/litre in 1962

Discussion in '1962 Ferrari 250 GTO' started by HemiHead, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Naturally aspirated, 102bhp/litre in 1962. And that is break horsepower, much more powerful than the modern method of rating horse power. All of those japanese car companies who are so pleased with themselves, making 100 regular hosepower per litre can kiss ferraris ass, there were doing it 40 years before honda, toyota, nissan or any of those disgusting econocar manufacturers. Keep telling yourselves that you have the most advanced engines in the world japan, its a lie.

2. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

I have to agree with you. I like Honda, Nissan etc., but it just proves how far Ferrari was ahead of its time. The japs also need turbos to get the 100hp/litre. An 8500rpm redline is also pretty impressive.

3. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

it's not so hard to get 100 hp per liter in those days, it's all about the fuels they used, the octan-level of petrol in those days was about 102 to a 105, modern day it's about 95 up to 98 unleaded, the copressionratio of the ferrari is really high, not to mention how mush fuel it uses compared to a honda s2000 f.i.i'm not sayin this to diss the car, it's just an explanation, come on. everybody knows todays engines are far more efficient than engines of those days.

4. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

Honda S2000 reaches 100hp/l ratio only for a short period of time and the actual power is much lower. The old Ferraris could maintain the maximum power level for a long time. Why do you think they are so well known? Because they had always combined power with reliability.

As Enzo Ferrari said: aerodinamics are for people who don't know to make engines.

5. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HemiHead</i>
    <b>Naturally aspirated, 102bhp/litre in 1962. And that is break horsepower, much more powerful than the modern method of rating horse power. All of those japanese car companies who are so pleased with themselves, making 100 regular hosepower per litre can kiss ferraris ass, there were doing it 40 years before honda, toyota, nissan or any of those disgusting econocar manufacturers. Keep telling yourselves that you have the most advanced engines in the world japan, its a lie.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Ferrari rulz!!!<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

not honda engines. they get 100hp/ liter w/o turbos
    the Lancer Evolution gets 140hp/liter with a turbo tho =)
    but gotta agree with you. ferrari was far ahead of its time.

7. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

Thanks for saying that, really, about the gas, that actually provs to me that someone on this forum really knows something about cars. Anyway, this car is freakin sweet. Not to take anything away from it, but hp/liter doesn't really say a whole lot, except for that they made quite the effort to squeeze out as much power as possible. On the other side of things, the most efficient an engine can be is only 20%. From various metal surfaces scraping, friction, and what not. Race fuel today is 100 octane, so that car would still probably make like 300hp, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Great job Ferrari.

8. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

Good call on the fuels being utilized at the time. I do have to agree that this is a great example of Ferraris engineering brilliance. This is, without a doubt the Ferrari I would most like to own....anyone gotta a few million I can borrow?!?!

9. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

No, both the Honda and GTO make 100bhp/l at a specific rpm, do you think the GTO makes 300bhp over all it's rpm range? if you do, maybe you should take a course in Physics.

10. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

thats really good for a car of 1962

11. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

94 mustang, 43hp/liter, 30 years later. Yes, ferrari was very much ahead of its time, even though this was a V12. Its different if its a V6 or a V12, even tho its only 3 liters.

12. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

yes an efficent engine for the time

13. Re:

You sir are an idiot,toyota,Honda and Nissan don't just make econo cars
    they make badass sportscars as well.And look at the Honda S2000 for example 240bhp from a 2.0L N/A inline 4.Lemme see your precious Chevy
    do that or Hemi,lol.You talk about "disgusting" look at chevy,hemi or any of those disgusting muscle car crap.

I love Ferrari but I can't stand halfwits that dis Japanese cars.

14. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

A fantastic engine!!!!!

Sounds great too

15. Re: making 100hp/litre in 1962

Speak the truth! You are so right! But, the cost of owning such an advanced car was also advanced: 10 million pounds back in 1989.

17. This Ferrari is not entirely ahead of its time. A live rear axle? Also, Enzo only sneaked the GTO past the FIA regulations of 100 road cars being produced by passing it off as "technically a modification of the 250 gt swb".