Mazda MX-5 Miata vs Fiat 124 Spider

Discussion in 'Car Comparisons' started by WhiteChocolateWorld, May 1, 2016.

?

Mazda or Fiat?

1. Mazda MX-5 Miata

2. Fiat 124 Spider

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. #1 WhiteChocolateWorld, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Which topless chassis-sharing two-seater would you rather own?

Beyond the body panels, the last real great difference between the two is the power plant. Mazda uses it's SKYACTIV-G 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT that redlines at 6,800 rpm, while Fiat has a 1.4L MultiAir Turbo 4-cylinder that will hit its limiter at 6,250. The Fiat is 5.5 inches longer front to back, while being just a tad wider and with a lower roof-line than the Mazda. Both come with 6-speed manuals.

Mazda MX-5 Miata-----------Fiat 124 Spyder
    155-----------HP-----------160
    148---------LB-FT---------184​
    2332(1058)-----LB/KG---2436(1105)
    $25,750---------MSRP------$25,990​
    mazda2.jpg mazda3.jpg mazda.jpg

2. #2 WhiteChocolateWorld, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Kind of did this for a few reasons. To see which car people prefer, and also as a trial of the formatting process with the new layout. There might be an easier way to position the output figures I laid out... any ideas? AKA not having to use hyphens to space things out. Can we use HTML? Might be some easy code to paste in the future? Not too bad though. Anyways, vote!

I feel like I'm in the minority in preferring the Mazda's styling over the Fiat. The 124 just seems already dated. Like it belongs with the last gen NC Miata.

EDIT: just got on Mobile and the layout looks like shit. At least on my phone. Sorry dudes

3. Fiat looks nice and more torque to boot. I wonder if it makes up for the extra 100 lbs.

4. Looking at them side by side, I think I actually prefer the Fiat.

TrueSportsCarMechanic likes this.
  5. Mazda for sure. The 124 is just a shitty knock off.

6. Mx-5 is sexier.. it's the first miata that I actually like the styling of. Kind of a mini ferrari look to it.

7. Actually, Miata rear with Fiat front would be excellent.

8. #8 DIGGS, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    I like the fiat front. I just like the miata better. The thin headlights look good. Like angry eyes. The whole car looks kind of pissed off. The way the miata should have always looked

I look at it and get a cat humped a snake and the baby came out a little grumpy feel from the miata. And the fiat came out the same but with down syndrome.

9. The Mazda is probably the reasonable purchase. It'll be more reliable and should keep its value better for the shorter term.

10. the fiat every time

11. I'm a fanboi

12. one is a piece of absolute reliability, the other is a piece of passion but absolute unreliability, so my vote goes for the miata

13. The silver window frame and rollbar things behind the seats of the Fiat throw me off so much in a negative sense that I'd go for the Mazda based on looks alone. They really make the Fiat look like a small Crossfire and I don't like this particular example whatsoever. But then again, these retro versions (rally and black bonnet) are amazing to look at... so the 124 after all :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Yeah it looks like a Chrysler. Too American looking. Bwuhhh

15. The black bonnet make me think Viper :confused:

16. It looks like an original Fiat 124, with no American in it whatsoever. Maybe you might want to look into lasik...

For me, Fiat all the way. Mazda chassis with Fiat sound and a turbo engine that should be good for a bit more power. I've seen the Miata in the flesh and it looks frumpy and bulbous.

[​IMG]

TrueSportsCarMechanic likes this.
  17. I think we were on about the pics in the OP, which looks American to me too with these silver accents and looking higher on its wheels than it should be (imho). Then again, so was the original US-124.

18. The rear of the 124 looks a bit like the rear of an NB MX5

19. I like the side profile of the Fiat, like the Miata better for everything else.