Melted buildings look better on Retina Display

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 84FordMan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Just like emailing by opening your browser and going to gmail.com works the same as using the app, in that technically it does work, but it's nowhere near as user-friendly.

2. thats kind of the point it got better from obtaining data from a variety of sources , no they did not use people they used cars. imagine in conjunction with cars driving the street you got data from every person with an iphone, as well as the technology & data they have received with c3 , TomTom and Waze, and other organizations such as government, its going to grow at a rapid rate.

To suggest apple is not capable of accomplish a similar service as google is laughable considering they have the cash on hand to buy google outright.

3. Cracke like a mofo

And I'm aware I can still access maps through the browser, but I shouldn't have to do that. Hopefully the app comes through

4. Cracked???
    Shocking

5. Apple maps isn't horrible, but I still like Google maps more.

6. don't really see the problem here, if tomorrow play store removes the facebook app from the store i would see it by browser and couldnt care less

7. lol, no idea what any of you are talking about

8. Lol fb via browser is so horrid

9. Ugh up till like a month ago the FB app was a Web through app . And sluggish as hell so browsing it on safari was basiaccly the same

10. Ugh up till like a month ago the FB app was a Web through app . And sluggish as hell so browsing it on safari was basiaccly the same

11. Apple has about 28 billion in cash. Google's market cap is 240 billion. So no.

12. well your comparing market cap to spare cash ...

apple has a market cap of like 619 billion , and spare cash in excess of 110 billion ... they only need 51 % stake too ... so yes they could (theoretically , not realistically as the government would step in)

13. I compared the two numbers you did- cash and total company value. Where are you getting cash of 110 billion? Their latest quarterly report shows cash and short term investments of 27.654 billion.

And you said buy outright, not majority stake.

And Apple has a market cap of 656 billion.

14. #64 c7015, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  15. I'm sure you posted a reasonable response, but I can't see it because SC.net is awesome like that.

16. Sc.net finance experts in the house

Sell your 401k and prepare for top-of-the-class advices.

17. GOLD GOLD GOLD

18. ya , I think we can all agree apple has enough cash to solve its small map problem ... besides if google is getting add revenue from its maps service and 65% of mobile traffic come from iphone (more if you figure the ipad) guess what you want to make an app for ...

19. OHHHH YEAH

20. #70 add lightness, Sep 23, 2012
    Ah, got it. They're including long-term marketable securities, which is reasonable in this case.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/krantz/2011-08-09-apple-cash_n.htm

21. #71 Aaron, Sep 23, 2012
  22. The data they would get from passive roaming by people using the maps service would be rather useless for the size and complexity of the data set. What would it be able to tell Apple that other sources can't?

I'm not saying that they won't improve the maps the old fashioned way, I'm just saying that the "cloud" excuse is a bit of BS they used, because it's an easier pill to swallow then "we're working on it, be patient."

I have no doubt that Apple's maps will drastically improve at a quick rate as they work to fix the problem. However, catching up to Google will be hard, because they will also be constantly improving their product, and have more expertise and resources at hand.

23. i dont understand why they dont just use the google thing
    why reinvent the map

24. bad breakup

25. Maybe they were bitter google wasnt giving them turn by turn navigation? Google maps for the iphone has been largely unchanged since 2007. While android's map app has seen a ton of refinement and had turn-by-turn since it's onset.