Mid engine C8 Corvette update.

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by DIGGS, May 15, 2016.

1. It’s time for an updated report on the mid-engine C8 Corvette, and here’s the game plan as we understand it from our impeccable source: The 2019 Chevrolet Corvette (code name: ZERV, perhaps chosen as an homage to Zora Arkus-Duntov’s 1960s mid-engine CERV concepts) will bow in production form at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2018 with a version of today’s pushrod V-8 engine delivering 450 to 500 horsepower. Expect a base price of approximately $80,000.

When volume production begins, presumably later in ’18, today’s C7 Corvette will expire, although there should be remaining stock for those who prefer the traditional powertrain layout used for more than six decades. The C7’s final hurrah will occur at next year’s 2017 NAIAS, when a swan-song mega-power edition debuts, possibly wearing the illustrious ZR1 badge.

A notable power upgrade to the C8 will occur in January 2019, attributable to a new four-cam, 32-valve V-8 set to be presented at NAIAS. That C8 surely will top $100,000. To continue building momentum, Chevy hopes to show, in 2020, a hybrid E-Ray Corvette—a term GM has trademarked—with electric front-wheel propulsion. C8 Corvettes may wear ZORA identification of some sort (such as ZoRa1) to pay homage to Zora Arkus-Duntov, the car’s spiritual godfather and mid-engine advocate from 1955 to 1975.

Experimental C8s currently reside in Building 54 (a.k.a. Area 54) at GM’s Milford, Michigan, proving ground. Since we nabbed aerial photos of one test mule two years ago, prototypes seldom leave the building during daylight hours. GM owns two Ferrari 458 Italias for benchmarking, and the company once had a McLaren in its benchmark fleet. Also owned by the General: a Nissan GT-R, two Porsche 911 Turbos, and a BMW i8, any of which may be being used to aid in C8 development. 2017-Chevrolet-Corvette-artist-s-rendering-265-626x382.jpg

tubitus likes this.
  2. Looks like it's going to be a full replacement. Not just a higher perdormance version of the corvette as once thought.

3. Even though the Corvette has deserved more recognition globally for a while, I think this will be the biggest turning point in the history of the model. Not just in performance but in its perception among European buyers.

As good as a McLaren 570S? I guess that would be their target.

4. I would bet the base model performance will be similar to the current C7 lineup. With the main difference being the performance advantages of switching to mid engine.
    Then much higher performance versions available later.
    The current z06 out performs the 570s so I'd say it's a safe performance benchmark for at least one of the future corvette models.

5. I wish them good luck with the C8 even if the C7 isn't my cup of tea in terms of design. If the chassis and the whole drivetrain are well engineered it shoudln't be a problem for the c8 to be a stellar performer.

6. Man, Corvette fans were pissed about the tail lights. Imagine when they see this.
    I'm not sure I like this idea. The whole point of the Vette was beating other cars down and not costing near as much. Trying to edge in on the mid engine sector may not play out so well, especially if costs will increase. The whole it being rear-mid engine making it perform better is kind of played out. The Ferrari F12, GTR, BMW M,LFA and Viper may disagree. Honestly I think they should sell them side by side. Even if GM has to suck it up and let the mid engine be more powerful to command more money. Hell, bring back the Cien.

7. The higher performance camaro variants will fill the gap. This will also open the door to another sporty car in the Chevrolet lineup. To either slot between the vette and camaro or below the Camaro.
    At this point in time the zl1 and z28 were starting to canabalize on base model vette sales. So furthering the gap between the Camaro and vette can only be a positive thing. And if they can stick with the 80k price point it's still going to be a bargain compared to its direct competitors.

8. Except the Camaro was supposed to be the poorer man's Corvette.
    The ZL1 and Z28 were probably cutting into sales due to collectors. I doubt they get close to as many miles put on them as a base C7.

9. No they probably sit parked. But in places like canada where a Zl1 goes for about 60 and the base vette is almost 80k. And very similar performance. The ZL1 has been selling like crazy. People save themselves some cash and get sort of rear seats. And cheaper financing rates.
    But you still see both cars on every other street corner. So the Vette becoming a more exclusive car is also a good thing

10. "if they design and build a good car, it will be good"

Genius!

11. #11 ETB4U, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    This reminded me of an older article I read about speculation that GM may spin off Corvette as it's own brand. Granted they said that wasn't the case, but perhaps they're revisiting that idea.
    http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...-chevrolet-called-sheer-rumor-and-speculation

They mention the need for a halo car, but I don't believe halo cars are as important as some make it to be. How many people that buy Buick Enclaves and Chevy Malibus care about the Corvette? How many people that buy a VW Jetta care about a Phaeton?

12. This is true.

Halo cars seems to only have an effect on people who seeks affordable performance. Someone who's looking for a hot hatch might be tempted to buy a Golf GTI for its performance if the are aware of the Veyron.

But I doubt the existence of halo car like Lexus LFA will have any influence on the mindset of people who buy slow hybrids like Prius.

13. #13 ETB4U, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    I dont think the existence of the Veyron makes any influence on GTI buyers.
    I'd say most buyers are influenced by the every day cars they're exposed to.
    Sure I think the Nissan GTR is awesome, but I won't buy an Altima over an Impala.

14. This thread helped me a lot. Thank you so much for sharing.

ETB4U likes this.
  15. Mid engine Suck to work on. : /

ETB4U likes this.
  16. but the performance benefits of having the engine in the middle can't be denied.

17. GM has a rich history of mid engine high performance cars. So they are going to use their tried and tested methods. This cars has a lot of history to live up to. images (3).jpg

ETB4U likes this.
  18. Also, earlier mid engine Corvettes didn't sell well.
    [​IMG]

19. Production ready mid engine Vette photo has been leaked.

1986-Concept-Car-Chevrolet-Corvette-Indy-74740.jpg

20. And in Blue page58_1.jpg

ETB4U likes this.
  21. Wait...... those rims sure look dated.

22. Those rims are hot.

23. I have a book with some info about the history of the corvette (up to the C4). Had it since I was really young - an uncle of mine used to be into american cars. He had a C3 Stingray and a couple of Lincolns etc and he gave me the book. Based on looks alone that car was the ULTIMATE for me, back then.

24. The C3? Or the CERV 3?

Both are pretty amazing looking cars. The CERV 3 and the Pontiac Banshee were my favorites based on looks alone.
    1988-pontiac-banshee-concept-car-1.jpg
    Now looking at it I think the Banshee was quite hideous.
    But I think I just have a thing for that long sleek look. The CERV I still think looks hot. And the XJ220 is also one of the sexist cars ever built IMO

ETB4U likes this.
  25. The Stingray was pretty damn cool to a 4-year-old, but the the red '86 Corvette Indy concept is the one from the book that was just like "HOLY SHIT" to me. Check out the interior! It's almost Citroen-like in its lunacy.

[​IMG]

AFAIK the blue car in your other post is the CERV, and the red car is the Indy concept. The CERV was an evolution of the Indy