Mini- Skyline

Discussion in '2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R V Spec' started by Siahsan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Let's not forget that many skylines's are four-doors and those will rock your socks off not to mention the socks of the fool who tries to race one. What other company has anything close to a 175 HP four banger for this low a price. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Mini- Skyline

Actually the 180hp rating is a fluke. The engine when tested by Sport Compact Car could only muster 141 on a dyno. There's no way the powertrain could leak 40 horses. Nissan tucked it's tail between its legs and lowered the advertised horsepower to 175, but that's still nowhere near what it actually produces. Wonder if this means that the actual performance is sub-par?<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Mini- Skyline

i wouldn't call it a mini skyline, nothing can compare to a skyline, but this is a veyr nice car!<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Mini- Skyline

shut up<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Mini- Skyline

Mini-Skyline??? Pardon me, but the skyline has a lot more ponies than this little baby. Not to mention the fact that it weighs in at easily 1500 pounds heavier. Not that I am complainging about the SE-R, it is actually a nice car, they are just not comparable. As to SCC's rating of it. They saw the car before it was finished. They viewed the prototype, which was created previous to nissan's changing of the cat, exhaust and header size/type...

6. Re: Mini- Skyline

Calling this thing a mini skyline is like calling a dodge neon a "baby viper". <!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Mini- Skyline

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Shizane2002</i>
    <b>Calling this thing a mini skyline is like calling a dodge neon a "baby viper". </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

ASSHOLE!!
    LOOK UP THE MEANING OF MINI...

AND IT IS A MINI SKYLINE
    IT HAS THE SAME TYPE SUSPENSION
    AND THE INSIDE IS THE SAME WHY YOU THINK THEY CALL IT SPEC V?

AFTER THE SKYLINE GTR V SPEC.
    <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Mini- Skyline

this may not be able to beat a skyline, but i think its better looking- inside and out-, but i would make some special modifications, like a better spoiler.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Mini- Skyline

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from steveS</i>
    <b>Actually the 180hp rating is a fluke. The engine when tested by Sport Compact Car could only muster 141 on a dyno. There's no way the powertrain could leak 40 horses. Nissan tucked it's tail between its legs and lowered the advertised horsepower to 175, but that's still nowhere near what it actually produces. Wonder if this means that the actual performance is sub-par?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

40hp loss in the driveline isn't bad, most ratings are done at the flywheel... when on most dyno's it is tested at the wheels which means horses are going to be lost from the flywheel on its way to the wheels.. 140hp at the wheels is damn good, but if you want to continue complaining about the 40hp you lost in the drivetrain, imagine how much it must suck to have a honda civic ex with 135hp and lose 40hp.. that leaves you with 95hp at the wheels..<!-- Signature -->

10. #10 SHOboy, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Mini- Skyline

this may not be able to beat a skyline, but i think its better looking- inside and out-, but i would make some special modifications, like a better spoiler

Well yeah umm....I have a Spec V and even if I didn't the whole may not be able to beat a Skyline....This car will definatly lose to a SKYLINE! its a given. AWD, Twin Turbo V6, 400+ hp vs. FWD, N/A 2.5 Inline 4, 175 hp. There's a race for ya! The only thing the Spec V has going for it is thats it lighter but also for calling it a mini-skyline....Yes the Spec V has a special unique front fascia which Nissan calls, "Skyline like front fascia" meaning its not identical but trying to make it a baby sister car for the Skyline. But as for a better spoiler....so far nobody has had a aftermarket spoiler on a Spec V thats looks half way decent, the nicest looking one I have seen so far is the NISMO one they made up for it. If you would like more information on the Nissan car's *everything from the hardbodies to Skylines, to Spec V's, etc.* then visit www.freshalloy.com and they have updated news and information on Nissan. The forums area is a great way to get information on your specfic questions or information on the Spec V. They also have a link on there for a company modifying a Spec V. So far it has custom interior, body kit, K&N CAI, NOS, Supercharger, and all sorts of other goodies. So check it out

11. Re: Mini- Skyline

mini skyline? don't make me laugh. this wannabe here can't be compared to a skyline. it doesn't even deserve the spec-v badging. that's an insult to the skyline. and to think they originally wanted to give it the v-spec label. same thing goes for the mitsu "lancer." that thing is a disgrace and an insult to the lancer name.

12. Re: Mini- Skyline

Did you know in independent test the Sentra 2.0 actually tested faster in 0-60 and 1/4 than the SE-R? I'm not saying thats bad but with a claimed 175hp I'd expect better performance than 7sec. But than again the suspension on this thing is well built so after market mods for this will be extreamly helpful. ie turbo, cams, intake... etc.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Mini- Skyline

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TheEnthusiast</i>
    <b>mini skyline? don't make me laugh. this wannabe here can't be compared to a skyline. it doesn't even deserve the spec-v badging. that's an insult to the skyline. and to think they originally wanted to give it the v-spec label. same thing goes for the mitsu "lancer." that thing is a disgrace and an insult to the lancer name.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Dude thats why they have different models of each car. Go out and find a 2nd generation non turbo Skyline and the Sentra Spec V will romp on it. They have the Spec V badging on it for the same reason why Civic's have the VTEC badging on them. It mostly for marketing and sales. But at the same time they do throw some balls on this car. Nobody expects a Sentra to be that fast. This is just for the SE-R enthusuiats *spelling?* for for somebody to bash on this car is just wrong. It is supposed to be a pocket rocket and by no means to be able to destroy Mustang's *besides the V6 ones*, Vettes, etc. This is a Inline 4 cylinder. I mean not all cars have to be sports cars. Because not all people can afford the performance. Example's include the Mitsubishi Lancer, thats car is by no means supposed to be "fast" it is a simple econo car to get you from point a to point b. Then they have the high performance model the Evo's. Then there's the Subaru WRX's, yest the WRX's are fast but not compared to its high performance version of the WRX STi, then the old Toyota Supra's, there were two models, turbo & non-turbo. The non-turbo'd ones are not fast while their high performance versions are twin turbo's which are a lot faster. Then there's the Mustang's they have a V6 version then there's the GT with a V8 then there is the SVT which is the high performance version then a step abpve that is the Saleen Mustang. They even have one for the Corvette! They have the base Vette and then there is a Z06 which is the high performance version or a step above that is the Callaway Corvette's. I mean do you see a pattern here? Pretty much every car has different variations of it. But to say just because a car from the same car company and for them to use their company's badging on a car that isn't a Skyline is stupid. They own the rights to the Spec V name. If they wanted to they could make a high performance Maxima and call it the Spec V or V Spec. But is guess since the Maxima Spec V couldn't beat a Skyline then I guess thats an embarrassment then also huh? You need to think before you start talking crap about cars and especially this car. I own one and this car definatly deserves the Spec V badging on it.

14. Re: Mini- Skyline

this car rocks! i got props from a guy driving a $45,000 S4 for even keeping up with him so there.

hehe

15. Re: Mini- Skyline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from TheEnthusiast
    mini skyline? don't make me laugh. this wannabe here can't be compared to a skyline. it doesn't even deserve the spec-v badging. that's an insult to the skyline. and to think they originally wanted to give it the v-spec label. same thing goes for the mitsu "lancer." that thing is a disgrace and an insult to the lancer name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dude thats why they have different models of each car. Go out and find a 2nd generation non turbo Skyline and the Sentra Spec V will romp on it. They have the Spec V badging on it for the same reason why Civic's have the VTEC badging on them. It mostly for marketing and sales. But at the same time they do throw some balls on this car. Nobody expects a Sentra to be that fast. This is just for the SE-R enthusuiats *spelling?* for for somebody to bash on this car is just wrong. It is supposed to be a pocket rocket and by no means to be able to destroy Mustang's *besides the V6 ones*, Vettes, etc. This is a Inline 4 cylinder. I mean not all cars have to be sports cars. Because not all people can afford the performance. Example's include the Mitsubishi Lancer, thats car is by no means supposed to be "fast" it is a simple econo car to get you from point a to point b. Then they have the high performance model the Evo's. Then there's the Subaru WRX's, yest the WRX's are fast but not compared to its high performance version of the WRX STi, then the old Toyota Supra's, there were two models, turbo & non-turbo. The non-turbo'd ones are not fast while their high performance versions are twin turbo's which are a lot faster. Then there's the Mustang's they have a V6 version then there's the GT with a V8 then there is the SVT which is the high performance version then a step abpve that is the Saleen Mustang. They even have one for the Corvette! They have the base Vette and then there is a Z06 which is the high performance version or a step above that is the Callaway Corvette's. I mean do you see a pattern here? Pretty much every car has different variations of it. But to say just because a car from the same car company and for them to use their company's badging on a car that isn't a Skyline is stupid. They own the rights to the Spec V name. If they wanted to they could make a high performance Maxima and call it the Spec V or V Spec. But is guess since the Maxima Spec V couldn't beat a Skyline then I guess thats an embarrassment then also huh? You need to think before you start talking crap about cars and especially this car. I own one and this car definatly deserves the Spec V badging on it."

okay...the title of this forum is "mini-skyline." the sentra se-r spec V is by no means anywhere near the skyline's level. then, nissan USA tries to lure everybody to this thing with a spec V labeling? i'm sorry...i don't buy it. it is stupid to make this car into something it isn't. comparing a sentra to a skyline would be comparing a cavelier to a corvette. it just don't make any sense. VTEC on a civic actually stands for something(variable valve timing w/electronic control), while spec V on the sentra only stands for a different trim level. trim levels for the civic are cx(no longer exist), dx, lx, ex, & si. i still say nissan should stick with the se-r badging as the top of the line for the sentra being that it has been a sentra trademark. i doubt nissan Japan will let nissan USA give the V spec label to the maxima. the sentra didn't get it so, what makes u think the maxima will? i haven't said this car don't have balls. i've driven one and it has ample power and handles fairly well; although i still prefer the handling of the celica gts and integra type-r. what i'm trying to get at is why does nissan try to make this car into something it's not? the mitsu lancer is a joke. "oz rally edition"??? that thing couldn't possibly do any better off road than my rusted up carbureted corolla. the lancer is just like the old mitsu mirage...cuz that's all it'll ever be, a mirage. i'll be waiting for the REAL lancer evo when it comes out. i'll be purchasing one when it comes out next spring. see, mitsubishi got smart like subaru and decided give us the real deal. now if nissan was smart...they'd bring us the REAL skyline, and i'm not talking about the G35 either.

16. Re: Mini- Skyline

dude this car handles better than your integra type-r and celica gts. these are numbers tested by: car & driver mag, sport compact car mag. So before making assumptions, get some lateral g (0.86)slalom numbers and lane change numbers. secondly, it's spec v instead of v spec...that keeps them apart. Of course it isnt a skyline, it's just a cheaper alternative. If i were to compare dollar to performance, it is just as equal as a skyline.

17. Re: Mini- Skyline

"dude this car handles better than your integra type-r and celica gts. these are numbers tested by: car & driver mag, sport compact car mag. So before making assumptions, get some lateral g (0.86)slalom numbers and lane change numbers. secondly, it's spec v instead of v spec...that keeps them apart. Of course it isnt a skyline, it's just a cheaper alternative. If i were to compare dollar to performance, it is just as equal as a skyline."

when did i say the celica gts & integra type R handle better than the sentra spec V? i said i PREFER the handling of the celeica and integra. who's the one assuming? car & driver tested the celica gts and it pulled 0.88 g of lateral grip. that was the issue with the three wedges and a bubble comparision. so, that's better than the number u posted. i don't have the number for the integra cuz i can't find the magazine but...the integra type R handles better than the celica gts...so...i'm sure the integra type R will have a better number. to test the full capability of a car's handling would require a race track as these numbers do not tell how the car would handle when other variables are put into play. the sentra got the spec V lablel because Nissan Japan would not allow Nissan USA to give the V spec label to the sentra. V spec is skyline exclusive. a cheaper alternative to the skyline would be a lancer evo gsr or a impreza wrx sti as those are 4 dr, awd machine just like the skyline.

18. Re: Mini- Skyline

Oh well dude! Its supposed to be a little pocket rocket. Its not supposed to be a #$%#ing race car. Its a fun little sport compact that is fun to drive and has some balls! And where do you thikn in america we would be able to get our hands on a WRX STi or a Lancer Evo? Those cars are pretty much street legal rally cars. While all the Spec V is for is for fun everyday driving with some zip to it. If you don't buy the Spec V labeling then fine go out and the the SE-R then or a GXE if it will make you happy. But if you don't buy the Spec V labeling then DON'T BUY THE CAR!!!!

19. Re: Mini- Skyline

mitusbishi is bringing the lancer evo to the US sometime next spring. since mitsubishi is bringing the the real lancer over, subaru will bring the impreza wrx sti over as well. so, it is possible to get ur hands on those street legal rally cars! i don't intend on buying a sentra. either the lancer evo or impreza wrx sti will be in my driveway. and...i'd rather have the 200sx se-r, old sentra se-r, or the AE86 corolla than the new sentra se-r spec V.

20. Re: Mini- Skyline

if you say you would rather have a older se-r than a newer one...then you've definitely lying to yourself and us. I mean come on. It's a hot looking pocket rocket. THe old ser's are so gross looking.

21. Re: Mini- Skyline

This is certainly no mini-skyline but because it was in my price range, I went to go look at one at a nissan dealer and the sticker price was $17K. That's 175 hp, 6spd manual, 4 doors, CD player, keyless entry, 17" alloys, limited slip and decent handling and torque (atleast from what I hear) and all that for the price of a porsche timing belt. OK, maybe it's not that cheap, but it's pretty damn cheap, $17K. Not to mention it'll have the reliability of a nissan, as opposed to a Fixed Or Repaired Daily Focus or a dodge neon, lol.

I would get one, but if I move up in my job, I'll just save up for an evo

22. Re: Mini- Skyline

reason why i prefer the AE86 corolla, older sentra se-r, and 200sx se-r is becuase i like high revving four cylinder engines. c'mon...the older sentra had the SR20 in it. the older sentra's redline is higher than the new one. granted, it doesn't produce as much hp as the new one but, that can be compensated. the AE86 corolla's 4AGE has a high redline as well. the new sentra can only rev as high as my '88 supra turbo. the looks on these three cars don't matter to me as much. the old sentra can be easily made into a sleeper. imagine the humiliation of getting beaten by an ugly car!!

23. Re: Mini- Skyline

While it may not exactly be a mini skyline, it's a awesome car, especially if you compare it against the base Sentra. Somehow, Super-Sentra sounds better to me.