Mobile AMD vs Mobile Intel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by M3 ALL THE WAY, Aug 10, 2006.

1. and core 2 duo smokes it....and the manufacturers already have it. WAIT.

2. Smokes it may be going a bit far.

IMO, it's 'retarded as hell' to buy top-of-the-line computer equipment.

There will always be something better in the pipeline. Wait for the Merom family. But why stop waiting there? The next set of procs (Santa Rosa) will offer a higher bus speed (800MHz). And when they come out, the next big thing will be looming.

That's the game. Play it if you want, but you'll always lose.

In any case, I'm not here to argue, just to offer a friendly suggestion to a guy who wanted one. Obviously C2D is faster (to varying degrees). If he wants to wait, let him. If not, he won't know the difference between C2D and CD anyway since (I'm assuming) he hasn't used either. Besides, the thread was Intel v. AMD, not Intel v. Intel.

3. whats the diff??????? Core 2 duo and centrino duo????

4. god damn it 996...You have to cofuse the shit out of people...

There is no such thing as waiting in the electronic industry. Period. Everything gets outdated by next week.
    If you are building a desktop. then THE chip to buy right now is the Core 2 Duo X6800

For mobiles....the Core Duo is the chip in the Centrino Duo. Centrino duo means that it has the chip/motherboard/wireless specs that meet with Intel standards. Put it simply, Centrino means Core Duo + features.

Core 2 Duo is the upgrade of the Core Duo which is not out for laptops yet.....

5. going a bit far? have you not seen what has happened with conroe? the E6600, a midrange chip, smokes the previous best chips. and it costs a third. Santa Rosa is going to take a LOT longer to come than Merom, because the manufacturers already have the merom's in their posession. if you dont want to wait 2 weeks for faster, cheaper laptops then go straight ahead.

6. TOTALLY new architecture. 15 ops/clock instead of 9.

7. I am going to say this over and over again.

In the computer industry. You don't wait. You live in the moment. your top of the line PC will be outdated in a matter of 2 weeks.

8. your top of the line PC will be outdated in two weeks if you are #$%#ing retarded and buy right before a completely new architecture comes out. if you wait 2 weeks, then you are in good stead for at least 6 months before something is way better than it.

i'm thinking none of you realize how big of a jump merom/conroe is over anything previous.

9. DAMN YOU ALL!!!! You're making me have an inferiority complex. I want a new laptop now. It's like 6 months old or so, and had the best processor on the market then. But now you bastards make me want to buy a new laptop again already. Stupid crappy Athlon 4000+... No damn DDR2. Shit IDE harddrive. God damn it. I hate you all.

10. 996 I agree that this is a large jump in computing and worth waiting for. What companies will be using the core 2 duo in their notebooks in the near future?

11. #36 M3 ALL THE WAY, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016

12. [1] Aurora� mALX

Processor: AMD Turion� 64 Mobile ML44 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache
    Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Microsoft� Windows� XP Professional with Service Pack 2
    Display: 19" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera
    Motherboard: nVIDIA nForce 4 SLI
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    Hard Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 240GB (2 x 120GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
    Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
    Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB NVidia� GeForce� Go 7900 GTX SLI Enabled � 1GB of Total Memory!
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster� Audigy� 2 ZS PCMCIA
    Wireless Network Card: External 802.11a/b/g WiFi PCMCIA Card
    Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
    Mouse: Logitech� G5 Laser Gaming Mouse - Maximum PC Award Winner!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� Ozma 7� Headphones with S-Logic� Technology - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� Aurora mALX Exclusive Design - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager � Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Aurora mALX Backpack - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Custom Name Plate - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Felt Cloth Protector - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Keychain - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Luggage Tag - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Pen - Included!
    Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware� ALX Polo Shirt - Included!
    Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service / AlienAutopsy / Respawn
    Alienware Exclusive Offers: GameFly - Unlimited Game Rentals for 15 days - FREE TRIAL
    Productivity Software: Microsoft� Office 2003 Basic
    Security: Targus Key Lock Notebook Security Cable

13. everyone. they should be out before the end of august, and if not, the first week of september.

14. #39 996 911 Turbo, Aug 11, 2006
  15. Waiting 2 weeks for a new generation of chip is not quite the same as constantly holding back for an incremental clock speed boost.

Since the C2D release is only a few weeks away it is certainly worth waiting for the performance boost.

16. I agree. I only hope that waiting two weeks really = waiting two weeks.

It may be more like waiting two weeks to order and waiting two months for shipment (depending on availability, demand and manufacturer).

As for the performance boost, on paper is should be substantial. In practice, it varies from substantial to insignificant depending on application.

17. more than 30% boost between the X6800 and the FX-62 in FPS in several games...

18. haha, IDE hard drive? Dude SATA has been out for 3+ years now.

There also isn't a huge difference between DDR2 vs DDR, yet.

Nothing wrong with a 4000+ except that I would have gone dual core.

19. so I don't remember who said they will be cheap...but: why are the core 2 duos going to be inexpensive when they come out? I don't really want to go over 2k USD so will I be able to afford one?

20. #45 blackwood, Aug 11, 2006
    The cost per proc should be the same as the equivalent (clock speed) Core Duos. Whether builders will give them to you without marking them up remains to be seen.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=2

21. Price war with AMD

There are prices online now for the CPUs

22. ohh nice, thanks

23. Well the thing is that I couldn't find anything with SATA with the 4000+ CPU. You had to drop like .4GHZ or something with the CPU to get SATA with an AMD. And also the Dual Core AMD wasn't available in a laptop, except in super overpriced alienwares which used desktop processors. I don't do much gaming on it anyway, so it's not too big a deal.

My desktop is another story though. It's still damn near top of the line. AMD Dual Core 4800, 1 GB DDR, 2 300 GB SATA-II HDs in Raid.

24. ^^

"I don't do much gaming on it anyway, so it's not too big a deal."

I don't do much gaming either. Are there many multi-threaded games yet?

25. AFAIK there isn't. But I think there's supposed to be come coming down the pipeline soonish.