Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and would

Discussion in '1994 BMW M5' started by pH GVP rcr, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

Yes the engine will fit in the engine bay and you can keep your AC. But whatever you do DO NOT KEEP THE GEARBOX. The E30s were designed to have 5 speeds and a relatively tiny engine coupled to it. What you are doing in essence is Taking away the 400lb weight at the top of a 400lb support and replacing it with an 800lb weight. You WILL break the car. Go on ahead and pair the Euro engine with a 6 speed from a current M5. The gearing mechanisms will fit into the E30 with a little bit of work and custom fittings.

The results are shocking. For a car that can get 0-60 in 6.5 seconds out of a six cyl engine, you will pump out low 4 to even mid 3 second 0-60s. Traction will be an issue also, so put a wide body kit and widen the tires.

If you wanted to go even further, turbo charging would increase the power of the car to a silly extent. Whoever said turbo charging a BMW is wrong is incorrect themselves. BMW did not emerge as a force to be reckoned with within the racing communtiy until the 2002tii TURBOs came onto the scene. They swept the races becasue of turbos. That is why this more evolved BMW deserves to be turbo charged. Just be responsible and not be too crazy with the psi of the turbo.

2. The E30 weighs at 1200kg stock. After the euro M5 motor, euro E36 M3 tranny and ect.. the car would wieght in about 1300kg. How faster would I be in the 0-100mph, quater mile, ect.. Any guesses would be great. I won't get into the turbo yet until I'm done researching.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

Wow...that's kind of a cool idea. I've always dug everything about the E34 M5. So that engine will fit? I know an E36 M3 engine will fit in an E30, but geez. What year and model E30 do you have? Good luck with your swap.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

And please don't disgrace this car by putting a super or turbo charger on it.
    <!-- Signature -->

5. #5 Masmurdera, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

If you know a tad about engines and other shit go to http://www.downloads.com and look up the Virtual Engine Calculator 2000 it will tell you rpm's, mph, torque 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile time and speed, gearing, compression ratio, piston speed, altitude correction and weather correction. Check it out it pretty cool

6. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

With 340 horsepower in that 3.8 liter in-line 6 would'nt that screw up your gearbox? Even if ya got a 325i I'm quite sure your gearbox will be left in shreads. Better get a stronger one before you stuff that 340 horses in your car!!! And my estimate in performance is 0-60 mph in about 4.2 seconds. Thats if ya get a really good drive-chain. eg: clutch, gearbox, flywheel etc.

7. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

the gearbox will stand up, BMWs gearbox are practically unbreakable

8. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

Usually, when you buy an engine like that, you can get the transmission with it. You'd want the 6-speed anyway. The standard 5-speed would be worthless; the gearing would be all wrong. If you want to do this right, buddy, you're going to have to do some calculations for the gear ratios...the final drive on the M5 and that of your E30 are most likely totally different. You might end up with a useless 1st gear because of unavoidable burnouts or a car that launches as fast as the standard E30 becasue 1st is too tall. Think about the mass that you're accelerating and see what your tranny options are.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

I would say 4.1 secs for 0-60<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

I can't wait until the next M5 comes out, 5.5 liter V10, 500hp, 6 speed. I'm going to make a bold guess and say 0 to 60 in 4.3

11. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

ya with 340 hp (or maybe about 380 if you turbocharge it like you said you might) you'll definately need to change the transmition (i dont know if it comes with the engine, like LanciaDeltaIntegraleS4 said (very good car BTW) )

P.S. that Engine Calculator software, it really helps

12. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

I would guess around mid 12's maybe but you will need some big wheels and tires. I would suggest getting at least some 8in wide wheels and some big tires to match. the gearing is important but the m3 tranny should take care of it I think. Good luck sounds cool.

13. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

you don't need a bigger gearbox. The one you get with the engine would do unless the E30 box bolts onto it. IT WON'T BREAK at that power. For an E30 with that kind of power your going to need a compleate suspension upgrade too, and someone mentioned new rims, yeah you'll need though, 8.5inch wides if you can get them though you'll need to guards rolled.

You'll also eventually need a new diff, that much power the diff will go way before the gearbox.

How do i know all this, i own a 385hp E30

14. Re: Need some guess. I'm putting the euro 3.8L in my E30 and wo

Get some good seatbelts too and make sure you have cash for tires.

15. #15 ryan8624, Oct 4, 2003
    Re:

check out www.dtmpower.net, thats all bmw guys, they should be able to help you out, i saw a E30 with M5 6 in it, turboed to 875hp, and its forsale of anyone wants to fly to swenden for it.

16. #16 GolfVR6power, Jan 12, 2004
    Re: Re:

There's a guy in Sweden who put a 3,8 M5 engine into a 325 E30, turbocharged it and got (in a recent issue of the magazine bilsport, www.bilsport.se) 875 BHP in it, 720 BHP on 98 unleaded fuel. Without proper adjustments to the chassis he's made 10 second runs on the quarter mile, with an expected high 8 with the car set up for the dragstrip...

17. Re: Re:

after the m5 engine swap you need some airplane wings because it will be flying.