New watch?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RIDDIK, Feb 11, 2013.

1. #1 RIDDIK, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. I think it's kind of flashy, gaudy and ugly. But everyone's style/taste is different, obviously. I feel like for that amount of money you can do much better.

3. lol ya. way to avoid "flashy or gaudy".

It's just a stripped down gold and diamond chronograph watch with a complex bracelet.

it's pretty subtle and classy, like a hummer h2

4. I'd feel tacky wearing that to the Source Awards.

5. I was on the fence about it but yeah, the more I look at it the more I'm unhappy with it.

6. I'd have to agree with the above. For +500$... 1. why even consider a Citizen? 2. you can get a lot nicer watches that are far less ostentatious.

That watch looks like it cost 20$ from a street vendor.

7. facepalm.

get whatever watch you want. but these are not the right description words.

8. Get the Bulova.

9. Point blank I know absolutely zero about watches and i'm not going to pretend that I do, hence why i'm asking advice on here in the first place. I want a watch for normal use as well as classy enough for the occasional special occasion.

10. i really like the Tissot PRC200. I think w00t also has one.

it's a certain style that took me some maturing to acquire.

i used to like the kind of watch you showed too. like if i'm spending x amount on a watch, i want it to have the visual impact, etc.

but the kind of watches you showed don't really have versatility. I'd never pair it with a nice suit or wear it to a wedding, etc.

I feel like going with something simpler will give you more use out of the watch. In the way that you'll be able to wear it for a longer time. With those trendy black metal watches or the gold diamond watches, you'll mature and grow out of that look in a couple of years.

11. Yeah, I'd go leather strap, but I'd go white or silver face. Get a black and brown band and switch it up every now and then.

12. you wanna spend $500?
    ill make some excellent suggestions
    msn etc

13. you still use MSN?

14. lol dont be silly
    but its not a watch thread without an msn reference

15. You can get yourself a nice pilots watch with a reliable Swiss automatic movement for $500usd.

16. Citizen are very good quality, I have 2. But this one is too flashy for me

17. I'd look for something from Tissot instead at that price point.

Nice watch doesn't mean gold and diamonds unless you're 962Racer.

18. Hi preference just happens to include icy bling, so I don't know if classic, understated styles are going to work for him.

If Bulova, consider the Precisionist. You get a hand sweep like a mechanical watch but it's still a quartz so it's very accurate and simple. And they have some pretty wicked modern looking watches these days.

19. His preference just happens to include icy bling, so I don't know if classic, understated styles are going to work for him.

If Bulova, consider the Precisionist. You get a hand sweep like a mechanical watch but it's still a quartz so it's very accurate and simple. And they have some pretty wicked modern looking watches these days.

20. I like the suggestions christofurr made. Pilot watches are cool.
    Those Tissots are nice, but probably out of his price range.

Avoid watches that are flashy and showy (have gold or diamond type features - since it's rarely either) or intricate bezels, because it definitely looks like you went to a low end jewelry shop and picked out the most expensive looking watch per dollar spent.

I've had a bad experience with Citizen Eco-Drive. I received the watch as a gift, it's a rather ugly dress watch that only gets worn in the presence of the giver, and only when dress up. It was left out in light, but the battery still died.

21. second only to headphones in terms of male money pits bought for style but justified by some sort of asinine specification. Second because in the end, you can at least fully appreciate the tiny machinery. what's to appreciate about 200 dollar foam and magnets?

get a walmart watch that looks like that tissot.

22. I would keep saving and get something $2000+ or go lower like $100 timex ...

might want to look at Seiko , Victorinox Swiss Army for some decent watches in that range.

23. I actually agree with this sorta. fine jewelery isn't always a half bad investment if you're not trying to make money, just maintain value. My parents own three rolexs for this reason. they certainly don't wear them ever.

24. #25 c7015, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016