Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

Discussion in '2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello' started by 550WOLVES, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

Are we talking about the same SL here?

2. i mean seriously. the Merc is cheaper, just as fast, better built and engineered, better looking and in 16 seconds goes from a seriously sexy coupe to a drop-dead gorgeous roadster.

even if i was to but a Ferrari, i would go for the cheaper, more forfilling 360 anyway. i'm assuming this 575 would be around if not more than the 550's £160k + [A$500k] hefty price tag.

give me an SL55 AMG [or Ruf R turbo for this money] any day of the week. sorry Ferrari. it is nice, but not nice enough.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

screw mercedes, ferrari is........well ferrari. bsides it just looks incredible.

4. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

ferrari has it's own class, which makes it better in almost every way. If I had the money, i'd obviously go with the FERRARI.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from slinkywizard</i>
    <b>i mean seriously. the Merc is cheaper, just as fast, better built and engineered, better looking and in 16 seconds goes from a seriously sexy coupe to a drop-dead gorgeous roadster.

even if i was to but a Ferrari, i would go for the cheaper, more forfilling 360 anyway. i'm assuming this 575 would be around if not more than the 550's £160k + [A$500k] hefty price tag.

give me an SL55 AMG [or Ruf R turbo for this money] any day of the week. sorry Ferrari. it is nice, but not nice enough.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    No I wouldn't. And this is faster than the SL55 AMG. <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

nope. id rather buy this, and mercedes engineering, is nothing like ferrari engineering

7. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

How is the mercedes faster?
    it does 0-60 in 4.6.. (i think)
    top speed is limited 155

ferrari
    0-60 4.1
    top speed 202

Not to mention the 1/4 mile times.
    The ferrari will be far nicer looking, nicer sounding.
    I'll take the ferrari for sure.

8. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

Take the Ferrari. No contest. The Mercedes SLR concept car would be a match but an SL55 AMG wouldn't stand a chance. In my opinion the Maranello is also 100 times more beautiful too.

-------------------------------------
    Let up for a second and that's where you'll finish.

9. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VMIFerrari</i>
    <b>Take the Ferrari. No contest. The Mercedes SLR concept car would be a match but an SL55 AMG wouldn't stand a chance. In my opinion the Maranello is also 100 times more beautiful too.

-------------------------------------
    Let up for a second and that's where you'll finish. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Word on the beauty... <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

just a quick point, the ferraris quicker to 100k because the merc spins the wheels through the first two gears through loss of traction. Not to mention it weighs more, however the mercs quicker over 100k to 200 and 300 its faster than everything a GT2, lambo and Aston Martin's Vanquish.

I think from memory it beat the new Lambo to 300 by over 2 seconds... At that pace, thats a lot.

11. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

To answer the initial question, no I wouldn't rather have a Mercedes. I wouldn't take any Mercedes over any Ferrari, well, except maybe for the CLK GTR (now that's nice).

12. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

Hell no. AMG can try all they want, but the SL55 is a pathetic excuse for a "supercar." SL55 is for rich business executives who want to feel better about themselves. Besides, all of the SL55's power is nixed because of the auto-tranny.

13. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

I sort of agree, the SL55 AMG has the potential to be one of the fastest roadcars of all time. They made it too heavy for the tires though. I think i read that if you took the governor out, and the only limiting factor is weight. Without governor, i heard the SL could hit 220 without overstressing the tires. I don't know about handling or acceleration though. I also think this car is better looking than the SL.

14. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

What do you mean the SL can do 200? It's top speed I believe is somewhere around 155 mph unless of course you're referring to kph.

15. #15 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

It's not 220. It's 202 mph (325 kph). The car was de-limited, however, so can't be considered stock production.

The rest of the results:

"The latest issue of the German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) has a comparison between 5 +300 km/h cars. They are all non modified production cars:

Aston Martin Vanquish
    Ferrari 550 Maranello
    Lamborghini Murciélago
    Mercedes SL55 AMG (unlimited version, a DM 3000 option)
    Porsche GT2

They test the cars at the Italian high speed track Nardo (where you don't have any centrifugal force on the car when doing 240km/h). They test acceleration 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 0-300km/h and topspeed.

The results are surprising:

0-100 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 5.6 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 4.7 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 3.6 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 4.6 s
    Porsche GT2 4.0 s

0-200 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 17.4 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 14.6 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 11.4 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 13.7 s
    Porsche GT2 13.1 s

0-300 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 55.0 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 61.2 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 34.2 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 32.5 s
    Porsche GT2 40.9 s

Top speed:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 316 km/h
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 306 km/h
    Lamborghini Murciélago 330 km/h
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 325 km/h
    Porsche GT2 315 km/h

The Mercedes Sl55 AMG (with automatic transmission and tons of extra options) is the fastest car to 300 km/h and only slower in top speed than the twice as expensive Lamborghini...

Weight of the cars:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 1863 kg
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 1732 kg
    Lamborghini Murciélago 1819 kg
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 1974 kg
    Porsche GT2 1446 kg

CW value:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 0.34
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 0.33
    Lamborghini Murciélago 0.33
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 0.29
    Porsche GT2 0.34

The SL 55 AMG is the heaviest car but also has the best CW value."

You can read up on it here:
    http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=33884d38aabad2449541ac12797025ec&threadid=29179

Just for reference, the top speed limited SL55 AMG has been driven around Nurburgring in 8:12, only 5 seconds slower than the 6-speed equipped 550 Maranello, obviously with no limiter. On a shorter track like Hockenheim, the Merc may very well come out ahead.

16. #16 LiquidChild, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>It's not 220. It's 202 mph (325 kph). The car was de-limited, however, so can't be considered stock production.

The rest of the results:

"The latest issue of the German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) has a comparison between 5 +300 km/h cars. They are all non modified production cars:

Aston Martin Vanquish
    Ferrari 550 Maranello
    Lamborghini Murciélago
    Mercedes SL55 AMG (unlimited version, a DM 3000 option)
    Porsche GT2

They test the cars at the Italian high speed track Nardo (where you don't have any centrifugal force on the car when doing 240km/h). They test acceleration 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 0-300km/h and topspeed.

The results are surprising:

0-100 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 5.6 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 4.7 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 3.6 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 4.6 s
    Porsche GT2 4.0 s

0-200 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 17.4 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 14.6 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 11.4 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 13.7 s
    Porsche GT2 13.1 s

0-300 km/h:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 55.0 s
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 61.2 s
    Lamborghini Murciélago 34.2 s
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 32.5 s
    Porsche GT2 40.9 s

Top speed:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 316 km/h
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 306 km/h
    Lamborghini Murciélago 330 km/h
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 325 km/h
    Porsche GT2 315 km/h

The Mercedes Sl55 AMG (with automatic transmission and tons of extra options) is the fastest car to 300 km/h and only slower in top speed than the twice as expensive Lamborghini...

Weight of the cars:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 1863 kg
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 1732 kg
    Lamborghini Murciélago 1819 kg
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 1974 kg
    Porsche GT2 1446 kg

CW value:
    Aston Martin Vanquish 0.34
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 0.33
    Lamborghini Murciélago 0.33
    Mercedes SL55 AMG 0.29
    Porsche GT2 0.34

The SL 55 AMG is the heaviest car but also has the best CW value."

You can read up on it here:
    http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=33884d38aabad2449541ac12797025ec&threadid=29179

Just for reference, the top speed limited SL55 AMG has been driven around Nurburgring in 8:12, only 5 seconds slower than the 6-speed equipped 550 Maranello, obviously with no limiter. On a shorter track like Hockenheim, the Merc may very well come out ahead.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you talking about the New SL55? I'm pretty sure you can spec those without the Limiter, I think I read something about it in TopGear.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

Yes, I've heard of the optional 285 kmh limiter (up from 250). It's something like a 3000 DM option. As far as I know, there's no factory option to remove the limiter altogether.

18. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

One cant compare the two , one italian and the other german its like comparing chalk and cheese.

One cant put them head to head it doesnt make sense.

19. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

True, the SL55 is cheaper, but it is neither faster, better built, engineered or looking. The whole reason that Ferrari improved its 550 (the result of which is the 575) is that the SL55 and Aston Martin's Vanquish were quickly surpassing the 550. Ferrari upgraded it to put them ahead again. The whole reason the 575 was made is to better the SL55! I even read that in Ferrari's main garage in Maranello, Italy, they have a handful of SL55's just to make sure that the 575 is a better performer!

20. Re: Nice, buit wouldn't you rather a Merc SL55 AMG?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Zoomy3</i>
    <b>True, the SL55 is cheaper, but it is neither faster, better built, engineered or looking. The whole reason that Ferrari improved its 550 (the result of which is the 575) is that the SL55 and Aston Martin's Vanquish were quickly surpassing the 550. Ferrari upgraded it to put them ahead again. The whole reason the 575 was made is to better the SL55! I even read that in Ferrari's main garage in Maranello, Italy, they have a handful of SL55's just to make sure that the 575 is a better performer!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->All manufacturers purchase a few cars off thier rivals companies.<!-- Signature -->