nice, but front wheel drive!

Discussion in '1997 Mitsubishi FTO' started by sik14u, Aug 10, 2002.

1. it looks good, but dont u think it should be rear wheel drive?

2. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

In Japan, the direct competitors of this car are cars like Integra Type R, Celica GT-S, and other front drive cars like that. If this car was to be rear drive, then it would have to compete with much more powerful cars offered and this thing would get it's ass kicked.

3. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

Yeah, if this were RWD, then the closest thing to it would be a silvia. And a silvia would practically rape this car. Still looks cool though.

4. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

they do have an AWD version, or at least they did.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

ive never seen an awd FTO but it would be nice to drive, however seeing as the power would be split between the front and back and it would loose a few hp in the diff, do you know if it had an upgraded engine package?

6. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

nope
    front drive is good for not very high powered cars

7. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

Needs a 5-speed and a turbo

8. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

they did?

9. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

What do you think of the GM 454

10. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

Yep, the FTO limited edition. One or two were made, and it became something of an icon as THE best car in gran turismo

11. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

There is a 5 speed gear box.I have one.Turbo is not necessary.You can easily aspirate this car to 300hp.Easily.I am goign to reach 240 just by adding exhuat work and air intake work.So inexpensive

12. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

Well they were probably concepts if only 1 or 2 were made....doesnt really count...

13. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

the origional FTO was RWD and from what i hear this car handles well for a FWD car

14. Re: nice, but front wheel drive!

This used to be my one complaint of the FTO. This is one of girlfriends favorite cars, and I know she'd love to own one, of course we're not lucky like those over in Japan so we don't even get an option. I always argued about it being FWD, and I'm a RWD enthusiast, and I mean hardcore RWD enthusiast. I will only buy a FWD car under very rare conditions, but that's a whole matter to itself, lol.
    But anyhow, as mentioned, it is a very good car for a FWD model, and does a good job, in my opinion, competing with other cars in it's class.

And I agree.. a Silvia would rape this car, in a very dirty manner. :p