Nice car but slow 0-60!

Discussion in '1959 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Series I' started by bugatti442, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

just find some 3:83's to put in the back, and you guys would be happy.<!-- Signature -->

2. This is nice but why does it have such a slow 0-60 time it cant be wieght to slow it down because it does not weigh much.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Can you say "1961"? Even though it has pretty good hp, light weight, and all those other things we always look for in a car, it's missing one thing. Technology. Engines weren't too efficient back then, and there was absolutely no replacement for displacement. European cars were still keeping their tiny engines while Ford, GM, and Dodge were going bigger and bigger. Needless to say, some American muscle cars could stomp European competition. The main thing missing from these small engines was torque.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Well in the 1960's to have so much power(340 hp is still a bit), the chassis were made to cope with the extra power .The Ferrari chassis could be said to be slightly heavier, and as maranelloboy said torque is an essential ingredient.The efficency doesnt have much to do with it. If it has power then it has the power to push it along at a theoretical high speed
    Possibly the drivetrain was the weak link. clutches and gearboxes also werent the best back then either
    Actually a very confusing question as to why it has a slow 0-60

Im just waiting for an idiot to come along and thinks he has the perfect answer(lets wait and see!!!!)

5. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

i think it has a good 0-60 for its time. 1962 porche speedster (king of accel in market cars, right?) 0-60 in 9.4 and take into concideration that it is half the waight than this car<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Well the year was 1961 man. Outside of some American cars like the 1961 Chevy Impala SS 409 you wern't gonna get a quicker 0-60 time than that.

Spyder757

7. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maranelloboy</i>
    <b>Can you say "1961"? Even though it has pretty good hp, light weight, and all those other things we always look for in a car, it's missing one thing. Technology. Engines weren't too efficient back then, and there was absolutely no replacement for displacement. European cars were still keeping their tiny engines while Ford, GM, and Dodge were going bigger and bigger. Needless to say, some American muscle cars could stomp European competition. The main thing missing from these small engines was torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

it's a 4L in '61, that was still quite big. Not really "tiny".<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Its al about gearing. muscle cars in th late 60's and early 70's with 350 horses wouldnt do more then 120 mph. their maximum power was from 20-80 miles an hour, after that and before that wasnt their best. It was the way they were geared. at 120 mph in a muscle car like mine, you are reving the hell out of it and it just redlines. with 340 hp in 1961, this was geared for top speed. 150 is pretty good for that time. I didnt put hte commas in the right place on this whole thing, so just try and figure out what i was trying to put together. but i think thats your answer<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bugatti442</i>
    <b>Its al about gearing. muscle cars in th late 60's and early 70's with 350 horses wouldnt do more then 120 mph. their maximum power was from 20-80 miles an hour, after that and before that wasnt their best. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Thats not true at all, you sound like a dumbass ric3boy.

The Dodge Charger R/T with a 440ci V-8 topped out at 150mph and still wasted lesser cars in 0-60 and at the drag strip.

Spyder757

10. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

You gotta realize how old this thing is in order to appreciate how fast that 0-60 time is. But something else that you should look at is the fact that straight-line acceleration and top speed aren't the only things that matter on the race course. Handling(skidpad and slalom numbers) definitely plays a factor, and braking can be a big deal. I test-drove a brand-new Corvette for fun a little while ago, although I could never afford it. They've got great acceleration, great speeds, and nice brakes, and they handle pretty good. One of the main things that needs to be addressed when it comes down to performance-tuning them is a little more rear grip, because the back really wants to swing out when you're steering it. Sure as hell beats my '89 Tempo, though.

11. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bugatti442</i>
    <b>Its al about gearing. muscle cars in th late 60's and early 70's with 350 horses wouldnt do more then 120 mph. their maximum power was from 20-80 miles an hour, after that and before that wasnt their best. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Dodge Charger R/T with a 440ci V-8 topped out at 150mph and still wasted lesser cars in 0-60 and at the drag strip.

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> I soulnd like ric8boy???? are you joking me?? I OWN A FU&*ING MUSCLE CAR!!!!!!!!!! it has close to 400 horses but wont do over 130 mph. You have 1 example of a muscle car that can do more then that. you dont know, shut up. i think someone that owns a muscle car and knows their speed, should know a little more about it then somene that doesnt! shut your #$%#&ng mouth dumbass. yeah look at any muscle car besides your little charger (nice car though) max speed 20-80 miles an hour, its all in gearing. what else do u think it would be, genious???<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Pandaman</i>
    <b>Well in the 1960's to have so much power(340 hp is still a bit), the chassis were made to cope with the extra power .The Ferrari chassis could be said to be slightly heavier, and as maranelloboy said torque is an essential ingredient.The efficency doesnt have much to do with it. If it has power then it has the power to push it along at a theoretical high speed
    Possibly the drivetrain was the weak link. clutches and gearboxes also werent the best back then either
    Actually a very confusing question as to why it has a slow 0-60

Im just waiting for an idiot to come along and thinks he has the perfect answer(lets wait and see!!!!)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->dont say im an idiot for this but it also has something to do with both gearing and sales the europeans wanted top speed so they geared it for speed while drag racing was popular in the us so we geared them for accelerationold hemi cudas had over 400 hp went 0-60 in 4.9 sec and topped out at 124 mph .<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bugatti442</i>

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Dodge Charger Hemi 426 1969 , top speed of 217kmh (134.86mph) with 425hp...
    That was the Charger Daytona that was able to go at 150mph.

14. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maranelloboy</i>
    <b>Can you say "1961"? Even though it has pretty good hp, light weight, and all those other things we always look for in a car, it's missing one thing. Technology. Engines weren't too efficient back then, and there was absolutely no replacement for displacement. European cars were still keeping their tiny engines while Ford, GM, and Dodge were going bigger and bigger. Needless to say, some American muscle cars could stomp European competition. The main thing missing from these small engines was torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    exacly!

15. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bugatti442</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> I soulnd like ric8boy???? are you joking me?? I OWN A FU&*ING MUSCLE CAR!!!!!!!!!! it has close to 400 horses but wont do over 130 mph. You have 1 example of a muscle car that can do more then that. you dont know, shut up. i think someone that owns a muscle car and knows their speed, should know a little more about it then somene that doesnt! shut your #$%#&ng mouth dumbass. yeah look at any muscle car besides your little charger (nice car though) max speed 20-80 miles an hour, its all in gearing. what else do u think it would be, genious???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're signature says you're 442 is in your "dream garage".<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

for it's time, the zero to 60 is really good. the zero to 60 doesn't matter unless your racing, but you gotta be fukin stupid, or rich and careless to race this thing.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VICIOUS</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Spyder757</i>

Spyder757</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> I soulnd like ric8boy???? are you joking me?? I OWN A FU&*ING MUSCLE CAR!!!!!!!!!! it has close to 400 horses but wont do over 130 mph. You have 1 example of a muscle car that can do more then that. you dont know, shut up. i think someone that owns a muscle car and knows their speed, should know a little more about it then somene that doesnt! shut your #$%#&ng mouth dumbass. yeah look at any muscle car besides your little charger (nice car though) max speed 20-80 miles an hour, its all in gearing. what else do u think it would be, genious???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're signature says you're 442 is in your "dream garage".</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->very good!!! and after that it says i have one. you people amaze me.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Look at the facts: 340bhp (quite a lot), 253 lb ft of torque (pretty respectable really) and a weight of around 1.5ton. A top speed of 150mph (fast) but a 0-60 time of 9.2secs.

Obviously, as some of you have realised, it is to do with gearing. The gearbox is 4 speed plus overdive so thats not many gears to get you all the way to 150mph. So with long gearing, acceleration is compromised.

A bit more torque would definitely help though.

19. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

I love the style of this car. It's speed is no concern for me, because it's elegance and besides, if I had that kind of money to buy one, I'd have other cars to go fast in

20. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

actually the reason is this. hp = torque x rpms/5252 right? so the thing about torque is actually sort of correct. american cars during the period had huge torque and offered 3-4 speed transmissions. because of this their torque allowed them to accelerate well because they were able to go through the gears rather quickly. however, european cars focused more on the high rpms action because that's what counts in a road race. to take advatage of a higher rpm operation and have good accel you have to gear up the car more closely and aggressively. in addition during this period tires where a major factor in acceleration specs. actually the guy that commented the european cars lagged behind american cars is only half right. european cars had vastly superior suspension, aerodynamics, and pioneered what is essentially very high rpm action with what is considered today old technology. european cars did well in racing, as did american cars.

i'll give an example with the gearing and i'll use american cars because usually muscle car lovers like to argue so if i use american cars this should shut them up at least make them listen.

i'll take the beginning of the lt1 corvette and the last of the l98 vettes. i use this example because their weight is basically identical, engine size almost identical, and torque figure. the only exception is really rpm operation.

the l98 makes 250 hp @ 4000 rpms

the lt1 makes 300hp @ 5000 rpms

l98 makes 340 lb/ft @ 3200 rpms
    lt1 makes 340 lb/ft @ 3600 rpms

nwo if you were to drive both you would probably shift at around 4500-4700 rpms because in next gear your torque would be more accessible. however if we plug this back into the equation we also see that although your at your torque peak and pulling the hardest, your not necessarily moving faster because when you shift your rpm level gets cut and your making less hp. on the other hand the lt1 can continue accelerating from that point on happily making 315 lb/ft torque AND making it into the higher rpm spectrum thereby accelerating no HARDER...yet it moves faster. so basically what i'm getting at is correct torque does matter, but if you have only a small spectrum of rpm movement to move it in you pull your hardest for shorter period of time vs slightly less torque or equal toruqe for a longer pull without shifting and sacrificing hp.

21. Re: Nice car but slow 0-60!

Not to fast but fast enough sweet syling to<!-- Signature -->