Nissan's 3.5 VQ series V6 is better

Discussion in '2002 Pontiac Bonneville G/XP' started by Mark, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Nissan gets 255hp out of a 3.5 V6 with no supercharger, no K&N, and no special exhaust system.

2. Re: Nissan's 3.5 VQ series V6 is better

The supercharger was added to the 3800 series V6 because GM wanted to give the car's that its put into more grunt until the new high feature engines make their way into GM cars in the next few years. GM's 3.8L PFI V6 engine makes 251hp and 263 lb-ft of torque unblown. There is also a turbocharged 3.2L PFI V6 that makes 321hp and 364 lb-ft of torque.

<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Nissan's 3.5 VQ series V6 is better

Nissan also makes the same v6 in the new Z which has about 280hp, naturally aspired. They are also making a turbocharged version of the same v6 which would good of about 330hp out of the factory, but that will come out in a few years, along with the same v6 which might be in the new GTR making around 400hp.

4. Re: Nissan's 3.5 VQ series V6 is better

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VR4</i>
    <b>Nissan also makes the same v6 in the new Z which has about 280hp, naturally aspired. They are also making a turbocharged version of the same v6 which would good of about 330hp out of the factory, but that will come out in a few years, along with the same v6 which might be in the new GTR making around 400hp.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Which 400hp V6 R U talking about? The Skyline engine? Thats an Inline 6, plus its Twin Turbo'ed. <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Nissan's 3.5 VQ series V6 is better

No man...the new Skyline engine..well not sure if it's gonna be called Skyline..but the new GTR...umm..well R/V35 is going to use either a twin turbo V6 or a V8..not sure on the turbo part.

As for the 3.8L GM engine..I find it's great. It gets the same power or even more than the Nissan VQ at lower revs...useless regular gas. Pretty good fuel efficiency...gobs of torque...and honestly, if tuned properly and unrestricted..this thing can easily churn out bout 320hp naturally aspirated. Reason why GM restricted so much is because if they didn't, the 3.8L engine would not be counted as a normal sedan engine, but a sports sedan or performance sedan engine, and therefore they will have to jack up the price to sell the car according to all the damned paperwork.
    Not to mention the insurance for the car will suddenly skyrocket =P

I think both engines are pretty good. Of course the 3.5 VQ may seem better, but it's newer, higher tech. The 3.8L is lower tech, but made with so much more low end power.
    The VQ for the new Altima is 245 HP and like 255 or 265lbs/ft.

Standard 3.8L is like 200-210hp and like 270lbs/ft =P
    And all the power comes in from like 2200rpm and continues all the way to bout 6000rpm if you want to push the engine, but there is no point =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->