No Production = No Bragging Rights

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by jcazz, Aug 9, 2002.

1. i can't believe all this fuss over a car that you'll never see on the road or track. if its so good they would have produced it by now. besides its going to get trumped soon anyway.

2. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

True, very true. It is an achievement but there is way too much fuss surrounding this car. Top speed is not everything.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

It's still something, and a pretty big thing in America.

Define production.

4. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

20 models produced in a year.

And sure it's a big thing but it doesn't mean it's a good all around car. It just means it has an amazing top speed. There's a difference.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

As I remember it it wasn't production unless it had 500 models made hence the Charger 500's, and Daytona 500's.

6. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

I'm pretty sure it is 20. Maybe the rules change from class to class. Maybe exotics can produce less. I don't know I'm not currently manufacturing cars.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

if you need 500 models to be classified as a production car, then the F50 (349 made) and the McLaren F1 (100 made) miss out. the FIA in the early 1970's I think deemed that a production run of 25 was enough to get a sportscar homologated for the world sportscar championship.

World Rally Championship used to require a production run of 2500, but I believe that is now reduced to 200 (Group B rallycars of the 1980's had to have a production run of 200).

I think this 'Vette is in a real grey area when it comes to calling it "production".

However 254 mph is fast in anybody's language.

8. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

I believe 20 was the number given. not 500. where did that come from

9. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

i guess the 500 thing was only in the USA, the rest of the world was different

10. Re: No Production = No Bragging Rights

IMA BIG FAN OF GM AND SPECIALLY CORVETTE BUT DAMNIT 3.9 SECONDS TO GET TO 60? THE 2002 Z06 HAS 405 HP AND STILL DOES BOUT THE SAME TIME THE ONLY BIG DIFFERENCE IS SPEED AND HP AND WHERES THE TORQUE? I WANNA SEE A DAMN NICE 2004 CORVETTE WITH LIKE 2000 HP OR SUMESHIYT AND JUST WHIPLASH EVEYRONE