Not bad for what it is i suppose

Discussion in '2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS' started by 1970Chevelle454LS7, Nov 12, 2003.

1. i'm not sure why this is on supercars.net but its not that bad for a V6 front wheel drive
    it could beat a mustang with a 6 banger but not a GT

i don't think that the SS badge should ever be on:
    a)anything without a V8
    b)anything front wheel drive
    c)anything with under 300 pounds of torque at the real wheels
    d)anything with under 300 HP at the rear wheels

but shyt, maybe its just me who wants the words Super Sport to mean something

2. Re: Not bad for what it is i suppose

I think its a pretty bad car. I would rather have a mercury marauder. V8 yeah.

3. Re: Not bad for what it is i suppose

well yea
    i'd take any rear drive car with a V-8 over this (except a mustang)

4. Re: Not bad for what it is i suppose

No offense guys, but really do yourselves a favour before you buy a car. Look at cars in the same pricing category. It is not the size of the engine that matters, nor the torque since there are high reving
    L-4 engines out there that will beat this junk on a rolling test in top gear. If I had US$25.000 to spend on a coupe (which I think this does not qualify considering it's size), I would look at the following: Acura RSX Type S 2.0, Dodge Stratus R/T 3.0 V6, Honda Accord Coupe V6 (best competitor in terms of size), Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.0 V6, & Toyota Celica GT-S VVTL-i 1.8. You might be thinking I am discriminating, but really, what is the point of the Monte Carlo? It is to big to be made a coupe. A coupe is supposed to be somewhat sport when you take it to the track (with left handers and right handers like Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, Sebring, not a dragstrip or a NASCAR oval track which has banking to help you stay AWAY from the wall). The Monte Carlo does not even live up even 2% to its marketing a NASCAR. The one that they drive is rear drive, uglier, does not have REAL lights, not one piece of interior is made from GM or even looks like a factory car, and the body is made of carbon fibre. How is NASCAR supposed to be Stock Car racing?? Explain to me please! So GM, use your cabeza. Guys don't be offended, you don't see the stupid Monte Carlo on any of Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, or Road and Track top picks or even have columns where readers post about them. And YES, these magazines do know what they are talking about. Anyways after you drive the RSX Type S you will see why it was voted Car and Driver's ten best. If you are an old man or are looking for something a little softer than choose the Dodge Stratus R/T(see look there are a few good American cars) or Honda Accord V6 as your choice. These two even give you the choice of a 5 or 6 speed manual that the Monte Carlo does not, and gives you a better idea of sport, while being comfortable on a long drive. I am sorry but Chevy insults the name Monte Carlo (a well known town in Monaco known for its WORLD CLASS racing). What I don't understand is how Chevrolet can get it so, so wrong with the Monte Carlo, but yet so, so right with the Corvette. I don't think Chevrolet would even sell 1000 units in all of Europe if it tried to bring the Monte Carlo and priced it at 25.000€ after taxes. Once again I say this about GM, go to your Opel plant that you own in Germany, to see how they make cars, so that you can get it right. Hopefully the new Chevrolets that Autopista magazine here in Spain is talking about proves the world wrong about Chevrolets lousy cars.

5. Re: Not bad for what it is i suppose

thats exactly the point that i'm talking about though
    there is really nothing special abotu this car but they put the SS badges on it to sell more units
    i'm talkign about how there was a time when SS was more than just a marketing thing to try to boost the sales on totally average cars that had nothing else going for them besides what they used to be

6. Re: Not bad for what it is i suppose

I used to have a 2001 Camaro SS and i liked it alot... now that deserved SS. and i had it for a while. Then i drove the 03 Cobra and felt the difference and loved it... but thats a different story ^^ anyways.. The SS on a Chevy car should mean something. But on a v6 FRONT wheel drive. The car looks nice but its not all about the looks.. Hope to see a v8 on it soon. Then they can add the SS. I figure the only reason the SS is there is for sales.