Not the fastest car in the world.

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by eamh2002, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

The fastest car which had its power mechanically linked to the wheels through a drivetrain, last I heard, was a car in Popular Mechanics awhile back when the Spirit of America and Thrust SSC were first introduced. I forget the power, it was something like 2 v12 engines and certainly over 1,000 hp. It was over 40 feet long and looked like a pencil. Less than 4 ft high. It was said to have clocked runs on salt flats at over 500 mph. Of course this is all from my memory several years back.

2. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

But why waste words on these cars. Most of these cars are limited in their performance capacity by their needs to be sold. Supercars today are not supercars. They are the best ppl can tune regular autos designed to be sold to the public. Real supercars are the Spirit of America, Thrust SSC, top fuel dragsters, f1 cars, etc. Now if you want impressive top speed, here's this:

F-111F Aardvark
    1263 knots true airspeed/ 1427 miles per hour/ Mach 2+
    1975 in Death Valley at 200 ft above ground level
    Terrain Following Radar
    Pilot: Andy Peliquin/Royal Australian Airforce

That happened in 1975! The only other things that can go that fast in that thick of air are rifle bullets, artillery projectiles, and rockets. This thing had 2 humans in it! take that.

3. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

TVR Man, where did you get your numbers? I looked into that "race" and it was a test with different drivers, a TUNED Cerbera, and a drag, not a track. Put it on a track with the same skill of driver, and the STOCK Viper will kill your "stock" Cerbera.

Note-The "old car" you mentioned was heavily modded and purposely given the most skilled driver. Next time trust official information, not biased TVR enthusiast crap.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

The fastest production car in the world is the McLaren F1! It does 391mph off show room floor. BAM! <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

who ever said that this isn't the fastest car in the world is dumb. Corvettes are the best cars in the world.

6. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

well that was a pretty valid arugement, not!. Can I ask a question? are you 15? because that sounded like it came from the mouth of babes buddy.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

Fastest road legal car

8. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MOOCHACHA</i>
    <b>theres no way that car is street legal</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->it was driven ON THE STREET from old lyme conneticut to the TRC oval in ohio

9. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

The Callaway isn;t street leagal. It was made illegal when it was shown how fast it could be on a street.

10. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

I could have told you that.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

Heckler2002 your a dumbass!! 319 mph off the showroom floor? If it did that then we would be sitting here talking about it in this post NOT the callaway.

Liars suck, people who cant accept the truth only lie to themselves!

Corvettes kick ass!!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

LOFL

Auto Union (present day Audi) was doing over 270 MPH (yes, MPH not KPH) 50 years before this thing even existed.

This car really ain't that impressive when you put it in perspective, especially when it took them damn near a week to get one speed run put together.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sportscar</i>
    <b>Man, the fastest car in the world is the Spirit of 76'. Man that baby can go up to 436 m.p.h.! But I don't know what it looks like. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I would like to also prove you wrong there, this car is also street legal if u didnt kno the Spirit of 76 i believe wasn't, and if u want u can drive this to the groceries and actually park it. And the speed record was set on a track not the salt flats.

14. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

um.my corvette has already beaten this sledghammer, my vette is a 2001 coupe, supercharged 502, intercooler, custom racing tranny.. ive hit 285 @ 6500 rpm. its pushin 870 hp..

15. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

look get over it losers its not like your ever going to reach that kind of speed, if you owned one damn it only on a god damn 30 mile strait away.Oh and by the way stop with the god damn quotes.But i think that this car is cool.

16. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Corvetteguy84</i>
    <b>um.my corvette has already beaten this sledghammer, my vette is a 2001 coupe, supercharged 502, intercooler, custom racing tranny.. ive hit 285 @ 6500 rpm. its pushin 870 hp..</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I'm not saying I don't like Corvettes, it's that it's kinda hard to believe you on this. Okay, what's the final drive on "your" Corvette?<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

Of course it isn't the FAStest car in the world...there are streamliners that race in the saltflats of California that can go at least 100 mph and not khp faster than this car. They are powered by alchohol and multiple engines and transmissions..i don't know any specs...but they are more like rockets than cars. So these aren't included in the top speed list.

18. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

naw, the fastest car in the world is my car. i get it up to 110 hp, get it up to 100 mph, then jump out of an airplane 5 miles up in the air, falling wayyyyy past those other top speeds.

19. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

ok this makes alot of sence you say it is the fastest car in the world but youve never seeen it i think you are a LIAR!!!!
    none can stand a AMERICAN based car is the fastest street legal car if you want speen my uncle has a 69 stingray with a drag in it runes nitromethane and it would eat it but it isnt street legal so shut the F**k up!

American pride!!!!!

20. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

If a American car is the worlds fastest street leagel...i would be scared to sit in the drivers seat. It would fall apart while doing like 250.

21. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

umm you guys are all wrong... the fastest is a the saturn V rocket... it reached 24,500 miles an hour after a return trip from the moon! lol i sjut thought i might point that out.. even though it has nothing to do with this sledgehammer or even cars! haha

but 24,500 miles an hour is mother #$%#ing fast!!!! <!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 944turb0</i>
    <b>If a American car is the worlds fastest street leagel...i would be scared to sit in the drivers seat. It would fall apart while doing like 250.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

hahaha yeah good point! the car would explode under 3000 rpm... to much stress on the engine! lol<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

no one ever said it was the fastest car in the world. fastest street legal car, maybe. but its stupid to compare a thrust to a sledgehammer they are simply not in the same league. sledgehammer you DRIVE on the ROAD. thrust you HOVER in the DESTERT somewhere

24. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

What about the mach 1 cars that go up to 750mph?

25. Re: Not the fastest car in the world.

well boys i tell you what, i'll smoke any of that crap yall talkin about like the spirit of '76 and stuff, yea that's right, in my 1986 chevy nova, painted like the GENERAL LEE, it might not go too fast, but shott i'm a driver and i blow any car off the road, email me at ghettobullrider@hotmail.com if you want some pics of my car, i see yall playas, pease