NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Discussion in '2002 Ford Focus SVT' started by The El Man, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Yes, except it doesn't accelerate from 0-100 faster, you and the other few fanatics are (IMHO) completely FOS about "those comparisons", haven't seen or heard of them yet from any trustworthy source.

Ford themselves announced that the RS was targeted at the STI and EVO. It's also turbocharged running a very high PS, has a racing tuned suspension, and races against the STI and EVO in Group-N class for rally racing (failing miserably at that too).

Once again you fail to understand the higher price of other cars. The cause is overall quality, and handling, overall the Ferrari's are much better cars, whether or not they're faster around a track.

BTW - what would be more awe inspiring to true automotive enthusiasts? being able to say "I own a Ferrari", or saying "I own a Dodge"? Seriously, ask yourself that.

2. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Can you post a link to some results of a Group N Ford Focus please? Never seen them entered in that class.. didnt think there was much point with the 2wd model. If they do compete, it's not really surprising that they dont do very well against 4wd competition.

3. #28 Ford rulez, Apr 14, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Actually it's more in SCCA, and the Canadian rally championships, I'm not sure, but I think they race separately from Subaru and Mitsubishi and Hyundai (believe it or not, the Tiburon actually does quite well, generally only in open class when they can modify the hell out of it though).

I'll post some results later.

Meanwhile, you might be able to find some links on this site: www.rally-live.com

4. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

The reason that the viper is just as fast is because it was built only for speed. Ferraris, on the other hand, were not. I could probably buy a car for 3 grand that could beat a stock viper on the strip. Why? Someone took an old junker, and built it only for speed.

5. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

first point ford created the the class that mitsu and sub are in with the rs, back in the day so it did come first, and yes ford said it would build a car that is 300hp, but this is not it the next jen will have that power and all wheel drive, and in wrc the focus is as good as any car out there and better than subaru by the race last round of he race. it was beating gronholm for crying out loud.
    if you want to know more about what i just said recommend that you download the topgear test on bbc, this car was more than 4sec faster than wrx.

6. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

The RS uses the Duratec engine and not the Zetec so is a lot stronger. Also it kicks the ass of the 'Jap Crap' available around the circuit and as it is just a build up to the Focus Cosworth due in 2005 I am sure Subaru/Mitsibushi will have something to worry about !!!

7. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

LOL your posts are ridiculous, er... what's wrong with "Jap Crap"??? tell me exactly....while you're at it, name ONE Ford engine that can put out 120bhp NA....or ONE Ford engine that can run RELIABLY on 18ps boost.

Anyway, I'm sure the Focus Cosworth will be adequate competition for the STI and EVO, however it's VERY unlikely it will be any better.

BTW - They will have to drastically fix the poor weight distribution of the Focus before that can become a reality.

Edit: sorry, make that 120bhp/L

8. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

im 80% sure the Lightning can take 18 poundss of boost
    and the ford cosworth F1 engines put out over 300 BHP/L

9. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Um, do you have a source showing that the Lightning can handle that much boost, from what I've seen, the Lightning can handle a max of about 12psi boost.

There are a lot of engines that put out that much power for its displacement, however I was referring to engines in street legal, production cars, that would not be worth over $100,000 for the engine alone.

10. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

well maybe, And the Cosworth F1 thing was kinda a joke, there isnt a NA car by ford thats at 120 HP/L, but then again HP/L doesnt matter, so i dont care.

11. #36 Vanilla Ice, Dec 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  12. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

It matters when you want to make a light engine that can be placed well in the drivetrain.

13. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Ummmmm....what's the point of this post?

14. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

"or ONE Ford engine that can run RELIABLY on 18ps boost." 17 is close enough to show its posible.

15. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

Oh....yeah....forgot about that part, sorry.

Out of curiosity though, was that the stock motor, or did he modify the engine to handle that kind of boost? What I meant was, whether the engine could handle that kind of boost pressure from the factory.

16. Re: NOTHIN ON THE FOCUS RS!

I would think so. The 03 Cobra can be built to over 600 RWHP on a stock bottom end. This one was "only" 540, at 17psi, so 18 wouldnt be out of the question either.