Nye Booed for pointing out Moon reflects the Sun

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MR2T, Aug 12, 2007.

1. #1 MR2T, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.duggmirror.com/general_sciences/Bill_Nye_Booed_in_Waco_for_pointing_out_Moon_reflects_the_Sun/

Last week, Bill Nye (The Science Guy) gave a talk at McLennan Community College in Waco, TX. Everything went well at first, until…

The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights — the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.

What’s funny to me is that people would get angry at this, when there are two creation stories. Genesis 1:1 - 2:3 is the first, and a new story begins in Genesis 2:4. In the second story, man is made before anything else, including women. This is in total conflict with the creation order given in the first account, and seems rather in conflict with Genesis 1:27 which, with a close literal interpretation implies that men and women were created at the same time.

You know, when I’m reading literature and I see two different stories back to back, I usually recognize a literary style other than literal history. But it seems that some, like the attendees to Nye’s lectures, wear their sensitivies on their sleeve, looking for their opportunity to cause a scene. Man, it’s embarrassing.

Nye’s website (warning, it’s the most annoying website ever, turn off your speakers or puncture your eardrums) opens with a flash animation of the evolution of man. Perhaps those audience members who got angry should have googled him first. Then they could have gotten angry at home.

2. fundamentalists are ruining this country

3. Lol @ texas

4. RUFL, Americans watch out, keep on going and the Chinese will start laughing at you too

5. WE BELIEVE IN A GOD, THE MOON SHINES ALL BY ITSELF, K?

6. Bill Nye is an asshole.

7. THE MOON IS MADE OF RADIOACTIVE JESUS CHEEESE, THAT IS WHY IT GLOWS

8. no u

9. NO, U R WRONG, THAT IS A NON-LITERAL INTERPRETATION OF 4000 YEAR OLD STORY WRITTEN IN A NON-LITERAL GENRE THAT NO LONGER EXISTS!

10. One of my teachers in high school worked with him for a while, she'd always tell us about his shenanigans. The kids' show was awesome though.

11. That's pretty hilarious. If I were him, I would have just said "Damn, you people are morons" and then walked out.

12. Christianity will be America's downfall.

13. like, seriously.... who are these morons? It's insane!

14. What a bunch of fuucking pussies.

15. Nye seems to have to deal w/ this bullshit a lot when he goes to them there parts.

what i'd like to know is why these apes were going to see Nye in the first place. since they're so deathly allergic to science, why would they even go see the SCIENCE guy in person??

16. Without knowing anything more than what I read in the first post, I'm guessing the people that took issue most with what he said were probably aged 50 years, or older. I don't really buy that they themselves believe - at their age, and with what they've seen and experienced in their lives - that the moon actually generates its own light.

What I can believe, however, is that they want their grandkids to believe in the bible, so they're willing to make themselves look like gigantic, insufferable assholes if it helps convince their young and impressionable grandchildren that the big dumb science man is a heretic who will burn in a lake of fire for eternity, and so will they if they don't believe that the bible is absolutely correct.

Sadly, their grandchildren will probably grow up with a much better understanding of how the world really works, and will let "crazy grandma" languish in a third rate nursing home rather than have to sit through another one of her stories about Jesus and the rapture.

17. third rate nursing homes are amazing

18. he was nominated as seattles most eligable bachelor a few years back. i met him once, cool nerdy dude

19. this just makes us Chriustians look bad despite a very small majority that would even disagree with somethingl ike this. Its ridiculous.

20. Sounds like wizardry to me.

21. so you cant state the obvious anymore? NO the moon doesnt create light and the sun isnt the only sun.

#$%#in idiots, thats why people can laugh at religion because alot of time they demonstrate their pure blindness in the face of modern reality

22. Please.

You don't believe people landed on the moon
    You think something other than an airplane caused 9/11
    You think NASA fakes the color of Mars for some reason
    You believe in every other nonsensical conspiracy regardless of how ridiculous it is to anyone of even a moderate intelligence level.

Everyone laughs at you because alot of time you demonstrate your pure blindness in the face of modern reality.

23. I really don't know anything about Nye, but I'm assuming he's a renowned scientist. He should really stick to scientific facts instead of using his position to publicly take a jab at the bible.

24. lol texas!