omg

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

ok all u idiots going for this gto first off your right the mustang is supercharged and how can u come off syaing a super chartger ise'nt a part of american muscle u know the big blowers sticking out of the tops of the torinos and the chargers and the challengers and the superbirds and the road runners ya those r called superchargers our better put blowers turbos are not part of american muscle i agree but to the person who said put a turbo on the gto 500 hp yadda yadda yadda in the quater mile the stang would still eat it alive whats the rear end in a gto ever hear of turbo lag bottom line is the gto would get smoked not because of the super charger not because of anything else but because theres people out there that r gona by this thing an try to run it up against cobras with 390 hp from the factor so u add 400 bucks in mods bam 425 450 400 bucks in mods in a gto 400 hp the fact is ford is the only company out there that can put out a car with hp without using displacment the ford GT a 5.4 for r retarded friends out there thats only around 347 to 351 ci 500hp 500 ftlbs the cobra 4.6 which ise'nt even a 289 390 hp 390 ftlbs now show me anything thats in producting that can do that in closing i wuld liek to say that hp dont in races torque and grip do so get the hp to the wheels and make the wheels stick then come run against my 03 cobra

2. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

I cant understand either of the last two posts. Please learn to type/think coherently.

3. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Lets not compare the mustang cobra to the 2004 gto lets compare is to a regular vette no need for a z06, mustang's 390 hp can't beat a 350 hp vette ? sad but true, keep craming supercharger garbage in yur car boys!

4. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

'03 Mustang Cobras trounce C5 Vetts.

Road and Track:
    C5 1320 13.4
    SVT 1320 13.3

Motor Tend ran a 12.84 in the SVT, a 13.1 in the Vette.

Car and Driver ran a 13.1 in the C5 aniversary as well. And a 12.9 in the SVT. The Cobra is also turning out to be a good handler too. it pulles something in the realm of a .9 on the skid versus a .92 for the Vette.

not bad considering it costs about 35K to 40K against the base Vettes 45K to 55K.

5. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

GTO.

6. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

hardly call .1 of a second a touncing and the gto will be about that quick anyway

7. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

I'd bet that this GTO has hella nice interior compared to a Mustang. Also I believe that 0-60 in 5.3 and 13.66 1/4 is good.

8. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

I'd bet that this GTO has hella nice interior compared to a Mustang. Also I believe that 0-60 in 5.3 and 13.66 1/4 is good.

9. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

the interior in the gto is very nice and the mustang interior is terrible so gto has an advantage there

10. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Wow if I was a die hard ford freak I would not even mention the cobra
    as a competitive muscle car. Sure it has 390hp but who cares. It should have 550hp with 32v and a supercharger and lol an intercooler(so surprised it doesnt have NO2 and hell why not TWIN TURBOS if it were possible, from the factory)4.6L compared to a 5.7L if dynamics were discussed with all the power adders it wouldn't be an issue either .Besides that engine is HUGE it looks like a #$%#in big block. Cobra wghs in at around 3600lbs, 100lbs less than the 2004 GOAT but most ford guys are chubby so that puts the new GOAT at 50lbs lighter at least lol. Remember the ZR1 it had the 32V LT5 and it had around 400hp but that was a fussy hard to upkeep beast. Just an example of GM trying new things, but since then the new gen blocks of the 90's are amazing for what they are 16V pushrods. So in my opinion the cobra and the GTO are not comparable. the GTO is MSRP 31K US the GT is more in its range only because of its powertrain and first 2 letters GT, not performance if the GTO had 275hp would you still compare the 2? Or would it compare to the GT? Ya. Stupid isn't it. Besides the GTO is a proven world class performance SEDAN usually compared to Mercedes BMW and Audi in Australia. To Compare it to a ford is below its status. Sorry IMHO

11. #86 defaultchoice, Nov 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

I just got these stats from this website

Power and Torque
    The LS1 powerplant is being rated at 350 horsepower at 5,200 rpm with 365 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. "Someone has spent a lot of time taking a proven engine known for it's high end and moved the torque down to a driveable level. And you can overpower the new "tiger paws" and burn rubber with the low-end torque."

Backing up the LS1 is either a 4-speed automatic or a 6-speed manual. The manual is the same 6-speed used in the ZO6. This is the heavy duty, close ratio version with a 2.91 first gear and 5th and 6th being overdriven. Regardless of the transmission selected, the GTO comes with a 3.46 rear axle.

Acceleration and braking is done on 17x8-inch wheels wrapped in Eagle RSA 225/50R17 tires. Jim had no problem bringing the car down to a safe stop from 100 mph several times repeatedly without any soft pedal. "I was half expecting to drive a "Car and Driver" prepped "Royal Bobcat" GTO like the days of old of the famed 1964 Ferrari comparison. This was no prepped car, but it sure drives like one."

Impression
    Based on his years of testing and being behind the wheel of much muscle, Wangers said that with a practiced foot and a stickier tire, the car he drove could run a 0-60 mph in the low 5-second range, and is capable of dipping into the high 12s at maybe 107 mph in the 1/4 mile. And with slicks?

"Directional stability and evasive reaction capabilities were really great... Though I am no road racer, I get dizzy doing a slalom, but give me a straightaway and the old drag racer came out. I ran it through the gears, power shifting, but missed a shift and banged the limiter. Later they found out that two valves were kissed and bent." (I told you he broke it!)

Wangers can't wait to add another GTO to his collection. And if you've ever seen his collection, you can bet it'll be red. "I think that once you settle in behind the wheel and go through the gears, (you'll) forget about it not having hood scoops and exhausts that exit at both sides. Bring on the Mustang Cobras, the Chrysler Hemis, the popular priced BMWs and even the Motor Trend Car of the Year Infiniti G35! There ain't nothing within $20,000 of this car that's going to match its performance."

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tips/automedia_html/pht/PHT200307014G/index.html?page=/howtos_tips/automedia_html/pht/PHT200307014G/PHT200307014G.htm

12. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

the person who wrote that article couldnt be more right, there is nothing that will match the performance of it for the price it is. and bonnet scoops are ugly anyway so they way it turned out was as good as possible without just having the original monaro.

and the mustang is not as good, the interior and build quality in them is horrible and it needs a blower to be competitive

13. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Compare you peice of push rod poo Z06, 6.6 Gen IV two valve, agianst a Ford GT 5.4 supercharched V8, the fact that they are supercharging is irelivent make a 6.6 none supercharged version with DOHC five valves all the same specs bar capasity, your GM engines are oversived and under powered

so the 360kw z06 agianst a 373kw Ford GT

Ford could get one of those 7.3 leter block from a F350 make it petrol stick 5 valves with DOHC we got over 440Kw

14. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Compare you peice of push rod poo Z06, 6.6 Gen IV two valve, agianst a Ford GT 5.4 supercharched V8, the fact that they are supercharging is irelivent make a 6.6 none supercharged version with DOHC five valves all the same specs bar capasity, your GM engines are oversived and under powered

so the 360kw z06 agianst a 373kw Ford GT

Ford could get one of those 7.3 leter block from a F350 make it petrol stick 5 valves with DOHC we got over 440Kw

15. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Wow that last post was stupid. First what are u talking about 6.6 hope u didnt mean 6.6L cause its a 5.7L twin of the LS1 just tweaked a little to 385-405hp I give it that rating cause Ive seen the specs being either 385 or 405hp. So how can you still hang on to the Ford dream of making high horse powerplants. 390hp in the cobra is weak no matter how you look at it, its almost the same as the GM PUSHROD POO you refer to. And its not overly packed with poweradding CRAP like a blower. IF IF IF IF IF ya alot of IF's but were talking about reality here. who cares about a frickin FORD GT can you buy one I cant I could buy a GTO or a Z06 but not a P.O.S. ford GT if I had that much$$$ to blow on a supercar I'd buy a TVR Tuscan-R. Whats next u gunna compare the Z06 and GTO to a 911 TT. Come on why not compare it to an ENZO or a TVR Tuscan-R. Please kill this thread it getting retarded I thought it was a COBRA vs GTO thread. By comparing the Z06 to a GT it makes this Z06 look like a real force to be rekoned with especially if you look at the price tags. If you have to compare the Z06 to a car thats way over twice the price then it dosent say much at all for FORD. LOL

16. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

FORD SUCKS, IMPORTS SUCK, DODGE SUCK. GM PUTS OUT THE POWER. COMPARING THE COBRA TO THE NEW GTO IS ALRIGHT CAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT IF PONTIAC SLAPS A SUPERCHARGER ON THE GTO IT'LL SMOKE THE COBRA EASILY AFTER ALL THE COBRA WITHOUT A SUPERCHARGER ONLY PRODUCED 320 BHP AND GTO COMES WITH 350 BHP AND ITS A NEW CAR. IT TOOK FORD OVER A DECADE TO PUT A SUPERCHARGER ON THE COBRA.

17. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

And um fords 5.4 can produce 320kw with no turbo or supercharger, and the GTO will not get a supercharger on it. fords 5.4 from there trucks. whats wrong with you, shore i can admit a 8.0 liter V10 viper produces 372.9kw, thats bad.

and if you say the GTO witha supercharger the Ford GT can go to 460kw thats Kw not hp. And sorry all holden fans it is a Holden not a vette or pontiac, the cabin sucks ass with no class these base falcons that nearly have more style.

Stop living in the past, so ford WILL make GT350 and GT500 with a SC V8 and V10 and it will come with a shelbey version.

Fords GT already kicks any GM CRAP MADE

18. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

GTO will not get a supercharger on it? ive seen blown monaros with over 500kw so your wrong there.

"And sorry all holden fans it is a Holden not a vette or pontiac" trust me this is a good thing, the cabin is very good and holden make the best large rwd platform for gm so theres nothing wrong with that

19. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Just have to ask... Would you GTO fans like me to take the supercharger off of my '03 Cobra? Would that make you happy? That's fine by me. Really is. But, that doesn't mean that I won't do a little welding and such...moving things around. I'm thinking...a 351. And yeah, Ford has a 351 right now. It's a v-10, but a 351 nevertheless. Your 5.7 vs my 5.8? A little better a comparison? Heads up though. My 432 hp and 402 lb/ft of torque will decimate your beloved LS-1. Ran in the new gen Mustang body, the engine pushed the car to a 12.28 quarter mile at 117.50 mph. On street tires, might I add.

20. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

(writen by my 6yr old son)
    You guys are stupid heads.
    lol
    he wants to put that new cadillac 1000hp 16 POWERPLANT in his mustang powerwheels, he says it just lacks some serious power.

Jeez, If ya have to do that to ur Ford its time to finally grow up and buy a GM thats what I tell him, but hes only 6. He just likes to fit in with all the other kids, you know.

A good friend and fellow track junkie is driving his new black GTO around and the first day he had it he drove it to my shop so we could drool over it. I dont like the front fascia to be honest they messed that up big time but under the hood and on the hoist was where it shined. the interior is very very nice too. fit like a glove, now I want one. We made a new intake from left over parts from my 98 formula and reprogramed it and did a couple other things. All Ive read in this forum is smack talk and THEORIES. Well Ive actually drove one and yes.... IT MOVES. Ive driven my girlfriends 03 Cobra TOO many times and this is too close for comfort. We gained an easy 40hp in tweaks and noticed a huge difference in tq. I was expecting it to feel close to a f-body but it pulled alittle different seemed to have more bottom end and steady pull(from the weight placement and independant rear maybe?)and it hooks up alittle better than the Cobra. I can compare the 2 cause Ive driven them both! And i like the Cobra but.....the GTO doesnt feel cheap and it handles better and after the mods.....well now its on and I think the GTO will walk our Cobra.
    So...with that said enough with the smack talk and lets race.

21. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

Hey, I've got a crazy idea. How about stop all this flaming and step back for a second and at least give some acknowledgement to all the American car makers who are trying to bring back the age of the muscle car. Sure vehicles like the GTO are fresh in from Austrailia but the reason that GM is not putting a lot of money or time into it yet is to see what kind of market there is for it. They don't know if it will sell worth a damn over here or not. Why bother to put all the time effort and manpower into something right from the get go if it won't even sell. The Mustang has been around for a long time and I do firmly believe that ending the Firebird and Camaro line-up will be a mistake that will cost GM dearly.

The GTO is just a barebones version for now. Give it time and I guarantee that Pontiac will really add up the performance and breath fire into an old classic brought to the new age. Look around. The new C6, probably the fastest production Corvette ever made, the 2003 Mustang Cobra, the fastest production Mustang in history, hell even Mopar brought back the Hemi's. Sure they're in SUV's right now but I think Dodge has something on the horizon. Look at the vehicels as they are now. Look at what they almost became in the dark ages between the late 70's and through the latter part of the 80's. Give the GTO time to mature.

Welcome to the new age of the muscle car. They're more powerful and have at least the automakers have made an attempt to maintain their heritage. The muscle car is something that should be celebrated by all American muscle enthusiasts. I don't care what anyone drives and I don't worry about whos got more power. Let the muscle car live and let our hertiage live with it.

Say as you will. I stand behind all muscle cars.

22. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

well if your going to mod the GTO why not mod the Cobra too...Realize that simple and inexpensive mods to the cobra can take that car to close to 450RWHP. Just be taking the air filter off..you can manage 20rwhp. Now im not taking anything away from the GTO cause Im a die hard muscle car fan, but you just contradicted yourself, by stating that people in this forum just talk smack and theories, which is what your doing by stating that you think you can walk all over the cobra because you did some modz and that it can outhandle the cobra as well.

23. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

this car looks too much like a grand prix coupe. I love the interior but i wish the exterior was more dynamic. Perhaps if they accentuate the front fenders a bit more I would love this more than i do now.

24. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

I don't see why a comparison can't be drawn between the GTO and the Mustang. I am not a fan of Fords, and really hope to never be, but I can still recognize the achievements they have made. So what if the Mustang has a supercharger? That's the way the vehicle came off the line. GM could have done the same thing, but instead went another route. GM decided to put a tough engine under the hood. No Matter what the decision, both cars make power. Based on Sheer horsepower, the GTO makes more than the Mustang with a 4.6, but the Mustang is a tested car, while the new GTO is based on the Monaro which hasn't been around near as long. An article in a Car and driver, or something along those lines, said the GTO hasn't had many alterations with the exception of the engine. They specifically pointed out the lack of work to the suspension. So I would rate the Mustang ahead in terms of handling. Both cars exist in the same class and should be compared as such. I think the GTO is a better vehicle, but mustangs have their own place. It just happens to be behind GM, and we can all be happy with that.

25. Re: It's not fair compareing the gto to a mustang cobra.

WHAT THE HELL!!! I hate it when CHEVY FANS BAG ON FORD AND FORD FANS BAG ON CHEVY

I AM PERSONALLY A CHEVY FAN, BUT FORD TRUCKS ARE BETTER THAN CHEVY when it comes to f150 and 1500 BUT DURAMAX DIESELS AND BANKS OR POWERSTROKE ARE BOTH LIKED BY ME EQUALLY

anyways the point is Be happy ITS AN AMERICAN CAR AND NOT A JAP IMPORT PIECE OF CRAP

BUICK GNX will KILL SKYLINE

THE GTO IS NICE, I LIKE IT.....THERE WAS ONE AT IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY IN IRWINDALE CA

ITS AN 1/8 mile trackk it ran 9.2s

THE NEXT WEEK IT CAME AND DID 7.9s SO THAT GOT MODIFIED CRAZY!!!

COBRAS RUN 8.6 with slicks 1/8s LIGHTINGS RUN 8.9s with slicks

JUST RANDOM STATS FOR U

BUT MAINLY MY MESSAGE WAS AMERICAN CARS RULE JAPS SUCK...AND LET FORD MAKE AN ONLY ENGINE POWERED CAR(no supercharger) that competes with the GTO(excluding the Cobra R) (ALSO THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SUPERCHARGER) I said that so u can put Cobra and GTO in the same catagory

BASICALLY: U can compare the Cobra with GTO if FORD uses a 5.4(330) liter or 5.8(351)liter(in the cobra instead of 4.6 supercharged)engine AGAINST A 5.7(350) liter GM engine(GTO)

`