performance

Discussion in '2002 MINI Cooper S' started by Homey, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: performance

hahahahhaha this car is a joke LOL<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: performance

Not everyone wants it to be a race car...so leave the turbos out of the question...it's fine as it is

3. Re: performance

did bmw make this and if they did WHY!!!!!

4. Re: performance

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NachtGT</i>
    <b>Because, 1. Turbos suck. 2. The US's anal emissions requirements. For smooth application of power, supercharging is the best. Turbos need to spool up.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A properly sized turbo is the most efficient means of forced induction. A supercharger saps engine power to make boost, while a turbocharger uses exhaust to force induction without using the engine's twist. If the turbo is the right size (VERY important), there is no lag and low end torque is not affected.

Also, for those who might say "throw twin turbos on it"... twin turbos are only effective on engines in a "V" configuration, i.e. one turbo for each bank of cylinders. This means that the turbos each have the same distance to their affected (pressurized) cylinders. On an inline engine, twin turbos are usually pointless (notable exceptions include the Toyota Supra Turbo's inline 6, and others, I'm sure). More useable power can be had from one turbo.

The problem with this engine is that it's Chrysler-designed. Before the Daimler-Benz/Chrysler merger, BMW and Chrysler were best friends. With unfortunate consequences. I hope that BMW will eventually throw in the I4 they are designing for the next-gen M Coupe/Roadster. Or at least a detuned version.

Give me German engineering over Chrysler (and BMW, 'cos they used it) cost-cutting.

5. why didn't they turbocharged it and give it a performance air filter and exhaust so 0-60 takes around 5 seconds...<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: performance

What bothers me the most about this car is the fact that they made it so bleeding heavy for a car of that size. The performance would be so much better if the car didn't weigh so much. Otherwise I think its a very nice vehicle.

7. Re: performance

the saftey features are weighing it down a great deal. its got like a dozen airbags or something.

8. Re: performance

This car is one of the ugliest ive seen! it looks like a lowered van with low profile tires and a scoop on the hood and personaly, i think my mom's Dodge Carivan looks 100x nicer

9. Re: performance

why not add a twin turbo??...that'll cut lag and pump more power than superchargers.....give it VTEC and it'll be classic

10. Re: performance

Because, 1. Turbos suck. 2. The US's anal emissions requirements. For smooth application of power, supercharging is the best. Turbos need to spool up.

11. Re: performance

Superchargers are more reliable, but come on how far can a stock S/C go? And turbo spool up is practibally non-existant with a ball bearing setup. we are talking full boost at like 2,500rpm. I know that superchargers are a instant boost item, but a turbo is unmached in performance, even if you have to take care of it more.

12. #12 mmmmdonuts, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: performance

I have read rumours (on www.mini2.co.uk) that John Cooper's company will be producing a Cooper S works with between 200 and 215 bhp, and also that Alpina will be modifying a mini with as yet unknown performance. Cooper works will also be producing club sport minis with bodykits, engine modifications and even roll cages. Details of that are on www.johncooper.co.uk.

I just wish they would hurry up and release them.

13. #13 mmmmdonuts, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  14. Re: performance

the car performance is cool, is like the same as a new civic vtec s...it could be better if they take of some safety features... maybe the car weight is cause by his rigid structure, i read that is like 50% more rigid than a bmw 3series...i would like to see alpina modifiying this baby (wolf in sheep clothing)...

p.s.:SoggyWhenWet i would like to see yourŽs mom's Dodge Carivan trying to catch this piece of art in traffic...whoosh...donŽt even think about it...no chance...

15. Re: performance

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Irwind</i>
    <b>why not add a twin turbo??...that'll cut lag and pump more power than superchargers.....give it VTEC and it'll be classic</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Can't do twin turbos because the heat would melt the poor thing.
    Still, its a damn good performer as it is.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: performance

ok heres the deal a turbo+supercharged car the supercharger speeds up the air b4 it gets to the turbo... result no lag and very fast car but i still think it should have a hi-grade exhaust to give 5-8 more ponies (thats a lot for an exhaust) and a ITG filter system (adds 20 more ponies) made from carbon fibre and a stripped out interor with all the safety crap removed give it manesium alloy rims strip out the seats and just get one carbon fibre one. then call it the mini cooper ST (super-turbo).

Better still all the above plus a nitrogen turbo.

Result car weighs half as much and has 285 to 300 more odd ponies! and cost around 25,0000 pounds. 0-60 4.0 top speed: 190mph (no **** it is possible)

SO SUCK ON THAT MR COOPER!

<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: performance

yes BMW did it.
    The Mini is a classic, it exists for 50 years or so. BMW bought the brand, and for the first time created a brand new Mini. And they did a great job. This car is designed in the spirit of the original Mini - Like it or not, it a classic peace or art.
    Maybe it's a bit heavy, but the rumor says that this is the best front-wheel driven chasis ever made...
    This is probably more fun to drive than anything even close in the price range, and this has SO much style. You can't ignore it, wheter you like it or not.
    Plus you have the quality and reliability of a BMW.
    What more do you need???
    Oh, yeh, 300 HP. But even now, great car all the way.

18. Re: performance

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Gringo</i>
    <b>yes BMW did it.
    The Mini is a classic, it exists for 50 years or so. BMW bought the brand, and for the first time created a brand new Mini. And they did a great job. This car is designed in the spirit of the original Mini - Like it or not, it a classic peace or art.
    Maybe it's a bit heavy, but the rumor says that this is the best front-wheel driven chasis ever made...
    This is probably more fun to drive than anything even close in the price range, and this has SO much style. You can't ignore it, wheter you like it or not.
    Plus you have the quality and reliability of a BMW.
    What more do you need???
    Oh, yeh, 300 HP. But even now, great car all the way.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->sorry we don't have cars like this in America...and this about its got bmw quality? um bmwz quality is ok to good quality but its not the best.

19. Re: performance

I read that the stock Cooper does the slalom at 68mph (R&T, anyone have the real number?)...I wonder what the S will do.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: performance

I work at a MINI dealer and I drive this car daily with my customers, I have to say that the low end torque is very very satisfying, but the engine does not rev worth sh*t, even the naturally aspirated base cooper doesn't like to rev too much. It's still a fun car to drive, high manouverability and awesome gearbox.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: performance

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Louis XIII</i>
    <b>I work at a MINI dealer and I drive this car daily with my customers, I have to say that the low end torque is very very satisfying, but the engine does not rev worth sh*t, even the naturally aspirated base cooper doesn't like to rev too much. It's still a fun car to drive, high manouverability and awesome gearbox.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    ah an intelligent man who can actually speak from personal experience, unlike the idiotic #%$gots and bigots in here who just like to knock it because it disturbs them that it might somehow compete with their overblown jap and italian bricks on barrels.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: performance

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RacePhreak13</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Louis XIII</i>
    <b>I work at a MINI dealer and I drive this car daily with my customers, I have to say that the low end torque is very very satisfying, but the engine does not rev worth sh*t, even the naturally aspirated base cooper doesn't like to rev too much. It's still a fun car to drive, high manouverability and awesome gearbox.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    ah an intelligent man who can actually speak from personal experience, unlike the idiotic #%$gots and bigots in here who just like to knock it because it disturbs them that it might somehow compete with their overblown jap and italian bricks on barrels.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->unlike the idiotic #%$ots and BIGOTS! Excuse me! Who the hell is the bigot here? Maybe it's the one calling people idiotic #%$ots. <!-- Signature -->