Photography thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by basman007, May 5, 2016.

1. Mountain landscapes are epic. Much too flat scenery where I live.

2. More often than not I prefer more reach. I sold my 40mm (didnt like the perspective), and sold my 85mm mostly to fund getting the 24-70. Even now I think I would be happy just shooting with a 135mm F/2. I'm not a big fan of the wide angle look.. I should just pony up the dough and buy a 70-200mm

WhiteChocolateWorld likes this.
  3. The nifty 50 is my go-to

I did have a 24-120 for the Nikon that I used as my everyday Lens just because it covered "wide enough" to "Tele enough" for most street/candid stuff, but over the years I've learned to prefer a prime.

4. My two compacts have 28mm equivalent lenses. For my DSLR, I frequently used the 28mm f/1.8, and later a 40mm f/2.8 pancake. I toyed with the idea of getting a Fuji X100T that has a 35mm lens. But I don't need more cameras, ffs.

So yeah, 28mm and 35mm are the focal lengths to go for me. Anything beyond 50mm feels too narrow and weird to use.

5. Took this one with my phone 21687088_10159345324090123_6765964087206935025_o.jpg

6. I never realized all of Pittsburgh's bridges were banana yellow.

7. Yea people are nuts over black and yellow here. Before coming here I personally didnt know that bridges aparently light on fire.

8. What do you mean "light on fire"?

Also, your signature is whack.

Attached Files:

9. Not sure how the fact that one of the bridges caught fire on February has anything to do with your (great) photo and the banana yellow bridges, but OK!

10. #187 WhiteChocolateWorld, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Got to have my first go with my tripod and some low light/long exposure settings. Really winged it without much research or a game-plan but I was able to make sense of the incremental changes after a while. I wish I could upload a full resolution file somehow. Flickr seems to downscale it to 2048x1367 from the original 6016x4016.

This is a corner of my grandfather's garage exactly how he left it before his passing in 2004. He was in poor health for a while so I would venture to say that this has been relatively undisturbed since well before the year 2000. The wall to the right is just as neat - so many different cans and bottles and items and home-made contraptions. It humbles me, the things he was able to do with his brain and his hands. A relic from a past generation.

[​IMG]

Here's a 100% crop of the original. Although I'm bummed that the jpeg doesn't show nearly the detail that the RAW file does. Anyone have any tips for exporting from Photoshop? I use jpeg 100% quality... is that as good as it's gonna get?

[​IMG]

11. i think .eps or something is the best you can get, but you can't really open it with anything.

12. These are really emotive photographs. I'm a huge believer in series of images, and you could do series of photos about your grandfather workshop and maybe other items that he left (say a car, a house, his bedroom). They would make a very beautiful series, I believe.

And I think the quality and the detail of the images is pretty good. If you want to be really anal you can try other raw converters that yield more detail, like DxO or RawTherapee. Or just download the Nik plugin package, and use their sharpening tool on the jpeg. That crisps things up.

13. Nice pic and sentiment.
    It makes you think within its context.

14. On the topic of producing series of images: for the past 2 years I've been taking photos with a theme in mind, and last month I finally edited them in a massive book with 212 pages. Seeing your pictures printed in a book is a cool phenomenon:

IMG_8667.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

IMG_8673.jpg
    IMG_8681.jpg
    IMG_8683.jpg

I made this book with Blurb. I produced a second book dealing with themes of surveillance and documenting the shitload of security cameras that we have around our university campus, it should be arriving next week. I'm pretty stoked about producing a third book of urban night photographs mixed with these very overexposed natural landscapes.

I can see myself producing a lot of books for my own leisure, and spending a good amount of money on them. But it's better than spending money with gear that I'll never use :p

15. Hey thanks man. I took about 20 different pictures before I realized nearly 3 hours went by. I wish I had the time that night to shoot the rest, maybe I'll be able to after too long. Just a lot of cool stuff as you saw. Also thanks for the tip about DxO & co. Also that book is awesome, just saw your post. How much did that run you? How many pages?

16. I might get flack for this, but honestly it's my 20/2.8. And my camera is full-frame, so pretty much wide as all hell.

17. jpeg compression is lossy, so there is a limit to how good it will get. Several other formats, like eps and tiff, are technically just containers that can be either lossy or lossless depending on the options you tick. tiff allows zip compression, which is lossless and okay for most things. png is also lossless, but is not so efficient for photographs and works best with line drawings and the like.

18. I get it for sure, I love my 24-85 but it's a bit slower than yours. It's also the only one I have a polarizing filter for, so I like to use that the most if I'm shooting a lot of things with sky/reflections. I want to get some step-down rings to fit it on my 50 but I don't think it's hood will fit then. Always something.

Thanks, I knew it was lossy but this is really my first time messing with RAW so I wasn't sure what to expect and what is normal for exporting. I'll have to try to explore with those other extensions to see what's best for me.

19. Jpeg should be fine if you don't keep overwriting the file several times. In fact, you'd have to go ballistic with multiple overwritings in order to degrade the image quality of the highest quality Photoshop jpeg compression.

I converted all my raws to lossless tiff for my book, and I couldn't see a difference between them and the highest quality jpegs.

20. What you do need to do, however, is sharpen your raw images. Jpegs out of the camera come with sharpening, raws don't, and therefore they can look softer and as if they are rendering less detail.

21. One week went by, and all the leaves in the tree's decided to disappear I went back to the campsite I was at earlier, and manged to catch the sunset. Only way to add colour to the now lifeless trees. At least until the hoarfrost starts doing it's thing in a few weeks.
    [​IMG]

Tree Fitty likes this.
  22. This thread reminds me that I still have a bunch of photos to go through and upload. A bunch of stuff from Donington Park, as well as a Ferrari event I went to. Also my Chicago shots from July, and my New York stuff from 2015...

To put this into perspective I still have 18-20 rolls of 120 film from 2010 that need developing. I don't have high hopes for them. At least they'll be good to use for practice.

23. Maybe a week early for the full fall colors.

[​IMG]

IdoL and WhiteChocolateWorld like this.