Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

Discussion in '1999 Blitz Skyline GT-R R348' started by Godspd, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I was just readig a web page about the the unbeliable Porsche 959 turbo that came out I belive in 1986 and believed by many to be the best Porsche ever. Well it was the first supercar car to have a advanced 4wd system called the PSK (Porsche-Steuer Kupplung. This system is said to be unlike no others, where PSK is the only one which could vary the front / rear torque split ratio under normal running condition, while other designs can only vary when tire slip occurs, such as the ATTESA-ETS system(Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split).

Now I am just wondering did Nissan use some off this technology from Porsche as the GTR R32 was released in production in 1989 after the Prosche, in that given the fact the 'foundational' principle behind the Attesa system is similar to that of the PSK system in the aspect of varying the torque ratios. Or was it the other way around that Porsche some how got their hand on Nissan's technology as the GTR R32 although came into production in 1989 its development began obviously a few years before 1989. Or they both just developed their own different kinds of advanced 4wd technology independently?

Apart from that, which one do you think would come out as a better/superior handling system, the PSK or the ATTESA-ETS system.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

the attesa system also has i think 16 different road conditions that it can sense and change its awd system from. approaching a corner if oversteer is needed it can direct one of its wheels to go backwards and create a slip giving it hte flexibility of a rwd car, or so i've read.

doesn't the stock r33 have a faster time at nurburging than the porsche 911 turbo?

3. #3 Godspd, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blaze4eva</i>
    <b>the attesa system also has i think 16 different road conditions that it can sense and change its awd system from. approaching a corner if oversteer is needed it can direct one of its wheels to go backwards and create a slip giving it hte flexibility of a rwd car, or so i've read.

doesn't the stock r33 have a faster time at nurburging than the porsche 911 turbo?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hmmm..16 different road conditions..interesting, I dont think I have read that one before.

The Nissan GTR R33 in 1995 did set an 'unoffical' production car lap record at Nurburgring and show the world what it can really do and in turn stunned many sport car manufactures. But alot people cannot accept the fact that the GTR was in 'production' trim and disputs its reputation for this achievement.

It was not until later on, that currently the Prosche 911 turbo broke the 8 min barrier, but it did so by a big margin.

All in all the Nissan GTR and the Porsche Turbo varients are the best tool for the most demanding track on earth, that is Nurburing.

Here is a little discussion about the GTR and Nurburgring ;)

http://www.supercars.net/cMsg?viewThread=true&bottom=30&year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Viper%20GTS&fn=39 <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

It will not direct a wheel to spin backwards, it doesn't have any presets for road conditions.

It detects a wheel/s spinning (faster or slower than the others) and puts the power going to that wheel to the other wheels which hopefully have better traction. It also uses G sensors to decide which way the car is heading and will use this to calculate what it should do with the 4wd system.

The GT-R is rear wheel drive until the rear wheels lose traction in which case it will use a hydraulic pump to lock the center diff to trasfer power to the front wheels, this lock can vary depending on the G's and amount of traction lose at the time.

5. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

yah i've read when you slalom this car you can constantly feel the awd changing.

6. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

by the way. jgtc skylines use rwd not awd.

7. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

good comparison but the porsche would come on top. Its a much better developed car.

8. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

ATTESA ETS pro is the best 4WD system ever IMO. The only problem with that hydraulic system is that it is slightly too slow if you have a very powerful drag Skyline. when the wheels lose grip, by the time the 4WD has transferred some torque to the front wheels it is too late. because of this some people use a fixed torque split so that this problem does not occur.

9. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

The Porsche 959 system, like the Skyline's, uses multiple clutches to trasnsfer torque between the front and rear wheels, six for the Skyline vs 8 for the 959. Under normal driving conditions, the Skyline's power is 100% to the rear whees, and can then transfer up to 50% of the power from the rear wheels to the front when it detects slip. The 959 regular torque split is 40/60 between front/rear, and upto 50/50 under slippery conditions, determined by a computer that measures throttle position, steering angle, g force and even turbo boost. There is also no 16 variable settings for the Skyline.

Also, as far as I know, the Nissan engineers develpoed their AWD system seperately from the 959, as I doubt they would of had time to steal the 959's technology, mess with it significantly as they did, and put out their own car in the 3 year period of the time between the 959 prototype in 1986 and the 1989 release of the ATTESA-ETS equiped Skyline.

The Skyline did hold the production car record for the Nurburring(spell?) for some time (don't know how long) it was though, dethroned by a 911 GT3(the race version of the 911).

A similar AWD system was also employed on the Bugatti EB110, although I dont know whether it was with clutches like the 959 and Skyline. It initially split the torque 23/77 (f/r), again up to 50/50 when wheel spin was noticed

An interesting fact about the 959, is that Porsche built it to be a technology study rather than just another supercar. Since they were earning more and more profit from the success of 924 / 944 series, they generously poured in excess of $100 million US dollars into the project, most went to the development of advanced 4-wheel drive, engine, aerodynamics and advanced materials. Porsche believed most of these technologies would benefit production models in the future, or at least keep their engineers state-of-the-art. Each car also cost around $530,000 to produce, and selling it for $225,000 made Porsche loose around $70 mil in the 230 production run.

PS all i do is read on this type of shit all day

10. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

Skyline WINS!
    0-400 M. the Skyline would beat Porsche off!
    0-1000 M. Also Skyline

0-5000 M. The Skyline would have reach the topspeed
    ad over 300 km/h. The Porsche would drive about 240 km/h.

11. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

we're taling about the all wheel drive systems, and handling not smoky burnouts and straight line accel.

12. Re: Porche's PSK 4WD vs Skyline GTR's ATTESA 4WD

the skyline system is the best in the world