Porsche 918 latest news.

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by RLQ, Mar 22, 2011.

1. #1 RLQ, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Getting a 918 Spyder out of Porsche's supercar death-grip is going to take some serious doing. First of all, you have to come up with the $845,000 Porsche is asking for the car in the U.S. and Canada, not including destination charges. Once you've gotten over that little hurdle, you'll need to find a Porsche dealer authorized to sell the 918.

According to Porsche, you can buy a 918 Spyder from any Porsche dealer anywhere in the world, provided they've signed a participation agreement with Porsche. Details are few and far between on what that agreement entails. What Porsche is saying, though, is how dealers who sign the agreement will order their cars.

Dealers who want to place an order for a 918 will have to submit an "Allocation Request Form." Porsche will reply with an "Allocation Response Form," which tells the dealer whether there's a car available for them. Once that's done, the dealer submits an order form, along with a $200,000 down payment. Porsche will respond with a confirmation and an estimated month for production.

The next step is another $200,000 deposit 12 months before the production date. The balance – $445,000 plus shipping, if you're counting – is due when Porsche says the car is done. Porsche says the car will not be shipped until it has been paid for in full. The reason, apparently, is that it won't be building any of the hyper-expensive 918s on speculation, and that each car needs to have an owner before it is built.

Despite all that rigamarole, we'll bet Porsche sells out of these things quickly, even if the production shape is yet to surface.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/21/how-porsche-dealers-will-order-the-918-spyder/

I cannot wait to see the production version.

2. Porche is gay.

3. That seems pretty Ferrari-ish of them.

4. Not surprising considering how they overestimated demand with the Carrera GT.

8. i might see one irl :3

10. Ordered one.

11. wait, the dealer has to TELL THE FACTORY THEY WANT TO ORDER A CAR? and they want A CUSTOMER TO BUY IT BEFORE ITS BUILT?

seriously how is this newsworthy? complete and total norm for supercars. Theyre built to order. Them having to ask to be a certified dealer is also a total norm which I bet many will opt out of. Typically this has to do with getting service which can actually work on them, which is expensive for both training, custom tools, and down time for the mechanics for a car they may only see a few of.

13. STFU haters.

14. Rather have a GT3 RS than this junk.

15. To celebrate the launch of the 918 Spyder, Porsche is offering a special edition of the 911 Turbo S. Called, appropriately enough, the 911 Turbo S "Edition 918 Spyder", it's essentially the same as the standard Turbo S, only with some extra decals, special colors and unique trim. The model will be available exclusively to customers ordering the 918 Spyder, can be had in either coupe or convertible, and carries the same sticker price as a standard 911 Turbo S.

LOL!

16. It's just a glorified beetle.

17. An exciting glorified Beetle!

18. FAN BOY

19. Also lol @ $845k for a glorified Prius.

20. I like all the bueracracy that surrounds having to buy a hypercar

21. loooooooooooooool

22. best porsche
    ever

23. wow....i wish that was a joke.