Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

Discussion in '2001 Honda NSX-R Concept' started by Zanardi 50, Aug 9, 2002.

1. #1 Zanardi 50, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

WHat I don't understand is how they complain that the V8 might get worse gas mileage when in Fact already the V6's mileage is not very good to start. It is 17/24 with the V6 while the Corvette huge V8 gets 19/28.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

Simple. The higher output (higher tech) NSX has higher compression ratio than the Corvette or any American Muscle, which are known to have larger displacement BUT lower compression ratio pushrod engine ,ie., lower tech. There's a system that Honda had incorporated into their high tech, high revving, high-output VTEC engines that utilizes a secondary source of fuel-air feed into the combustion chambers that provided 2 different layers of air-fuel mixture. One fuel injector provides lean (thin) air-fuel mixture, and the other injector provides the rich (thick) mixture. The reason for such complicated and expensive to manufacture system is to maximize and optimize fuel combustion and therefore puts out more fuller, cleaner, and therefore more powerful combustion. I could go on explaining how's and why's of all of this, but it's going to take me a good amount of time and typing space to put it in layman's terms. Sorry I gotta cut it short.

4. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

Hybrid eletric-power provides instantneous torque, so I would say that is a good thing, cause low-end torque combined with high hp in the high RPMs sounds good. Honda's great at maximizing what you get in a small package, so no doubt a hybrid would be following there design philosophy.

5. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

On another note, since Honda has become an engine supplier for the IRL, which uses 3.5L V8s, things will have changed things?

6. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

right. fuel efficiency and thermal effiency are two completely different things. the corvette does get good mileage, but the japanese develop their cars basd upon thermal efficiency as in how much you get out versus how much you put in. look at the supra exhaust ports and you'll know what i mean.

anyhow the next nsx (if it has a v8, whcih it probably wont) really rests in if toyota decides to built a v-8 or v-10 supra. the word is the next nsx will be built accordingly to the acura dn-x or dualnote chassis and engine unless toyota does well in formula one this year. now we all obviously know that mr. schumacher and the ferrari team are taking formula one by storm this year, so the chances of toyota building a commemorative halo car supra is zilch. in addition honda estimates that building a high revving v8 thats specific output is 400+ horsepower and has the abilitly to compete and beat teh 360 modena would cost an estimated 800 million dollars in R&D.

honda recently dropped its alliance in formula one with (sauber i think it was) correct? honda is supplying engines for CART as i thought, whcih is currently in turmoil. i dont know if it is recent news that they are supplying engines for IRL, but it takes an estimated 2 years to effectively test and build a new engine for these leagues.

7. Re: Possibility of V8 in next Gen NSX is slim to none.......

Honda is actually entering the IRL in 2003 as an engine supplier in a partnership with Ilmor Engineering, and is pulling out of CART this year, due to CARTs rule change or so they say.

I believe Honda cancelled its partnership with Jordan, to focus its efforts with BAR.