Rally or F1?

Discussion in '2002 Ferrari F2002' started by jforrest18, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Now I have been thinking on this topic for sometime now, are rally drivers or F1 drivers better? I'm not sure if they can be compared. Certainly the cars in F1 are the best in the world, but handling one i assume cant be easy or everyone could do it. Then you have rally racing, it is amazing what they can do, not only on the dirt, snow, or ice, but on the road sections too. Watching them hand braking around corners is orgasmic, they are so damn good. What i am curious to know is who are better drives, F1 or rally, and why? I love watching both, and i cant decide, i am leaning towards rally in terms of agressive drivers but then again F1 drivers im sure are flawless behind the wheels of there supercars.

2. Re: Rally or F1?

You can't compare these two.

The hardest thing in Rallye Racing isn't driving the car itself, but to evaluate the informations of your Co-Driver and anticipate a track that is almost unknown to you. So it is keeping the car on track but always thinking 2 curves ahead.

Formula One Racing is about precision. Drifting and spinning that is done in Rallye all the time would cost you time so it's about not to drift and spin.

I think these two are both demanding, but unless a Rallye Champ tries his luck in F1 or vice versa no-one can really have a clue.

3. Re: Rally or F1?

>unless a Rallye Champ tries his luck in F1 or vice versa

Maybe even if that happens, the rally driver might not be familiar with the different driving style of F1 enough to win or vice versa, so it's really hard to say.

4. Re: Rally or F1?

I saw David Coulthard interviewed on a show covering the swedish rally. He said 'to be going 120mph down a gravelly hill with trees only a few feet away from each side, and approaching a hard corner you've only been round once before - you'd have to be a madman.'

I'd really like to see colin mcrae behind the wheel of an F1 car.
    In my opinion, i think rally drivers would be better at driving an F1 car than F1 drivers would be driving a rally car!

Then again, do you remember senna had a go at rallying in the 80's. some charity rally thing. his F1 team were v angry because his hands were so blistered for the next GP. but he still won . .

5. Re: Rally or F1?

Well I would have to say Rally wins over F1, because of the way Rally Racing is done. If you were gonna put a rally driver in F1 it would definitly be Richard Burns or Tommi Makkinen B/C they are the best.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Rally or F1?

Okay, i'll agree with what has been said. But what i was think was not putting a rally driver into F1 or vis versa. I mean taking both putting them in say a GT2, who would be a better driver?

7. Re: Rally or F1?

in 1996 Colin McRae did a few laps in an F1 car and Martin Brundle did vice-versa in a rally car for a magazine article, McRae I think was relatively closer to Brundle's F1 lap times than Brundle was to McRae's Rally times, I do remeber McRae eventually crashed the F1 car going for broke on his last lap.

I'm not sure if this a fair comparison because McRae was world champion, and Martin Brundle never won a grand prix.

8. Re: Rally or F1?

I don't think you can compare them either. Rally drivers are certainly more crazy when you consider the speeds they do within inches of cliff edges.

9. Re: Rally or F1?

I agree they are two very different sports. Two questions.

Can the Rally driver handle the power of a F1 supermachine?
    Can the F1 driver live up to the techiques/styles of rally racing?, in other words does the F1 driver have the balls to dare do what the rally driver does on snow because the rally driver has the balls to do what the F1 does on the track?

10. Re: Rally or F1?

Again, what about if you put them in the same car? Not a rally or a F1 car.

11. Re: Rally or F1?

I don't think they can be compared. You should be comparing the LeMan cars and F1. Now there's the question! Who would win 5 laps around the LeMan track, this Ferrari or the Audi R8 or whatever it's called

12. Re: Rally or F1?

That is not a contest. The Ferrari would destroy the R8 unquestionably. F1 cars are the fastest all around cars in the world. Dragsters accelerate faster but can't turn, and these cars have the best handling out of every car.

13. Re: Rally or F1?

Yeah you would need a gravel road for a rally car to beat an F1 car.

14. Re: Rally or F1?

Getting to the original question. If you were to put a rally driver and an F1 driver in the same car, such as a GT2 then, again it depends. If you were to send the two to a track then the F1 driver would probably win, just because they have had more experience of the style of driving on the track, that is not drifting and using handbrake turns etc to minimise the lap times. however, on a road where the rally drivers style would be favourable, the rally driver would probably be further infront of the F1 driver, than the F1 driver was infront of the rally driver on the track. Following this, i would have to say that Rally drivers are better, only because of their ability over a greater number of surfaces. But the factor of how hard the drivers push isn't really looked at. An F1 driver can drive at less than 10 tenths, but they are still in complete control of the car. If a rally driver was to drive at anything less than that then the car would be terrible to control, understeering wildly and being generally difficult to drive since they are set up to be driven so hard.

15. Re: Rally or F1?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 700bhpcaterham</i>
    <b>Getting to the original question. If you were to put a rally driver and an F1 driver in the same car, such as a GT2 then, again it depends. If you were to send the two to a track then the F1 driver would probably win, just because they have had more experience of the style of driving on the track, that is not drifting and using handbrake turns etc to minimise the lap times. however, on a road where the rally drivers style would be favourable, the rally driver would probably be further infront of the F1 driver, than the F1 driver was infront of the rally driver on the track. Following this, i would have to say that Rally drivers are better, only because of their ability over a greater number of surfaces. But the factor of how hard the drivers push isn't really looked at. An F1 driver can drive at less than 10 tenths, but they are still in complete control of the car. If a rally driver was to drive at anything less than that then the car would be terrible to control, understeering wildly and being generally difficult to drive since they are set up to be driven so hard.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree, i think that rally drivers are more talented only because of experience of many types of racing styles. F1 drivers only drive on the track thus limited there flexibility of different type of races.

16. Re: Rally or F1?

Flexibility on rally drivers? i agree on that. However I would like you to consider the conditions in which both type of drivers are submitted to. I'm not much of a rally fan myself but i've seen several rally races and it seems very challenging to follow what your co-driver says and try to tackle those slippery curves. One thing I know about Formula1 drivers is that they need to be in ultimate concentration. formula1 cars have a lot of road holding capabilities, so far the maximum lateral Gs in a car measured up to 5, I really dont think that driving around with a car to those extremes is any easy. Precision and lighting fast reaction is what is demanded from the drivers in F1 when they are approaching corners. imagine 60-0 in less than 1 second. all i'm saying is to consider these facts, formula1 drivers experience alot of physical pounding in those cars. I mean just take a look to one of the drivers' neck!!!!!!They are huge because they are continuously fighting the laws of gravity!!!!

17. Re: Rally or F1?

IŽd say, the comparison is a hard thing, but take a look at this: good old michael schumacher takes seat in his "hell-on-wheels" ferrari, circles twice for warming up and then goes round a track he could drive blindly while getting blown for 1 1/2 hours, gets out of the car,receives a shower and compliments and 5 million dollars. Our average rally driver takes seat in a normal production car and he and his co-pilot do six hours of consequent "driving very fast-but not yet on the limit" for two days in row. On competition day then they hit the road in a torque monster that is a second or so slower from 0-60 has no traction bullshit or so and they have to circle 500 different corners at top speed while doinŽstunts we here dream of. we could them too, but we neither have the money nor the health of buinŽa new car and a new spine every three curves.
    So, what i think is, that rally drivin in a competition is faaaaar more demanding than doinŽa formula one race. BUT, none of us would survive a lap in a formula one car. so, leave it to them the ones are the real cool stuntmen and the others do some real hot go-kart racing.
    Rallye rules.

18. Re: Rally or F1?

Most of what you said was correct, except for the thing about traction control.. The rally cars have got traction control..

I remember on the TV show about the first rally this season that petter solberg in his subaru stopped in the beginning of a stage. He said in a interview after the rally that he stopped because the traction didn't have enough slip in the beginning so instead of spinning away he choaked the engine and had to start over..<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Rally or F1?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from xiancorp</i>
    <b>Most of what you said was correct, except for the thing about traction control.. The rally cars have got traction control..

I remember on the TV show about the first rally this season that petter solberg in his subaru stopped in the beginning of a stage. He said in a interview after the rally that he stopped because the traction didn't have enough slip in the beginning so instead of spinning away he choaked the engine and had to start over..</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Traction control (i think) is defined as a sensor-array watching over the tyres in a way that they are not able to slip, making sure the rear wonŽt go crazy. If a rallye car had a traction control, any single drift would be impossible. The 4wd makes it.

20. Re: Rally or F1?

Rallying is probably tougher but driving in an F1 car is amazingly tough. Imagine pulling 3-4 g's through a corner, lapping backmarkers, slowing down at the right place, getting a pitstop right.. man that is tough! <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Rally or F1?

lapping backmarkers is considerably easier since they introduced the "blue flag" rule.

22. Re: Rally or F1?

Boyz think about the tarmac races... the rally guys are doin the same as f1 by going the straightest possable line... they are pushing the limits. but f1 also has the fact that they are going twice as fast. but the rally guys have less room for forgiveness, even though one little scrath on f1 and there are done. it's diffrent for rally in that sence

23. #23 ShuemyFan, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Rally or F1?

i'm glad to see that almost all post reflect common sense! it isn't possible to compare the two drivers, WRC and F1 are so different in nature, the only thing they really have in common is a motor. a steering wheel and four wheels at each corner (i'm exaggerating).

TOTALLY off the subject...check out these sites and email me your feedback:

[ ]http://www.rugeley.demon.co.uk/sport/drag/sammy.htm]
    [ ]http://www.au004a2814.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/miller.htm]

...it's pure madness I tell ya!!<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: Rally or F1?

I can't get those links to work, but bu the title of the first one I'm guessing it's about a Jet-powered car. If it's the Jet Drag car I'm thinking of driven by an American called "Slammin Sammy" it does like 0-400 MPH in like 6 seconds or something ridiculous like that.

back to the topic, Jean Alesi competed in a Rally in France last year, he crashed out in one of the later stages but he was doing really well up to that point.

25. Re: Rally or F1?

In F1, you race in tracks "recorded in your memory", so you can prevent a lot of things foward...The best drivers are those who really know their cars and know better (from memory) how to deal the tracks.

In Rallies you have NO idea of what's comming...The best drivers are those who really know their cars and "know" better how to deal with the "unknow"...<!-- Signature -->